What's new

NFL Talk

No just pointing out the obvious

Miss St. is going to surprise people this year buddy. 9-4 in the hardest conference in football is no small feat (Only lost to Auburn by 3 points (only reason we lost is because a receiver dropped a wide open TD pass that would have ended the game) and lost Arkansas in triple OT because a couple of very bad calls). Chris Relf is going to be a beast this year (A poor man's Cam Newton), returning most starters besides the Linebacker core. Yes, we did get killed by LSU and Bama, but we get both those giants at home this year. I could even argue we would have beaten LSU if we faced them later in the year (We were playing 2 QB's, alternating each possession, the QB who ended up being benched after the LSU game threw 3 red zone picks).

Guys like Pryor, Tebow and Newton would probably have more fruitful NFL careers if they could get out from under their ego's and be open to position changes. With the kind of athlete Tebow is, his drive and passion could easily lead him to a Pro Bowl career as a TE IMO. Pryor runs a 4.38 40 and is a huge target. If he wanted to apply himself @ WR he could probably succeed. Instead, they paint themselves into a corner with the "I'm a QB" routine and end up flaming out.

Guys like Pryor, Tebow and Newton would probably have more fruitful NFL careers if they could get out from under their ego's and be open to position changes. With the kind of athlete Tebow is, his drive and passion could easily lead him to a Pro Bowl career as a TE IMO. Pryor runs a 4.38 40 and is a huge target. If he wanted to apply himself @ WR he could probably succeed. Instead, they paint themselves into a corner with the "I'm a QB" routine and end up flaming out.

Impossible, especially for dudes who were that high profile. To go from the talk of the nation as greatest college QB to being just a TE. They have to at least give being QB a try (which usually years because they sit in development forever, then they finally get to start and the suck, but they are 28 and nearing their athletic prime, probably too late for a position change.

I don't pay as much attention to College Football as I do the NFL. Don't get me wrong, I watch the big games and follow the Utes, but again, I'm not a true College Football guy. So somebody will probably shoot my little theory out of the water with a couple of names. That being said, as a general rule, I'm not convinved of a true spread QB ever being successful in the NFL as a QB. I mean it works great in College against defenses inferior to the NFL, throw an athletic guy with a big arm in at QB and watch him put up monster numbers in the spread...but that ish doesn't seem to fly in the NFL. So were I a fan of the Broncos or Panthers I would not get my hopes up.

By the way...

Re-Signing Lawrence Timmons - 6 Years - 50 Million

EXCELLENT job by the front office of the Steelers this offseason!

Impossible, especially for dudes who were that high profile. To go from the talk of the nation as greatest college QB to being just a TE. They have to at least give being QB a try (which usually years because they sit in development forever, then they finally get to start and the suck, but they are 28 and nearing their athletic prime, probably too late for a position change.

We actually agree on something... hmmmmm... must be the start of Football season

Again, for like the 4th time I believe. Newton in that SPREAD offense will put up better numbers but Pryor wasn't that far off. I said from teh start that I believe Pryor would have put up similar numbers that Newton did if he was at Auburn. As for the draft - #1 pick vs. 3rd round Supplementary draft pick - I simply said that its worth the gamble as he has all the measurables that Newton does.

Also Newton is based off of 1 year with Auburn. If they lose the game against Oregon does he go #1? If by chance they don't have the big comeback in the regular season does he go #1?

If I'm a GM I will take Pryor with the 3rd rounder in a Supp Draft (Guaranteed 600k and at 2.5 Million over 4 years) vs. Newton at the #1 pick and guaranteed how many millions? They are not that far off regarding their skills and I can see Pryor beign more of a dual threat QB than Newton as well. Unfortunately he is now with the Black Hole and like what was said... until Al Davis dies he wont florish (If he ever does).

Not that far off? The difference between 64% and 51% (in big games) is like comparing Joe Montana to Ryan Leaf. Likewise on the 9.02 to 7+ per pass attempt. Spread offense or not, Newton and Pryor put up what they put up and in big games against better competition, Pryor sucked while Newton flourished.

We seem to disagree on anything and everything. Tim Tebow has now had 2 NFL offseasons to prepare himself as an NFL QB. It's not working. He's getting beat out on the Broncos depth chart by Brady Quinn for ****s sakes. Tebow is still young and I think everybody but Tim Tebow can see the writing on the wall that he's not going to be an NFL starting QB for anybody. Would becoming a starting FB or TE in the NFL really be harder than going from a high-profile, greatest college QB in the nation to a 3rd string emergency QB benchwarmer?

Will Tim Tebow ever see the writing on the wall? Probably not. His pride just won't allow it. However, after getting a shot for 2 seasons at QB I think if Tim was open to a change, he'd still be young enough to have many effective years ahead of him at FB/TE. He'd most likely have a longer NFL career, make more money and actually get to be on the field and help a team compete.

Now, just because I think it would work out, that doesn't mean I think it will happen. But it's certainly not "impossible" from an athletic standpoint. Guys like Tebow just aren't wired to accept defeat in any circumstance. Even if it leads to a better situation for him.

We seem to disagree on anything and everything. Tim Tebow has now had 2 NFL offseasons to prepare himself as an NFL QB. It's not working. He's getting beat out on the Broncos depth chart by Brady Quinn for ****s sakes. Tebow is still young and I think everybody but Tim Tebow can see the writing on the wall that he's not going to be an NFL starting QB for anybody. Would becoming a starting FB or TE in the NFL really be harder than going from a high-profile, greatest college QB in the nation to a 3rd string emergency QB benchwarmer?

