What's new

New Idea With Lakers

LoPo

Favors and Diaw
for
Randle, Kuzma, Deng, Thomas Bryant and a lottery protected future first.

Why for LA - they think they will get everybody in free agency next year (fat chance) so they need to dump Deng. Favors is a great player to help LA try to make the playoffs and yet he doesn't have a contract that hurts next summer. Kuzma, Bryant and Randle aren't as important as trying to target bigger fish next summer.

Why for us, and I will list the reasons:
1. Favors probably leaves next year anyway. This is great value.
2. I would immediately flip Randle for a first rounder elsewhere. He is a restricted free agent next summer.
3. Bradley, Kuzma and Bryant are three bigs with great potential with varied skill sets. At least 2 (Bradley and Kuzma) will be on fantastic deals longer than Deng's awful deal.
4. This is a deal to hopefully find a gem in either Kuzma or Bryant but also to gain a future first rounder (2 including Randle).
5. I never want to tank, ever. But this deal allows us to play youth which usually means less wins which would probably mean a better 2018 draft pick.
6. Minor here, but Kuzma is a Utah product which would lessen the sting of Favors leaving for some.

We could play Kuzma, Bradley, Deng, Bolomboy and Bryant at PF.

Thoughts?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I still don't see why LA does this. I think we are greatly over-valuing Favors. I could see them wanting to do a Deng + a pick for Favors directly, that would be about it. In the end we would either eat cap space to take on Deng or have to include players to get the salaries in line, and I would not want to do either. If this trade could go down this way, then hell yeah, but I do not see any way this works in the real world.

No. If we take that Deng contract it spells the end of this core. It would be a three year albatross. By the time it's gone Rudy will be 28 and we would still be looking for the right pieces to put around him. No, just no.

I still don't see why LA does this. I think we are greatly over-valuing Favors. I could see them wanting to do a Deng + a pick for Favors directly, that would be about it. In the end we would either eat cap space to take on Deng or have to include players to get the salaries in line, and I would not want to do either. If this trade could go down this way, then hell yeah, but I do not see any way this works in the real world.
LA traded the #2 pick in the draft to unload a contract smaller than Deng's. Randle is an expiring. Kuzma and Bryant are expendable. A lottery protected pick isnt that valuable to a team expecting to get PG and LBJ (in their dreams).

No. If we take that Deng contract it spells the end of this core. It would be a three year albatross. By the time it's gone Rudy will be 28 and we would still be looking for the right pieces to put around him. No, just no.
How?

This year is a wash.

Next year, 2018, Hood and Exum start new deals and would be our first year sniffing the luxury. But Burks would be an expiring we could dump.

The next year, 2019, Deng is an expiring we could dump.

We have to avoid the luxury in back to back years. We could easily do that.

Favors and Diaw
for
Randle, Kuzma, Deng, Thomas Bryant and a lottery protected future first.

Why for LA - they think they will get everybody in free agency next year (fat chance) so they need to dump Deng. Favors is a great player to help LA try to make the playoffs and yet he doesn't have a contract that hurts next summer. Kuzma, Bryant and Randle aren't as important as trying to target bigger fish next summer.

Why for us, and I will list the reasons:
1. Favors probably leaves next year anyway. This is great value.
2. I would immediately flip Randle for a first rounder elsewhere. He is a restricted free agent next summer.
3. Bradley, Kuzma and Bryant are three bigs with great potential with varied skill sets. At least 2 (Bradley and Kuzma) will be on fantastic deals longer than Deng's awful deal.
4. This is a deal to hopefully find a gem in either Kuzma or Bryant but also to gain a future first rounder (2 including Randle).
5. I never want to tank, ever. But this deal allows us to play youth which usually means less wins which would probably mean a better 2018 draft pick.
6. Minor here, but Kuzma is a Utah product which would lessen the sting of Favors leaving for some.

We could play Kuzma, Bradley, Deng, Bolomboy and Bryant at PF.

Thoughts?

I'd want more. That contract is ugly. I'd replace randle with nance jr. And probably replace Favors with something else or route him to a third team for equal expiring deals and pick up and asset.

I'd want two unprotected picks because they can't trade their pick next year or the year after and Kuzma at a minimum. They can keep randle and use him to get off of Clarksons money if they want.

