What's new

"New" Pink Floyd

Bronco70

world's worst
Contributor
Pink Floyd will release lost recordings

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=1011&sid=15517265

English rock band Pink Floyd has been sharing their psychedelic rock across the world since 1963, but the famed group hasn't released an album since 1994. That's about to change.

Pink Floyd recently announced they will release never before heard recordings from their archives.

The release of the lost tracks is in connection with the launch of their campaign "Why Pink Floyd…?" According to Rolling Stone the "massive reissue campaign (is) meant to deepen and expand the band's extraordinary musical legacy."

Starpulse.com says the "initiative comes amid renewed attempts to get the remaining trio, Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason, together following a cooling of past feuds."

WENN.com in its article, "Pink Floyd Open The Vaults For Pre-Christmas Bonanza" explains what we can expect to get with the reissue.

"The September releases also include DVDs, Blu-ray discs, various digital formats, iPhone Apps and also a new best of compilation, A Foot in the Door, which features tracks chosen by the band."

"Some of the very early demo stuff from '66 is extraordinary." -- Nick Mason, drummer Pink Floyd
Rolling Stone gives more insight to the lost recordings that will be included. "Some of the very early demo stuff from '66 is extraordinary - things we recorded in Broadhurst Gardens mainly so we could enter the Melody Maker beat competition," Floyd drummer Nick Mason told the magazine. He went on to say, "It's extraordinary primarily because of Syd [Barrett], hearing him so crystal clear, the way he was playing, and bringing back memories of that first year, when I first met him."

The first installment of the "Why Pink Floyd…?" campaign will be released on September 26 with all 14 of their studio albums remastered with photo books as well as an ‘Immersion' and 'Experience' editions version of "The Dark Side of the Moon" which includes hours of extras as well as some of the never released tracks. There will also be a vinyl edition of the album, along with digital downloads.

The second installment will be released on November 7, with the album "A Foot in the Door - The Best of Pink Floyd" along with a vinyl edition and ‘Immersion' and 'Experience' editions of "Wish You Were Here".

Finally on February 27, 2012 the band will release "The Wall" with ‘Immersion' and 'Experience' editions as well as a vinyl and digital downloads.

This excites me.

I've been around long enough to know that "lost tracks" is a euphemism for unrelease-able crap from when they were relevant.

I've been around long enough to know that "lost tracks" is a euphemism for unrelease-able crap from when they were relevant.

LOL This is exactly what I told my son today when he mentioned PF was releasing a new album of never before heard tracks that they recorded over 20 years ago.

There have been some artists who had good "lost" tracks. Springsteen. And, um, Springsteen.

Money...it's a hit!

The surviving members of Pink Floyd — Roger Waters, David Gilmour, and Nick Mason — have sworn they will never reunite to tour again after breaking up in the mid-'80s, but at Roger Waters' show last night at London's O2 Arena (part of his current The Wall Live Tour), the three reunited for a rare on-stage collaboration, their third in as many decades. Watch fan-shot footage of them performing "Comfortably Numb" and "Outside the Wall" below.

The reunion was months in the making. Last summer, Waters and Gilmour, who had a falling out during the making of 1983's The Final Cut, buried the hatchet to perform at a benefit concert for the Hoping Foundation. (It was the first time they played together since 2005's Live 8 show in London, which was their first show in 24 years.) Gilmour promised to join Waters for one of his Wall shows if he participated in the charity show.

"How could I refuse such an offer?" Waters wrote on his Facebook page. Ten months later, Gilmour made good on his end of the bargain, which was made even sweeter with the addition of drummer Mason for a rendition of "Outside the Wall." (Pink Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright died in 2008.)

Despite Gilmour and Waters reunion, Gilmour says it was definitely a one-off. A post on his official site reads, "David is not repeating his special guest performance for a later occasion."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRSChj6w4c

LOL This is exactly what I told my son today when he mentioned PF was releasing a new album of never before heard tracks that they recorded over 20 years ago.

There have been some artists who had good "lost" tracks. Springsteen. And, um, Springsteen.

This may be the case, but I am excited anyway. I dig the stuff Syd did, and am interested to hear more. I'm sure for anyone who's PF experience is basically the radio tracks off The Wall and DSOTM, it will probably be less than interesting.