What's new

Newsok's Berry Tramel: "Kanter had no defensive mentor with Jazz"

That article was like listening to BYU fan talk about national titles and playoffs.

That market has never struggled. They had Durrant when they left Seattle. When that team implodes, and OKC is left with Kanter on a max deal, it will be pure comedy gold.

I know we all like to flame Kanter constantly now, but article kind of has a point.

Of course naturally great defenders don't need a defensive mentor, but maybe naturally poor ones do. Kanter had Al Jefferson to emulate, that couldn't have helped his defensive mindset since Jefferson basically used defensive possessions to rest so he could play offense. Yeah, he had Rudy and Favors, but you don't get mentored by guys your same age.

lol'd at that bit

Meh you get mentored by whomever you allow to mentor you. I learned a ton early in my career from a "kid" who was barely 20 but one of the best management minds I had ever met, and 6 years my junior (he is now a COO somewhere making ridicudollars). I think the Jefferson quote was closer to the truth. And, yet again, it comes back to personal effort and attitude.

Closer to the truth than what?

My point and Jefferson's point aren't mutually exclusive.

Big Al was Kanter's mentor. Big Al didn't care about defense, therefore it has been ingrained in Kanter to not care about defense.

If there is another reason Kanter did not develop any important thing in his game aside from getting even better at post-moves, it was Corbin's constant nagging on him. I remember Enes looking at the bench after every position on both ends. It was like Ty was a weak character coach and the only mind he could got into was Kanter's goofy mind so he unleashed his entire anger on Kanter the child.

I hope OKC signs Kanter to a big contract. He will screw their defense and set back their franchise for years. OKC signing him will be great for the Jazz!

If KD and Russ commits to the Thunder for more years to come for their own reasons and OKC can keep Kanter, consider Kanter hit the Jackpot. I just can't see them holding Russ-KD-Enes-Serge at the same time. Too expensive.

But I think Oklahoma City is a community that stands together with the experiences they have lived through and maybe this affects the superstars to commit to the franchise more. KD is an emotional character. Russ has loved his last season here. Looks like a never say never situation to me.

Rudy must be a defensive genius, learning so well without any sort of mentor.

He definitely is. Also, we don't know exactly who coached/mentored him in France, it's not like he came to the NBA with as little experience as Kanter did.

I definitely think there is something to the mentor theory with Kanter. I just think it's probably too late to undo the damage.

I hope OKC signs Kanter to a big contract. He will screw their defense and set back their franchise for years. OKC signing him will be great for the Jazz!

A max contract to Kanter won't hurt too bad since the cap is rising. It wouldn't be a smart move IMO, but it wouldn't be a franchise destroyer like a Joe Johnson veteran max contract.

I remember the good old days when they didn't just allow any idiot to write articles. That was just bad and completely biased. Not even a mention of Favors who had basically the same mentors as Kanter, and no mention of how amazing the jazz's defense was after the trade. And if I recall. Coach Q even told everyone that if u don't play defense u won't play. I guess Kanter didn't take that seriously.

If this wasn't a completely biased take this article would've been all about Kanter not taking defense seriously, and how selfish he was in Utah.

Half right half wrong. I actually think he's an elite post defender. And very bad help defender

didn't Eaton come out after the season ended and offer to work out with Gobert? Hope Gobert takes him up on that offer. Lol

Did RJ say this after the trade, or when he was on the team? Also, this tels me there isn't anything any mentor could do to help him

That quote was at locker cleanout last year.

What happened to gobert? He had no defensive mentoring. He must have an otherworldly potential that will come out if we could only get him a mentor.

If KD and Russ commits to the Thunder for more years to come for their own reasons and OKC can keep Kanter, consider Kanter hit the Jackpot. I just can't see them holding Russ-KD-Enes-Serge at the same time. Too expensive.

If that team chooses Kanter over any of those three then they are morons. Also Kanter will always limit his teams D. WIll those three be enough to over come that? Will be interesting to see?

I've hated Kanter for the last 4 years, I guess everyone else is just making up for lost time and fail to see that the author actually has a point.

I've hated Kanter for the last 4 years, I guess everyone else is just making up for lost time and fail to see that the author actually has a point.
It's not a great one. You can blame anyone's shortcomings in the NBA due to the "fact" they had no mentor, yet most players can overcome it if they care enough.