I don't think Deng is as bad as he showed last year. Think he could be a decent small ball 4. I don't think he is completely dead money but the last year of that deal will be ugly.

LA wouldn't do it.

They have to move him this year if they getting Paul George and another max dude. I'm skeptical they can get it done but I'd try and scoop a ton of assets from them if they believe it. Cost Toronto a first and second for Carroll and I think deng has much more dead money.

I'd start with the two firsts nance and Kuzma and see if they bite.

Pretty good trade imo

How?

This year is a wash.

Next year, 2018, Hood and Exum start new deals and would be our first year sniffing the luxury. But Burks would be an expiring we could dump.

The next year, 2019, Deng is an expiring we could dump.

We have to avoid the luxury in back to back years. We could easily do that.

- No cap room for a significant addition in 2018

- No cap room for a significant addition in 2019

- It would be putting all of our eggs into the basket of developing what we have. If none of these youngsters (Hood, Mitchell, Exum, Kuzma, Bradley) develop liked we hoped then we are stuck without cap or top picks to change our situation.

We can take cap dumps and bad contracts but they need to be short contracts. 1 year preferable. 2 years max. We need cap space open because it gives us options and flexibility. We have to find two all star level talents in the next few years and quickly right the ship while Rudy is in his prime. That's impossible to do when you are paying terrible long-term contracts.

So why are we trying to help the Lakers out? We did that with GS too? I doubt the Lakers would do this deal and I wouldn't do it simply because the length of Deng's contract.

So why are we trying to help the Lakers out? We did that with GS too? I doubt the Lakers would do this deal and I wouldn't do it simply because the length of Deng's contract.

We got Hood and Bradley out of the GS deal so we got value for helping them. We would need much more value in this deal. I don't see us making a significant FA add this year or next... final year is ugly, but if we can get Exum/Hood extensions done and still fit Deng under the luxury tax I don't think its a bad idea...

Let me be clear I would need two unprotected picks and Kuzma at very least... would even ask for Nance Jr. to start.

They probably say no as they likely think they can hold him until the trade deadline and not have to give up as much.

The Lakers are going to wait until 2018 to dump anyone. They need to see if they can get George and if they can get the thumbs up from Lebron or another star that they want to join. That's when they will enter desperation dump mode. And if the Lakers get George and Lebron, their first round picks become much less valuable.

So in short, please stop bringing up Luol Deng trades. The Lakers dont have enough assets to unload him unless they are dealing Ingram because their picks arent valuable if they are actually getting Paul George and/or Lebron James.

The Lakers are going to wait until 2018 to dump anyone. They need to see if they can get George and if they can get the thumbs up from Lebron or another star that they want to join. That's when they will enter desperation dump mode. And if the Lakers get George and Lebron, their first round picks become much less valuable.

So in short, please stop bringing up Luol Deng trades. The Lakers dont have enough assets to unload him unless they are dealing Ingram because their picks arent valuable if they are actually getting Paul George and/or Lebron James.

If we offered it now they'd likely consider it and if they were worried that their picks lose value if everyone knows LBJ and PG are coming then they will need to add even more valuable. There is value in the uncertainty right now. Everyone will also know they are over a barrel and there are not nearly as many salary dump places as in year's gone by.

It's worth a conversation, but like 99% of the stuff we discuss it doesn't happen.

If we offered it now they'd likely consider it and if they were worried that their picks lose value if everyone knows LBJ and PG are coming then they will need to add even more valuable. There is value in the uncertainty right now. Everyone will also know they are over a barrel and there are not nearly as many salary dump places as in year's gone by.

It's worth a conversation, but like 99% of the stuff we discuss it doesn't happen.

It's not even worth a conversation. This poster has brought up trading for Luol Deng countless times to the point where it feels like spam.

I'm Kuzma's #1 fan here, but I'm not trading for him at the price of taking on Deng's contract and a bunch of scrub rookie contracts + a 2019 pick that probably won't be that good (besides teams basically never trade unprotected picks anymore).

And the big point: they have no reason to not wait to do any kind of deal involving Deng until 2018 as his negative value decreases every year.

Really? They just dumped Russell. And they have to re-sign Randle. C'mon man. Think ahead.