What's new

Netflix Just Hit a Home Run!

AlaskanAssassin

A major problem I have with the American workplace is the lack of support around those who recently had a baby. Federal regulations require employers to retain employees during an unpaid period of 12 weeks after the birth or adoption. Many countries have much greater requirements for employers and results are more motivated workers while the business doesn't skip a beat. John Oliver recently ranted about this on his weekly HBO show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIhKAQX5izw

To the point, Netflix has made a similar change to their corporate culture.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/business/netflix-offers-expanded-maternity-and-paternity-leave.html?_r=0

Quote:
Netflix announced on Tuesday that it was starting an unlimited leave policy for new mothers and fathers for the first year after the birth or adoption of a child.

As part of the new maternity and paternity policy, employees will receive their normal pay. They will be able to return to work part time or full time, and they may also return to work and then take additional time off, if needed.

This policy far exceeds typical such leave at corporations in the United States, where there are few federal policies aimed at working parents. The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 provides employees at companies of a certain size 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

“Netflix’s continued success hinges on us competing for and keeping the most talented individuals in their field,” Tawni Cranz, chief talent officer at Netflix, said in a blog post on the company’s website.

I will forever be a Netflix customer. More businesses should take this route.

I dont know why people need a year off for a baby. It is your choice to have a kid, dont think employers and government need to give you anything because of it. If you like your job and cant do it after having a baby, dont have a baby or pick a new job. I also dont think people need tax benefits for having kids, if you cant afford kids dont have them.

Probing question: do you have kids? Have you ever been 100% responsible for another person that relies on you for absolutely everything? Just curious and trying to put your view into perspective.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

As a father, I have no need for a year paternity leave. Nor would I want one.

Don't you know that American workers are just fine? They don't need anything else! They're the best treated working class in the world!

If anything, we should be requiring those that have a baby to work MORE hours.

--F

Good for Netflix, I guess. If it is an important differentiator that brings in better talent then it was the right move. I would suspect, however, that in practice a father taking an entire year leave would reflect badly on him and would be taken account into further promotions. The first time they get sued because of this, I would suspect this to be revisited.

In reality, in the near future, there will be less 9 to 5 office space employment and more flex contract work which will be more compatible with families. It will probably mean a little less security for the employee on the downside however. . .

Don't you know that American workers are just fine? They don't need anything else! They're the best treated working class in the world!

If anything, we should be requiring those that have a baby to work MORE hours.

--F

AND put the damn babies to work too

at least they could lie there and be paperweights or something

One year gives you time to have kid after kid and never go back to work. Not sure they thought this through.

Yeah I would bet there is already something written into the official policy to address that. It's unlikely the policy reads "after your kids arrives just take all the time you need and have fun!"

I dont know why people need a year off for a baby. It is your choice to have a kid, dont think employers and government need to give you anything because of it. If you like your job and cant do it after having a baby, dont have a baby or pick a new job. I also dont think people need tax benefits for having kids, if you cant afford kids dont have them.

FWIW I agree with this to an extent. While I have appreciated time off to spend with the new born and the tax credits I think it is discriminatory against people that choose not to have children. And it is a choice. Same with marriage tax benefits. Why should choosing, or being allowed, to get married result in these arbitrary benefits single people don't get. It's funny how loudly people scream over some injustices and then how quiet everyone is about others that have been around for decades.

Last edited:
Is there a limit? Otherwise won't some people just have kid after kid to get paid for not working? (Or for double dipping?) Heck, my sister in law had ten kids in 15 years even WITHOUT such a plan. Would they really have paid both her and my brother in law each for 15 years of work even though they only worked 5?

Yeah I would bet there is already something written into the official policy to address that. It's unlikely the policy reads "after your kids arrives just take all the time you need and have fun!"

Is there a limit? Otherwise won't some people just have kid after kid to get paid for not working? (Or for double dipping?) Heck, my sister in law had ten kids in 15 years even WITHOUT such a plan. Would they really have paid both her and my brother in law each for 15 years of work even though they only worked 5?

Yep. Having written such policies and administered many such in my career I can guarantee you there are stipulations. But I am sure the gist of it is correct.

FWIW I agree with this to an extent. Wow I have appreciated time of to spend with the new born and the tax credits I think it is discriminatory against people that choose not to have children. And it is a choice. Same with marriage tax benefits. Why should choosing, or being allowed, to get married result in these arbitrary benefits single people don't get. It's funny how loudly people scream over some injustices and then how quiet everyone is about others that have been around for decades.

Never really cared until friends and coworkers of mine who were so terrible with their money and had kids they couldnt afford get huge tax returns because of those kids. Kids are great and if you want them great just not sure why I should pay taxes that go to your kids. I also never got why people got preferred treatment at work because they have kids. I dont see a good reason that you should get extra time off because you have a child. This has nothing to do with work. I got very upset a few years ago when my company did cut back and I got put part time and a co-worker stayed full time. I was (im biased) a much better employee than him and made the company a lot more money. My boss informed me it was because they other guy had kids to take care of and I didnt. I (according to him) could afford to take the hit. This is the second time something of this nature has happened to me.

There are enough crappy parents in the world dont incentives them to have more or any. Let people who want kids for a good reasons and can take care of them be the ones having kids.

I have been married 11 years and have chosen not to have kids up to this point, that could change but not that big of deal to me either way. My life without kids is pretty awesome. Life with kids or kid would be great too but very different.

Never really cared until friends and coworkers of mine who were so terrible with their money and had kids they couldnt afford get huge tax returns because of those kids. Kids are great and if you want them great just not sure why I should pay taxes that go to your kids. I also never got why people got preferred treatment at work because they have kids. I dont see a good reason that you should get extra time off because you have a child. This has nothing to do with work. I got very upset a few years ago when my company did cut back and I got put part time and a co-worker stayed full time. I was (im biased) a much better employee than him and made the company a lot more money. My boss informed me it was because they other guy had kids to take care of and I didnt. I (according to him) could afford to take the hit. This is the second time something of this nature has happened to me.

There are enough crappy parents in the world dont incentives them to have more or any. Let people who want kids for a good reasons and can take care of them be the ones having kids.

I have been married 11 years and have chosen not to have kids up to this point, that could change but not that big of deal to me either way. My life without kids is pretty awesome. Life with kids or kid would be great too but very different.

Partly I get society and government helping kids. It is to our communal benefit to ensure all children have a basic education and to minimize poverty. One could argue it would be to our benefit to provide an advanced education as well. Without reproduction we would, of course, die out, so on some level it is also necessary that we have kids as a society. But I believe there should be no incentive or benefit of being married or having a family beyond the benefits of association (insurance, inheritance, etc.). There should be no tax credits or other monetary benefits simply for choosing to have kids. There should be no marriage benefit on your taxes for being married. I think these are discriminatory practices that simply would not be allowed in other facets of public life.

Funny, if you are married or have kids you get tax benefits singles and childless don't, yet I cannot have a business that excludes people based on their marital or family status. I cannot make hiring decisions based on that either as a business owner/manager. That is protected by law and I would get sued and fined. But the government sure can discriminate based on that status. It is ridiculous.

If Utah businesses honored the same type of arrangement, no one would work since they all pop kids out in some type of raging Killer Instinct c-c-c-c-c-ombo breaker.