Will Tim Tebow ever see the writing on the wall? Probably not. His pride just won't allow it. However, after getting a shot for 2 seasons at QB I think if Tim was open to a change, he'd still be young enough to have many effective years ahead of him at FB/TE. He'd most likely have a longer NFL career, make more money and actually get to be on the field and help a team compete.

Now, just because I think it would work out, that doesn't mean I think it will happen. But it's certainly not "impossible" from an athletic standpoint. Guys like Tebow just aren't wired to accept defeat in any circumstance. Even if it leads to a better situation for him.

Let's say Tebow actually gets flat out cut by the Broncos. I could see someone proposing an offer to him and saying "We want you, but you are going to have to become a FB/TE". I think Tebow would initially decline those offers and see if their is anyone out there who wants to continue developing him as a QB. If nothing was out there (which, I'm almost positive their is at least one team out there who would take a shot at Tebow the QB) he would then take offers to play a different position.

Let's say Tebow actually gets flat out cut by the Broncos. I could see someone proposing an offer to him and saying "We want you, but you are going to have to become a FB/TE". I think Tebow would initially decline those offers and see if their is anyone out there who wants to continue developing him as a QB. If nothing was out there (which, I'm almost positive their is at least one team out there who would take a shot at Tebow the QB) he would then take offers to play a different position.

You have just laid out a scenario in which it proves it's not "impossible" for Tebow to transition into another position before he is past his prime.

Thank you. :D

Colts just signed Kerry Collins. I guess Peyton's neck isn't quite fixed. I know Painter isn't that good but if your #2 is so bad you gotta sign Collins outa retirement maybe you should have got yourself a backup earlier.

If Payton doesn't play in week 2 the Brownies don't face a good QB in an established offense until Shaub in week 9.

You mean the same injuries that he's been playing with? Yeah, that's not stopping him. Nothing short of a season ending injury or major ligament damage/broken bones is going to keep him out of games. You're talking as if it's a foregone conclusion. I don't get it.

Kerry Collins - *cough* *cough*

Colts just signed Kerry Collins. I guess Peyton's neck isn't quite fixed. I know Painter isn't that good but if your #2 is so bad you gotta sign Collins outa retirement maybe you should have got yourself a backup earlier.

If Payton doesn't play in week 2 the Brownies don't face a good QB in an established offense until Shaub in week 9.

I guess they are hoping Collins will not lose games for them by turning the ball over. Painter might be better, but he would probably be more turnover prone.

I'd be willing to bet everything I own he starts the season. The man has missed one snap in his career due to injury. One play.

So what do you own? Just curious, because I'll have my truck at your door step possibly Week 1.

Wow! I just looked at their schedule. I'm not sure it's possible to come up with an easier schedule...even after week 9, there's some easier ones...a young Rams/Bradford team in Cleveland, etc. I hink they could have an outside shot at making the playoffs. A couple of wins early can build a ton of confidence and renewed vigor in a team for what is only a 16 game regular season.

Kerry Collins - *cough* *cough*

Dude. I never said that he's invincible and WON'T miss games, I just said that it's idiotic to say a player that has never missed more than a snap due to injury is unlikely to play in a game regardless of the problem. Peyton is just one of those guys with an attitude and will power to never quit, and to say otherwise is moronic. Peyton Manning still says he will do everything in his power to be ready for week 1. That's the only opinion I care about.

Dude. I never said that he's invincible and WON'T miss games, I just said that it's idiotic to say a player that has never missed more than a snap due to injury is unlikely to play in a game regardless of the problem. Peyton is just one of those guys with an attitude and will power to never quit, and to say otherwise is moronic. Peyton Manning still says he will do everything in his power to be ready for week 1. That's the only opinion I care about.

Actually your response was off of me questioning if Manning will play 16 games this year... I said no and got my salad tossed by a few of you that apparently are either related or pulling a Brett Farve with the guy.

Wow! I just looked at their schedule. I'm not sure it's possible to come up with an easier schedule...even after week 9, there's some easier ones...a young Rams/Bradford team in Cleveland, etc. I hink they could have an outside shot at making the playoffs. A couple of wins early can build a ton of confidence and renewed vigor in a team for what is only a 16 game regular season.

Yea, it's a dream schedule on paper anyways. There have been a lot of Tampa comparisons. So far this has been as good an offseason as I've ever seen.

1. Organization/Coaches/Players all on the same page. Huge difference from the dysfunctional ego wars of the past. Shurmur is a rookie HC, but as an offensive guy he is pretty much focusing on his area and we have Jauron and Ray Rhrodes to run the defense. Holmgren and Heckert have put two drafts together that I've been really impressed with.

2. Promising QB. Colt McCoy has a lot to prove, but what he did last year in an almost impossible situation was incredible. This kid is tailor made for the WCO, he has elite accuracy on his short to medium throws, makes very good decisions and has a knack for making something out of a broken play. He's surrounded by a bunch of backs and TE's that are great receivers and we have a very good OLine. Browns Offense is going to be a lot better this year.

3. No catastrophic Injuries. Every year, year after year, The Browns have had some kind of awful injury to a key player. Courtney Brown, Kellen Winslow, LeCharles Bentley, Braylon Edwards, Jamir Miller etc, etc. This preseason we have a bunch of guys missing time but no serious problems, and last year's no-shows (Hardesty & DQ Jackson) are recovered. Believe me when I say I have been knocking the crap out of all the wood in the house.

4. Real, actual, young Talent. Hillis, Little, Sheard, McCoy, Taylor, Ward, Haden, Mack, Thomas. Holmgren said they cut something like 300 years of collective age. So refreshing after seeing regime after regime bring in a bunch of washed up vets to play yes-man.

This is shaping up to be the most entertaining Brownie season I've ever looked forward to. Woof!