What's new

New videos for Jazz fans addressing race and racism

LifeOnaPlate

Hey. I've been MIA around the board since everything went down in March. Honestly it's been too painful to spend time thinking much about the Jazz with how the season was going and with how the league shut down and how our guys were divided. But I'm still here.

I was watching all the discussions about racism on Twitter and Facebook and decided I had to do something. So I came up with a series of videos called "Five Minute Fights Against Racism." It's a series of videos debunking stereotypes, addressing common misconceptions, and helping Jazz fans get better equipped to fight racism in ourselves and our community. I would hugely appreciate your feedback, comments, and most importantly, if you would follow the accounts, subscribe on YouTube, and share it. I think we have to address the reputation problem head-on.

YouTube channel: bit.ly/antiracistjazzvids
Facebook page: fb.me/5minutefights
Twitter and Instagram @antiracistjazz

Hey. I've been MIA around the board since everything went down in March. Honestly it's been too painful to spend time thinking much about the Jazz with how the season was going and with how the league shut down and how our guys were divided. But I'm still here.

I was watching all the discussions about racism on Twitter and Facebook and decided I had to do something. So I came up with a series of videos called "Five Minute Fights Against Racism." It's a series of videos debunking stereotypes, addressing common misconceptions, and helping Jazz fans get better equipped to fight racism in ourselves and our community. I would hugely appreciate your feedback, comments, and most importantly, if you would follow the accounts, subscribe on YouTube, and share it. I think we have to address the reputation problem head-on.

YouTube channel: bit.ly/antiracistjazzvids
Facebook page: fb.me/5minutefights
Twitter and Instagram @antiracistjazz

Many thanks, LOP!! Enjoyed the first one and wish you well with future installments. I agree that we need to start with ourselves first.

One of the things I'm confronting in trying to live a more anti-racist life is pleasure I get from sports talk (such as on this board) in which part of the seduction is fantasizing that I have control over the buying and selling of players -- treating them as disposable commodities, basically. It's not something I'm morally comfortable with (and I hope I never am), though I recognize that it's part of the whole system that generates billions of dollars and tens of thousands of jobs. One of the things I admire about LOP is that I've never gotten the sense that treating players as commodities is part of his fandom.

I hope he doesn't mind me pushing (what appears likely to be) another anti-racist project on this thread: the Utah YWCA's 21-Day Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge. I can't vouch for this program, as it hasn't even started yet, but it looks like a good way to help prepare us for the return of the NBA (starts tomorrow, ends July 27).

Many thanks, LOP!! Enjoyed the first one and wish you well with future installments. I agree that we need to start with ourselves first.

One of the things I'm confronting in trying to live a more anti-racist life is pleasure I get from sports talk (such as on this board) in which part of the seduction is fantasizing that I have control over the buying and selling of players -- treating them as disposable commodities, basically. It's not something I'm morally comfortable with (and I hope I never am), though I recognize that it's part of the whole system that generates billions of dollars and tens of thousands of jobs. One of the things I admire about LOP is that I've never gotten the sense that treating players as commodities is part of his fandom.

I hope he doesn't mind me pushing (what appears likely to be) another anti-racist project on this thread: the Utah YWCA's 21-Day Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge. I can't vouch for this program, as it hasn't even started yet, but it looks like a good way to help prepare us for the return of the NBA (starts tomorrow, ends July 27).

Thanks idiot! Thanks for calling my attention to the YWCA challenge. I am going to tweet that out right now.

"Racism in ourselves" is the real problem. Not cause it exists in everyone but that people are being conditioned to believe that just cause they are a certain skin color that they are inherently racist.

Stop spreading this lie. It's not true and there is no reason for anyone to feel bad about their own skin color or conversely feel guilty because of it.

"Racism in ourselves" is the real problem. Not cause it exists in everyone but that people are being conditioned to believe that just cause they are a certain skin color that they are inherently racist.

Stop spreading this lie. It's not true and there is no reason for anyone to feel bad about their own skin color or conversely feel guilty because of it.

It's only untrue because all humans have racism in themselves.

I see plainly that racism exists in the U.S. It has a significant impact on all of us. I also don't feel guilty at all.

Why would the reality that racism exists make you feel guilty?

Oh wait... I know. Because you're a ****ing racist who doesn't want to deal with it.

Makes sense now. Carry on.

To me freedom of speech is million times more important than the flag, but at the same time, there is a lot good that the flag represents. But our most important elements of the good that America has done is to put forward the notion that we all should have rights and be free. I would kneel too if I thought it would make that point.

It seems like you didn't watch any of the videos. What lie am I spreading?

It seems like you didn't watch any of the videos. What lie am I spreading?
I'm sorry for the crap you have to deal with from jazz fans on Facebook. A lot of insults get thrown at you and I'm sorry that is happening.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

People are certainly conditioned. By our text books, our carefully crafted neighborhoods, and by our nationalized myths that are stand-ins for authentic history.

We are conditioned to believe that the past is behind us, and that the trauma that still exists within us is just a bad dream that can be tossed and forgotten like a styrofoam cup.