What's new

Neto's shooting

zman1527

I like Neto a lot: good handle and movement with the ball, gifted passer, pretty good D. But dang, he cannot get the ball to go into the hoop. Why is that anyone? His form looks good to me, he generally looks to be in good position when he shoots. Whats up with that? What is his long term prognosis? If he could shoot just well enough to get some respect from the D, he could be pretty good.

2 main reasons, he's constantly waiting for the last moment when he's shooting to change to a pass. That can't be conducive to high shooting %'s long-term. also sometimes he waits too long in the shotclock trying to make something happen, and has to take something akward to try and hit the rim.

Secondly, he just genuinely looks rushed, like a QB who feels the blitz before it comes.. Especially inside the arc, he kinda shoots like someone who's worried about getting blocked. You could honestly see it early on, taking that floater from some less than ideal angles. He stops on a dime, but its kind of a violent type of movement, rather than something that looks natural and easy -- Hopefully he's just a rookie, and he settles down.

His %'s last year in the ACB indicate that his current shooting %'s are probably not just bad luck and a small sample size.. This is how he plays. 32% from 3 is passable, can he maintain that tho??

2 main reasons, he's constantly waiting for the last moment when he's shooting to change to a pass. That can't be conducive to high shooting %'s long-term. also sometimes he waits too long in the shotclock trying to make something happen, and has to take something akward to try and hit the rim.

In addition to the obvious similarities, he reminds me a lot of Raul Lopez. By the time word got around on him the defense would routinely close down the passing lanes and the offense would get stagnant while he figured out what to do with the ball other than shoot it. Which makes it appear like he turns down decent looks to take a bad one - saw that a couple times last night.

Neto's biggest knock coming into the league is that he couldn't shoot so it be no surprise that he can't shoot.

Im done with Neto and regardless of Burke's recent success, we need an upgrade at PG in the worst way though I wouldn't mind Burke coming off the bench as he currently is. I think the verdict is still out on T. Exum.

Neto's biggest knock coming into the league is that he couldn't shoot so it be no surprise that he can't shoot.

Im done with Neto and regardless of Burke's recent success, we need an upgrade at PG in the worst way though I wouldn't mind Burke coming off the bench as he currently is. I think the verdict is still out on T. Exum.

I would opt that the Jazz dip into the DLeague and sign Erick Green as a point guard. He was the guy the Jazz traded for Gobert on draft night and was taken one spot higher than Neto. He is currently leading the DLeague in scoring and was the NCAA leader in scoring his senior year of college. Perhaps he could provide a spark at the point.

My thoughts exactly. Neto shot poorly all his years in Europe. Surely he's worked on his shooting EVERY offseason and it still hasn't improved.
Also shouldn't bank on a player who had a terrible rookie season and then a major injury. DL needs to look for a starting caliber PG. Then if Exum EARNS back his starting role, fantastic. He was only made a starter because the other PG sucked.

I'm OK keeping Neto around as a third pg, just because he has his uses in hassling shorter floor general pg's like Chris Paul.

Let's keep in mind he was supposed to be a third pg who was going to develop versus be thrust into the starting lineup. I'm not giving up on him being an NBA player, but I think he has really limited upside. I would love to get someone to replace his minutes as his development is not a big priority.

Is there a 6' tall player who shoots a jumper with as little lift as Neto?

This is a good question... I remember thinking Lawson was pretty flat footed on his jumper as well as Bledsoe on set spot up shots... I may be remembering it wrong though... don't watch either guy enough.

Let's keep in mind he was supposed to be a third pg who was going to develop versus be thrust into the starting lineup. I'm not giving up on him being an NBA player, but I think he has really limited upside. I would love to get someone to replace his minutes as his development is not a big priority.

Disagree: I think he has decent upside. Not all star but pretty good. IF, IF IF, he can shoot.

He's a rookie point guard starting the game defending and playing against the best pg's in the game. You guys are a bunch a nancys if you are saying "yeah he's good at this, but not good at that, lets get someone different". Give me a break

This.

People need to stop getting their hearts broken and then joining the Resentment Parade. Neto is a second-round-pick rookie. Calm yourselves.

My thoughts exactly. Neto shot poorly all his years in Europe. Surely he's worked on his shooting EVERY offseason and it still hasn't improved.
Also shouldn't bank on a player who had a terrible rookie season and then a major injury. DL needs to look for a starting caliber PG. Then if Exum EARNS back his starting role, fantastic. He was only made a starter because the other PG sucked.

This is just not true. Simply not true. every measuring stick rates Exum's first season as fantastic on D but very poor to poor on O. That's the fact. Forgetting one side of the ball is easy. If we measured Gobert's ability at how well he shoots, he'd be out to de DLeague.

This is just not true. Simply not true. every measuring stick rates Exum's first season as fantastic on D but very poor to poor on O. That's the fact. Forgetting one side of the ball is easy. If we measured Gobert's ability at how well he shoots, he'd be out to de DLeague.

Jimmer had 37 points and 8 dimes in the DLeague Monday.

Neto has a slow release on his jump shot. He can knock down wide open shots but I don't expect him to be a consistent shooter.