What's new

Next Year Donovan's Starting Backcourt Partner Will Be?

Who starts in the backcourt alongside DM in the 2021-2022 season?

• Mike Conley

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Joe Ingles

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Miye Oni

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Shaq

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Trent Forrest

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Hughes

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Another player we acquire through trade

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
I would love to see Shaq come in this season and kick *** and then the jazz sign him to a better deal next year and pair him with Mitchell.

I look at Donovan as an Allen Iverson in the sense that he is an offensive beast but undersized at his position. We need our Eric Snow and I think Shaq can be that guy. He is a defensive monster and his passing looked good in the preseason limited 8 min we saw.

The jazz need a defensive combo guard that can complement Donovan’s offensive presence. We need the yin to our yang.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Unless he takes like the taxpayer MLE type money I don't see the money working out. Tax will be a major concern... there should be a lot of dumb money on the market and not a lot of guys to spend on. I am guessing he gets a big one year from NY or someone like that before entering the phase of his career where he takes the minimum to ring chase.
He won't need to ring chase after winning the championship this year.

I can't believe Hughes actually has 3 votes so far. There is just no way in hell he goes from the 13th or 14th man on the roster this year to a starter next year. I also have a hard to seeing Oni going from an 11th or 12th man this season to a starter next season, but the chances of him starting are at least more realistic than Hughes.

I would start Royce right now if I could. I think we forget that despite him guarding and playing PF, he's only 6'4''. I think he could play SG just fine.

I would love to see Shaq come in this season and kick *** and then the jazz sign him to a better deal next year and pair him with Mitchell.

I look at Donovan as an Allen Iverson in the sense that he is an offensive beast but undersized at his position. We need our Eric Snow and I think Shaq can be that guy. He is a defensive monster and his passing looked good in the preseason limited 8 min we saw.

The jazz need a defensive combo guard that can complement Donovan’s offensive presence. We need the yin to our yang.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
I agree 100% except I think Donovan is our version of Lilliard.

Fingers crossed that Quin and the staff learnes from last season that they need to give their youngsters some PT for development!
It can be frustrating.

( I thought Mudiay had developed well, wish he was still on roster )

I went with Oni... I’m worried this is the last good Ingles year. After the olympics this summer I could see Joe deciding to relax his last year... I hope I’m wrong cuz I love me some jingling Joe.
Joe's all around game will be really missed when that time comes

It's not my preference, but I expect it to be Conley. He seems to have a personal relationship with Ryan Smith. We'll pay him, and he'll start of course because he's Mike ****ing Conley.

It's not my preference, but I expect it to be Conley. He seems to have a personal relationship with Ryan Smith. We'll pay him, and he'll start of course because he's Mike ****ing Conley.
Dats gonna be a big bill doe... Ryan can make more friends.

Let’s trade for Patty Mills. The Spurs are hitting the reset button. He’s a decent 3-point shooter; we keep the Aussie thing going... done deal!

Dats gonna be a big bill doe... Ryan can make more friends.

We shall see. The wording is a little unclear on the repeater tax....but I think the Jazz would still avoid the repeater tax if Conley signs a two year deal. That would be three years in a row (including this season), but the wording in the cbafaq says it does not count the most recent season.

Conley would expire at the same time as Bogey, and Ingles would theoretically be on a smaller contract because he expires a year before.

Still, normal tax penalties are not a joke. $20M over the tax costs $45M. Gets worse the more you go over, and the repeater taxes are much worse. But right now I get the vibe that Ryan Smith is prepared to pay for at least 2-3 seasons. He has to know what he’s getting into with all these new contracts.

We shall see. The wording is a little unclear on the repeater tax....but I think the Jazz would still avoid the repeater tax if Conley signs a two year deal. That would be three years in a row (including this season), but the wording in the cbafaq says it does not count the most recent season.

Conley would expire at the same time as Bogey, and Ingles would theoretically be on a smaller contract because he expires a year before.

Still, normal tax penalties are not a joke. $20M over the tax costs $45M. Gets worse the more you go over, and the repeater taxes are much worse. But right now I get the vibe that Ryan Smith is prepared to pay for at least 2-3 seasons. He has to know what he’s getting into with all these new contracts.
Conley at 10m would have a net cost over 30M.... goes up quite a bit from there. If we make WCF and Mike is an important part of that then maybe we bring him back.