What's new

Nets hiring Jason Kidd as Head Coach?

Duck Rodgers

I like it.

https://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9378352/brooklyn-nets-hire-jason-kidd-sources

The Brooklyn Nets have chosen Jason Kidd as their next coach, according to sources close to the process.

Brian Shaw has been notified he is not getting the job, one source close to the process told ESPN. Sources told ESPN.com that, although Shaw had been targeted by the Nets for some time and made a strong presentation during a five-hour interview Wednesday, Kidd convinced Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and his advisers that he is ready to jump directly into the lead seat on an NBA bench despite the fact that he has no prior coaching experience.

Don't know why Kidd wouldn't succeed right out of the gate! He's got one of the highest basketball IQ's in the game......is a "modern day" ball player that can relate to "hip hop" ball and it's counterpart! He has records coming out of the ying yang.....and should garner the respect of his players, especially Deron Williams!

And the same teams wonder why they are constantly underachieving? Sheesh! With Karl, Hollins, phil jackson, jerry sloan, Doug Collins, Flip Saunders, and Doc Rivers possibly available... You go with a guy who has never coached in his life? Stupid.

More often than not, great players make for horrible coaches.

And the Van Gundy bros. there's no reason why a team should go with someone like Kidd. Plenty of good experienced coaches on the free market right now. While free agency for players sucks this summer. The market for coaches is available.

Didn't see this one coming. And the sad thing...he'll probably manage rotations a lot better than Corbin.

Jason Kidd was probably being an NBA player/Coach trainee over this course of the season. Woodson isn't a bad coach to get some lead info off of either.

I can see J-Kidd doing fine, I can see him failing miserably. It's kind of odd that he gets a coaching job off the jump of retirement, though. He must of got a 100% on his "Coaching General Knowledge" test.

That's a high risk - probably no reward move.

I agree it is high risk but I disagree on the no reward move. For all we know Kidd could be a fantastic coach. That's the rub. He is a unknown as fas as coaching.

And now the bad news.....

Does anyone remember that Jason Kidd was arrested for DUI last summer?

Josh Newman @Joshua_Newman As the Suffolk Prosecutor's Office confirms Kidd is due in court on June 20 for the DWI, I can confirm that is some wicked good PR to start

Mike Mazzeo @MazzESPN According to the AP, the misdemeanor charge Kidd faces carries the potential for a year in jail. Kidd pleaded not guilty

And now the bad news.....

Does anyone remember that Jason Kidd was arrested for DUI last summer?

Josh Newman @Joshua_Newman As the Suffolk Prosecutor's Office confirms Kidd is due in court on June 20 for the DWI, I can confirm that is some wicked good PR to start

Mike Mazzeo @MazzESPN According to the AP, the misdemeanor charge Kidd faces carries the potential for a year in jail. Kidd pleaded not guilty

...didn't I mention he's familiar with the "modern day" NBA player.....tattoo's, dui's and baby momma's and all???

I agree it is high risk but I disagree on the no reward move. For all we know Kidd could be a fantastic coach. That's the rub. He is a unknown as fas as coaching.

I believe he can be a great coach but not right away. He could be an assistant for a few years. Was PJ Carlesimo that bad in playoffs to be fired anyway?

I believe he can be a great coach but not right away. He could be an assistant for a few years. Was PJ Carlesimo that bad in playoffs to be fired anyway?

He might become a great coach but I agree. How soon he jumped straight to head coach is why I see it as a high risk. His unknown status as a coach is why I do not see it as a no potential reward move.

...didn't I mention he's familiar with the "modern day" NBA player.....tattoo's, dui's and baby momma's and all???

All current players are like this. See Favors, Hayward, Durant, Rose, Lillard... Also this kind of stuff never happened back in the day. Malone, Magic, Barkley, Rodman...all upstanding perfect members of society.

Interesting at least. But I think it's pretty good. He'll need a good staff more than most, so that'll be interesting to see. I like this move more than most of the Brooklyn Nets' other moves.

Interesting at least. But I think it's pretty good. He'll need a good staff more than most, so that'll be interesting to see. I like this move more than most of the Brooklyn Nets' other moves.

Why? (honest question) Does Kidd have some coaching background that I am not aware of (entierly possible)?

Why? (honest question) Does Kidd have some coaching background that I am not aware of (entierly possible)?

Ya he was the student manager for his HS team before the coach told him he should try out for the team. Amazing story.

posted from my htc one using tapaBONGO