What's new

New Summer League thread

My only predraft homer pick Podz has lost his shot completely but been surprisingly good as a playmaker and passer.

Im sure the shot will start falling at some point but I'm surprised he has struggled with pretty much the only thing I thought was 100% bankable.

Are there other team's players that are not under contract that have caught anyone's eye that could be replacements for our two way players?

Are there other team's players that are not under contract that have caught anyone's eye that could be replacements for our two way players?
Dominick Barlow - San Antonio Spurs

Not exactly sure if what his situation is, but he might be worth a look. He’s been playing well for the Spurs this summer.

Dominick Barlow - San Antonio Spurs

Not exactly sure if what his situation is, but he might be worth a look. He’s been playing well for the Spurs this summer.
Wiki says he's on a two way contract. The last game of the season he put up 21 points 19 boards vs the Mavs.

Wiki says he's on a two way contract. The last game of the season he put up 21 points 19 boards vs the Mavs.
I wonder what the culture in the NBA is in regard to trying to pick off other team's 2-way guys.

I think (could be wrong) that a team can basically cut a 2-way guy whenever they want. I also know it's the culture for teams to allow other teams to (at least sometimes) snag someone else's assistant coach or front-office guy if that other team wants to give them a clear bump up in job title/pay.

So, given these, would a team prevent another team from trying to bring in their two-way guy as, say, a guaranteed full NBA contract?

I guess I haven't heard of this situation coming up, so it's probably either an unspoken rule that teams don't try to poach other teams' two-way players or that teams simply won't consider letting a 2-way player go, even if it's clear another team would give them a full NBA contract.

Not sure he's actually signed with the Spurs on a two-way at this point. Spotrac indicates that he's a RFA (maybe somewhat akin to what Juzang with the Jazz was before the Jazz rescinded their claim to make room for the Reed offer sheet (if I'm not mistaken).

And Rotowire.com recently had this to say:
Drops 19 points
July 14, 2023
Barlow put up 19 points (8-12 FG, 3-6 FT), 11 rebounds, two assists and two blocks in 30 minutes during Friday's 79-73 Summer League loss to Detroit.
ANALYSIS
Along with guys like Victor Wembanyama, Julian Champagnie and Malaki Branham, Barlow has really stood out on this Summer League roster. Barlow played with the Spurs on a two-way contract last season and is doing his part to secure at least a training camp invite.

So maybe he's available, but with the Spurs holding a right to match as a restricted free agent?