What's new

Nitrogen Death Penalty

Sardines

ATMORE, Ala. (AP) — Alabama executed a convicted murderer with nitrogen gas Thursday, putting him to death with a first-of-its-kind method that once again placed the U.S. at the forefront of the debate over capital punishment. The state said the method would be humane, but critics called it cruel and experimental.

Officials said Kenneth Eugene Smith, 58, was pronounced dead at 8:25 p.m. at an Alabama prison after breathing pure nitrogen gas through a face mask to cause oxygen deprivation. It marked the first time that a new execution method has been used in the United States since lethal injection, now the most commonly used method, was introduced in 1982.

Thoughts?

The death penalty itself is barbaric. Doing it this way just adds to it, but I think for Alabama, the fact that it's torture is a feature, not a bug.

ATMORE, Ala. (AP) — Alabama executed a convicted murderer with nitrogen gas Thursday, putting him to death with a first-of-its-kind method that once again placed the U.S. at the forefront of the debate over capital punishment. The state said the method would be humane, but critics called it cruel and experimental.

Officials said Kenneth Eugene Smith, 58, was pronounced dead at 8:25 p.m. at an Alabama prison after breathing pure nitrogen gas through a face mask to cause oxygen deprivation. It marked the first time that a new execution method has been used in the United States since lethal injection, now the most commonly used method, was introduced in 1982.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't mind going out like that.
Sounds rather peaceful. Plus, no needles!

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

This method could be less traumatic I think. What about giving nitrous first then this, might ease it through better.

This method could be less traumatic I think. What about giving nitrous first then this, might ease it through better.
I say give them whatever they give you when you are going in for major surgery first. Then do whatever.
I just know I would want to go while asleep and with no pain

The guillotine is actual fairly humane as it is so fast, severs your spinal cord in a split second, just gory. When people are causing painful murders to get on death row, I am not too sympathetic if they have a less tham painful departure, although I'm against the death penalty in general.

That said, I am still waiting for society to denegrate to the point where we air it on tv for sport like Running Man. At least give them a sporting chance of winning (like Whitman, Price and Haddad).

I say give them whatever they give you when you are going in for major surgery first. Then do whatever.
I just know I would want to go while asleep and with no pain

This is really what lethal injection is supposed to do. Not sure why there have been so many problems with it. Seems weird they can completely knock you out and literally paralyze you for major surgeries but can't make it work that way with LI.

Why not just prison for life? Seems to me like that would be a plenty bad punishment. And if you later find out that the person was innocent, well at least they’re still alive and can be released.

Why not just prison for life? Seems to me like that would be a plenty bad punishment. And if you later find out that the person was innocent, well at least they’re still alive and can be released.
That's how I feel. I don't think we, as a society, gain anything from killing people. Even if they are guilty and fully deserving of the death penalty I think killing them brings the rest of us down a little bit. Every execution requires that normal people have to go to work and put their effort towards killing a person who is completely within their power.

I've always said that I would never want to live next door to a murderer, but I also would never want to live next door to an executioner, either.

I don't want anyone to be killed in my name but unfortunately as long as the death penalty exists that is a thing that can and will happen.

The jury voted 11-1 for life without parole. The judge imposed the death penalty.

Speaking for myself, I would be begging for the death penalty if option #2 was life in prison.

Think they since passed a law in Alabama that does not permit a judge to ignore a jury’s decision.
Makes sense. Alabama’s one of the most “pro life” states in the nation. It explains why their schools are so awful, poverty so high, gun violence astronomical, and quality of life so low.

Ever tried to keep a mask or a hood on a person who doesn't want it? Even on a restrained person its not pretty.

Thoughts?

Well the Germans really refined this method in the 40s didn't they? Great day for the US to be bringing back the technology and methodology of Nazi Germany.

The guillotine is actual fairly humane as it is so fast, severs your spinal cord in a split second, just gory. When people are causing painful murders to get on death row, I am not too sympathetic if they have a less tham painful departure, although I'm against the death penalty in general.

That said, I am still waiting for society to denegrate to the point where we air it on tv for sport like Running Man. At least give them a sporting chance of winning (like Whitman, Price and Haddad).

Public executions were mass entertainment in their day. Punters would be hung or beheaded in the market square, local traders would set at stalls to sell to the crowds of peasants who'd folk to town for the festivities or to watch their starving neighbour be executed for stealing a loaf of bread, local dignitaries would rent rooms overlooking the gallows and have elegant parties in anticipation of the show. Actually sounds like a fun weekend in Riyadh....

This is really what lethal injection is supposed to do. Not sure why there have been so many problems with it. Seems weird they can completely knock you out and literally paralyze you for major surgeries but can't make it work that way with LI.

I was just reading the Ohio state protocols for lethal injection and they are barbaric. Im pleased the Europeans are refusing to supply the drugs required for this practice to continue. In been involved in a few hundred intubations in my time, they're almost never easy and well pretty interesting.