What's new

Nets/Magic deal talks: Lopez, Humphries, Brooks & three first rounders

JJ Rage

Chris Broussard reporting that the Nets and Magic are discussing a deal that would send Dwight to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, Marshon Brooks, and the Nets' first round picks in 2013, 2015, and 2017.

The Joe Johnson trade was erroneously reported earlier as contingent on whether or not D-Will resigns with the Nets.

If the Dwight deal happens and Deron resigns, essentially the Nets will be left only with Johnson, Howard, and Williams.

Edit: Draft picks slightly changed

Last edited:
Lol... I wonder who the Nets can attract to fill out their roster. I know Jason Kidd will join wherever Deron goes too.

So if the Nets pull this off, and I'm reading contradicting things, the Nets Roster would look like this...

DWILL
JJohnson
GWallace
GGreen
DHoward
JKidd
7 Vet minimum guys

Honestly, that is not that bad.

Chris Broussard reporting that the Nets and Magic are discussing a deal that would send Dwight to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, Marshon Brooks, and the Nets' first round picks in 2014, 2016, and 2018.

The Joe Johnson trade was erroneously reported earlier as contingent on whether or not D-Will resigns with the Nets.

If the Dwight deal happens and Deron resigns, essentially the Nets will be left only with Johnson, Howard, and Williams.

Only? They'll still get dumbass veterans to skip into Brooklyn, hoping for a ring.

Only? They'll still get dumbass veterans to skip into Brooklyn, hoping for a ring.

I just meant signed players. Obviously they're going to plan for the Miami Heat model of signing a bunch of veteran minimum players. The trick is going to be if they can convince Deron and Dwight (when/if he extends) to take less money.

I just meant signed players. Obviously they're going to plan for the Miami Heat model of signing a bunch of veteran minimum players. The trick is going to be if they can convince Deron and Dwight (when/if he extends) to take less money.

I don't think it would matter anyway. I believe they would be in Luxury tax territory anyways. JJohnson makes more than any in the Miami big 3, and Gerald Wallace will be making 10 million. The Nets will have the minimum and maybe the mid-level (I can't remember the rules on the mid-level right now). D-Will and Howard will get there money.

Lol... I wonder who the Nets can attract to fill out their roster. I know Jason Kidd will join wherever Deron goes too.

So if the Nets pull this off, and I'm reading contradicting things, the Nets Roster would look like this...

DWILL
JJohnson
GWallace
GGreen
DHoward
JKidd
7 Vet minimum guys

Can they add Ilyasova to that? Then it would be a nice core.

There is still a chance that Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard could become a member of the Brooklyn Nets, according to league sources. The Nets and the Orlando Magic are discussing a trade that would send Howard to the Nets for Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and the Nets' first-round picks in 2013, 2015 and 2017, sources said.

Chris Mannix: In a potential deal with Orlando, source says Nets would be willing to take back Hedo Turkulu

DWILL
JJohnson
GWallace
GGreen
DHoward
JKidd
7 Vet minimum guys

I think I read something saying it wasn't necessarily true that Kids would follow D-Will. I'm also fairly certain that Jason Kidd isn't willing to play for the vet's minimum. I will see if I can back that up later.

Edit: Found on HoopsHype: Chris Broussard: I just spoke with @Deron Williams by telephone. He denied reports that he and Jason Kidd have decided to play for the same team (via Twitter).

I found a few blurbs on some sites about Kidd not wanting to play for the veteran's minimum, but no hard sources.

Last edited:
How does this trade work? I thought a team can't trade its first round pick two years in a row, but apparently that's wrong because the Nets have dealt their 2011 (to the Jazz) and 2012 pick (to Portland), and now they're supposedly offering their 2013 pick. Is that rule no longer on the books?

How does this trade work? I thought a team can't trade its first round pick two years in a row, but apparently that's wrong because the Nets have dealt their 2011 (to the Jazz) and 2012 pick (to Portland), and now they're supposedly offering their 2013 pick. Is that rule no longer on the books?

What you can't do is trade 1st round picks consecutively in the same trade, or have them in pending trades. The Nets can't trade the 2013, 2014, 2015 etc. However, if they pull off this trade ('13, '15, and '17) The Nets will effectively not be able to trade their '14, '16, or '18 1st round picks... I believe.

I really like the 2017 pick. No way the Nets can sustain being a good team for that long. I expect them to be a terrible team in 2017.

I really like the 2017 pick. No way the Nets can sustain being a good team for that long. I expect them to be a terrible team in 2017.

Huh?

Ur crazy. If they get this team together, they will still be in the playoffs with Dwight and Deron unless they lose those guys. Its only 5 years from now.

NJ had two 1st rounders last year. They traded one to us and used the other to draft Brooks. Because they made a pick in the first round last year, they were then able to trade their first rounder this year. They won't be able to trade their 2013 pick. That was erroneously reported.

NJ had two 1st rounders last year. They traded one to us and used the other to draft Brooks. Because they made a pick in the first round last year, they were then able to trade their first rounder this year. They won't be able to trade their 2013 pick. That was erroneously reported.

ESPN is still reporting that the deal is 2013, 2015, 2017. There must be some sort of loophole, or the original report at around 6am this morning (2014, 2016, 2018) was more accurate.

ESPN is still reporting that the deal is 2013, 2015, 2017. There must be some sort of loophole, or the original report at around 6am this morning (2014, 2016, 2018) was more accurate.

Or ESPN is just erroneously reporting misinformation as usual.