What's new

Niang to Phi

Good for Niang. I get the feeling there will be times we miss him this year, but we gotta remember it was time to take Quin's crutch away and force him to try different things.

Obviously I'm high on Niang, but that's a steal for PHI and makes me wish there was more of an effort to resign him.

Jazz were +17 per100 with him on the court last year. You can't get much better than that, he did his job. We should have locked him up at $3-4M a year for the long term and at worst had a good rotation player even if you think he can't contribute in the playoffs. He had one bad playoff series.

Obviously I'm high on Niang, but that's a steal for PHI and makes me wish there was more of an effort to resign him.

Jazz were +17 per100 with him on the court last year. You can't get much better than that, he did his job. We should have locked him up at $3-4M a year for the long term and at worst had a good rotation player even if you think he can't contribute in the playoffs. He had one bad playoff series.
Context: He was also playing most of his minutes with Gobert and Conley. So he got all of the benefit of that 2-man unit without having to play much against starters.

With Embiid posting up, Niang might get some wide open looks. He's so likeable off the court. He will do fine.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
I don't drink the Kool aid on Niang, I think he sucks and doesn't belong in the NBA most drink his Kool aid, same with the ingles stuff. I'm not big on both at all. Ingles is good but not as great as people make him out to be.

Niang's a great fit. I hope he does well. I think Philly got an absolute steal if Doc doesnt **** it up.

Context: He was also playing most of his minutes with Gobert and Conley. So he got all of the benefit of that 2-man unit without having to play much against starters.

Right. He’s not the biggest reason for that +17, but he did his job. Niang was terrific at complimenting the better players. When you base your lineup around a Conley-Gobert PnR it just makes sense to have someone who is good at making wide open shots. It worked well and it shouldn’t have surprised anyone. Perfect fit, especially with a super usage guy like Clarkson also in the lineup.

People around here seem to act like he was a complete disaster all year long. Fact is, Niang worked in his role for the most part. He was also miserable in the LAC, but you know my thoughts on this. I think a full season is more telling than one series. He was really good against DEN the year before, so its not like he’s never played well in the playoffs.

If you’re in a money crunch, $3-4 M a year isn’t bad for a rotation player even if you think he’s awful in the playoffs. Signing Niang, Gay, and trading Bogey for Nance would have been freaking awesome.

I don't drink the Kool aid on Niang, I think he sucks and doesn't belong in the NBA most drink his Kool aid, same with the ingles stuff. I'm not big on both at all. Ingles is good but not as great as people make him out to be.
I don't think he's Larry Bird or anything, but he's an average NBA player with a great 3pt shot. He cares and tries hard. He's a good dude.

All the best to him.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Right. He’s not the biggest reason for that +17, but he did his job. Niang was terrific at complimenting the better players. When you base your lineup around a Conley-Gobert PnR it just makes sense to have someone who is good at making wide open shots. It worked well and it shouldn’t have surprised anyone. Perfect fit, especially with a super usage guy like Clarkson also in the lineup.

People around here seem to act like he was a complete disaster all year long. Fact is, Niang worked in his role for the most part. He was also miserable in the LAC, but you know my thoughts on this. I think a full season is more telling than one series. He was really good against DEN the year before, so its not like he’s never played well in the playoffs.

If you’re in a money crunch, $3-4 M a year isn’t bad for a rotation player even if you think he’s awful in the playoffs. Signing Niang, Gay, and trading Bogey for Nance would have been freaking awesome.
I don’t think many people are saying he was a year-long disaster. Niang stepped up pretty hard on defense all year and was a pleasant surprise. He’s a good player for certain roles and if our dynamics were different, I’d love to have him be a piece. Unfortunately he was one of our 10,000 spoons and what we need is a knife. Getting Gay isn’t exactly a knife but it’s kinda like having a spork.

I can't wait until we play them and they get to play 4 vs 5 on defense for us for once

I don’t think many people are saying he was a year-long disaster. Niang stepped up pretty hard on defense all year and was a pleasant surprise. He’s a good player for certain roles and if our dynamics were different, I’d love to have him be a piece. Unfortunately he was one of our 10,000 spoons and what we need is a knife. Getting Gay isn’t exactly a knife but it’s kinda like having a spork.

Well, I for sure see people calling him a scrub or barely and player. Been arguing with people all week about it. If all of the hate against Niang is simply because of his LAC, that’s just the incorrect way to evaluate a player IMO.

I don’t think you can get enough players who play defense and hit open 3’s. That’s Niang’s game, he compliments the players extremely well and that’s why I like him. We could have locked him up for the long term for $3-4 M. At that price it’s fine if he’s not exactly a playoff player. But he’s able to do the things he’s good at during the regular season in the playoffs like he did against DEN, that’s a freaking steal.

What you can have is too many guys who want shots and touches. Gay has been a decent defender and rebounder, which is obviously what we need. He’s fine and I think he’s a great value at TPMLE. But we need to make a follow up move.