What's new

NFL Draft

Boondocksaint27

Kind of surprised that with all the NFL fans there is not already a thread on this. Maybe there is and I just didn't look hard enough.

Anyway, I'm hoping the Vikes draft Locker and find somebody he can sit behind for his first season (If there is in fact, his first season to be played). Thoughts? Mine are that Newton is going to be off the field trouble for whomever drafts him. Mallett lacks judgement, but due to his latest gaffe could be a steal, and that AJ Green will have the biggest impact out of this year's class.

What's more exiting to watch NFL draft or NBA draft. For me it's NFL, because regardless of where your team picks first pick or 7th round pick you can get a stud where as in the NBA it's tough to get even a starter after the lottery.

The Colts picked up a LT thank god. I think I would have rather seen them get Carmini, but I guess a smart, athletic guy like Castanzo fits their MO.

I sorta like watching the NFL draft better, but enjoy the fast pace of the NBA draft. I do love the NFL draft being broken up like it is now. It used to take an eternity for the first round to end.

My Saints did work in that draft. Hello NFC South title.

The Saints did well, but I came away even more impressed with another NFC South team. Kudos to Atlanta for striking a deal to move in order to get Julio Jones. Matt Ryan now has Roddy White on one side, Julio Jones on the other, Tony G. down the middle and Michael Turner running the ball. Not a bad way to build your offense.

As far as my team, meh. The Phins took a Center at #15. That's a little high for a Center IMO but Miami's interior O-line was atrocious last year so I guess I can't gripe too much.

The Saints did well, but I came away even more impressed with another NFC South team. Kudos to Atlanta for striking a deal to move in order to get Julio Jones. Matt Ryan now has Roddy White on one side, Julio Jones on the other, Tony G. down the middle and Michael Turner running the ball. Not a bad way to build your offense.

As far as my team, meh. The Phins took a Center at #15. That's a little high for a Center IMO but Miami's interior O-line was atrocious last year so I guess I can't gripe too much.

Yeah, it was a good pick up, but they gave up way too much to get someone who is going to be your #2 receiver and has possible injury issues. They should of beefed up their pass defense to defend against Freeman and Brees (and possibly Cam Newton if he ever amounts to anything). It would have been better if they could have gotten AJ Green.

Hopefully the DT my Jets picked up will help what has been a weak pass rush.

I don't pay close attention to the NFL draft because the raiders always bat about .100 at best, but somebody took Jake Locker #8? You've got to be kidding me. Great athlete, average football player.

Giants need to get tougher on defense so they draft a guy named Prince.

Actually a pretty good pick up for 19.

I don't pay close attention to the NFL draft because the raiders always bat about .100 at best, but somebody took Jake Locker #8? You've got to be kidding me. Great athlete, average football player.

Ponder at #12 was even worse. I'ma FSU fan and will be the first to say the kid will single-handedly lose a few games for you with absolutely moronic throws. And not just once. He'll do them repeatedly in a game. He couldn't win more than what, 7 games, in a crappy ACC. No way he succeeds at a level exponentially tougher. I like the kid. He could be a great backup in this league for years, ala Kyle Boller or something. But he's worth a late 2nd round pick at best.

Other notes: Fairley to the Lions with Suh and KVB. Wow. He looked pissed to have slid that low and I don't blame him. The criticisms of him on his character are wildly overblown and false from everything I've read. His metrics are also better than Suh's were his last year at UN.

I love what the Chiefs are doing. Baldwin's a sensational receiver and with a strong young o-line, Charles, Bowe, Baldwin and McCluster in the slot, they can really create mismatches. They need to just solidify that defense the next two days, maybe get a tight end or another o-lineman, but man, they have some great young talent on both sides of the ball.

The Saints had a spectacular day too though I always feel good rb's can be found in the 3rd round and down.

And my Eagles taking a guy who will be 27 during the season, um, yeah, I hope you know what you're doing Andy. The kid looked goofy as all hell.

