What's new

Niang's 1st Round: 70% from the Field/67% from 3

So glad our dumbass FO ran him out because he had one bad playoff series.
Just like Rubio was, another easy scapegoat!

And the funny thing is that at the time of his departure most on this board we’re in favor of resigning him. Which surprised me because a year prior I remember him getting trashed a bit. Pure shooter though and those guys don’t grow on trees.

Last edited:
Just like Rubio was, another easy scapegoat!

And the funny thing is that at the time of his departure most on this board we’re in favor of resigning him. Which surprised me because a year prior I remember him getting trashed a bit. Pure shooter though and those guys don’t grow on trees.
rubio is trash. get over it.

So glad our dumbass FO ran him out because he had one bad playoff series.

The dominant opinion on Niang was that he was incapable of playing well in the playoffs….despite playing well the year before. It made zero sense and I have no idea why people scoffed at the idea of giving him barely above minimum, but that’s what most people thought.

We could have easily locked up Niang on a 3/$10 type of deal. Now we have Gay on 3/$20 lmao.

He improved a lot including defensive IQ and effort.

Ironically, Niang was one of the few guys who would actually move and scramble on defense. He was the only guy who trapped and recovered. Everyone else just accepts the switch and proceeds to ply matador defense.

You have to have cheap guys like Niang on the books….and we just let him go for nothing. Great locker room guy too.

The dominant opinion on Niang was that he was incapable of playing well in the playoffs….despite playing well the year before. It made zero sense and I have no idea why people scoffed at the idea of giving him barely above minimum, but that’s what most people thought.

We could have easily locked up Niang on a 3/$10 type of deal. Now we have Gay on 3/$20 lmao.
Last offseason, I wanted to:

(1) re-sign Niang for peanuts;
(2) sign-and-trade Conley;
(3) trade Ingles for young players or perimeter D.

Cy you do know that one of major reasons we did not bring Niang back is that we had to come up with the money to pay Conley, right?

Niang was a fun player to have around. I think he would have helped ease the locker room drama also. Especially after Joe was traded.

You really think Conley is any better? At least with Rubio, there’s some level of consistency in his game as opposed to the roller coaster that Conley puts you on. He was tearing it up in Cleveland this season before the ACL tear.
For the record I think we would have been better off with Rubio than Conley overall. The defense and playmaking from Rubio was superior and we could have used the money to around him, Mitchell, and Gobert with shooters and long defenders. The height, age, injury, and inconsistency issues pretty much fully negated whatever pluses Conley had over Rubio.

FO fell in love with conley because of high character and leadership. But the risk that he was a typical aging/ declining pg and not CP3 turned out to be too real.