Overall, I think this a very weak draft and one that will be rife with busts. All of the qb's will be busts imo. All of them except maybe Dalton. Ponder's a buttnutt, Mallett's a Bledsoe2.0 Statue back there plus the poor decision making and character issues, Gabbert was a system guy (poor Girrard; the guy's been very successful considering his mediocre wr's and porous defense), so was Newton and seeing his sitdown with Gruden a few days ago seems dumb and as if he's in for a rude awakening, and Dalton looks like the only guy to me with that quick NFL release/arm who's had success and is accurate. I like his feel if that make sense. Newton may be a .500 qb but certainly won't live up to being the #1 pick.

I also don't get these teams investing in 1st rounders when Kolb (once the league resumes) is available. Why the hell would you use a high 1st rounder on a guy who's going to take 2-4 years to develop and very well could be a bust when you could just trade that same 1st (and a little more) for a guy who's NFL ready and has proven solid and can win games in the league.

Note: Kolb's poor/mediocre lifetime qb rating is skewed due to entering two games (at Baltimore, at Washington) unprepared so to speak, the first of which was as brutal as you get. Additionally, his last game last year vs. Dallas was minus Desean, Jeremy & company as they were resting for the playoffs.

I'm hoping the Rams trade up for Julio Jones so Bradford has a go-to guy.

Considering what the Flalons offered... there was no chance! I think a steal pick that is flying somewhat under the radar is Robert Quinn from UNC to the Rams though. He got in trouble last year and was suspended the whole season but if he played, people are saying he could have been in the running for number 1 overall pick. He is a top 10 talent for sure, even for not playing last year. Pairing him with Chris Long at the defensive ends is great.

Nobody is getting by Suh and Fairley though and I thought it was an unbelievably smart pick by the Lions. They need help in the secondary but I think pairing Suh with Fairley will be more effective than any one secondary player could have been. Winners in this draft are the Browns, Lions, Rams, Giants, and Saints IMO.

Considering what the Flalons offered... there was no chance! I think a steal pick that is flying somewhat under the radar is Robert Quinn from UNC to the Rams though. He got in trouble last year and was suspended the whole season but if he played, people are saying he could have been in the running for number 1 overall pick. He is a top 10 talent for sure, even for not playing last year. Pairing him with Chris Long at the defensive ends is great.

Nobody is getting by Suh and Fairley though and I thought it was an unbelievably smart pick by the Lions. They need help in the secondary but I think pairing Suh with Fairley will be more effective than any one secondary player could have been. Winners in this draft are the Browns, Lions, Rams, Giants, and Saints IMO.

I agree. When I saw what Atlanta paid, I was glad the Rams didn't pay that ransom. Jones might be good, even great. He also might be Roddy White with costly drops. I loved the Quinn pick, though I was really hoping Fairley would get to the Rams. Fairley reminds me so much of Warren Sapp. Both guys were probably the best players in their respective drafts and both fell because of character questions. Sapp will be in Canton and now the Lions have a great pair of defensive tackles for years to come. Quinn is probably the best pass rusher in the draft so he's a pretty good consolation prize. Now the Rams need a WR and LB and the draft will be a success.

2011 first, second and fourth round pick, and their 2012 first and fourth round pick for Julio Jones?

miECA.gif

I agree with those that say ATL payed too much for Julio Jones but if it works out that he is a legit #2 WR I'm guessing they wont care.

Also jm12 as a follow Phins fan the injuries on their OL last year or 2 have been pretty bad and while I agree that drafting a C at 15 may have been a bit high if it he can stay healthy and be productive it will be worth it.
Since Sparano took over other he has made crazy changes and movement to the G's and C's only consistent has been LT Jake Long and to a lesser degree RT Vernon Carey.

Christian effing Ponder! Are you kidding me Minnesota?! I know we need a quarterback, but with Fairley right there and Dalton/Mallet still available in the 2nd round you take Christian effing Ponder?! Now, not only will we have to deal with GB and Chicago, but Detroit's D-line will be a wrecking crew.

My guess is they panicked when Locker and Gabbert went early. What a waste of a 1st round pick.

Christian effing Ponder! Are you kidding me Minnesota?! I know we need a quarterback, but with Fairley right there and Dalton/Mallet still available in the 2nd round you take Christian effing Ponder?! Now, not only will we have to deal with GB and Chicago, but Detroit's D-line will be a wrecking crew.

My guess is they panicked when Locker and Gabbert went early. What a waste of a 1st round pick.

Kolb or Ponder?

I assume the Eagles would have taken the 12th pick for Kolb