What's new

Not Picking Knight: Mistake or No?

Craig K. Manscill

Looking back on the draft, we had an opportunity to take Brandon Knight, and pretty much everyone expected the Jazz to do so, even after their lottery victory happened. This year, we have been yearning for a better PG.

Now Knight is averaging 13/3/3 and he's only 20 years old. Enes is 19 and averaging a little under 5/5.

I suppose you want to build around a bigman and Kanter/Favors give us two great potentials, but I don't think we made the right move, personally.

- Craig

No regrets not taking him with the 3rd pick. Would like to see what Enes could do in the starting lineup and getting Knights minutes/opportunites ..

Edit: 32mpg, btw.

Looking back on the draft, we had an opportunity to take Brandon Knight, and pretty much everyone expected the Jazz to do so, even after their lottery victory happened. This year, we have been yearning for a better PG.

Now Knight is averaging 13/3/3 and he's only 20 years old. Enes is 19 and averaging a little under 5/5.

I suppose you want to build around a bigman and Kanter/Favors give us two great potentials, but I don't think we made the right move, personally.

- Craig
Overreact much! Knight gets 30+ minutes a game Kanter gets 10 minutes a game. Give the guy a little more then 40 games of limited minutes playing behind our top offensive player. When Kanter gets more minutes he's going to be a top rebounder in the NBA. Knight isn't a true pg, and we have a chance to get a much better pg in this years draft. Kanter will be good.

Do you know how difficult it is to get a good big man?

How many huge bodied players in the NBA can run the floor, have a soft shooting touch, and still out muscles 90% of the other players in the NBA at 19 years old?

Do you know how difficult it is to get a good big man?

How many huge bodied players in the NBA can run the floor, have a soft shooting touch, and still out muscles 90% of the other players in the NBA at 19 years old?

How many?

Maybe.
GM's have to look a couple of years ahead. We knew last season Devin was NOT a viable long-term option. And the college PG crop was projected to be very thin, which it is. It was a weak draft. KOC could have taken Knight at #3, even though that may have been a few picks early, then selected Vucevic or Markief Morris if he still wanted to go big. Or go with Burks and get a PF from this summer's draft. I guess the real question is if Knight is the type of PG the Jazz want. Judging by his assist totals with Detroit, perhaps not.

Of course, I hope Kanter turns out to be a top-10 center and Utah eventually, somehow, gets a starting PG. I can't take year after year of guys like McLeod, Hart, (Brevin) Knight, etc.

Last edited:
Not a mistake, I am satisfied with kanter. Hopefully he will see extended minutes on the court...some day

Knight is doing what I expected he would - a low efficiency volume scorer who averages nearly as many turnovers as assists. And no, most people did not expect we would take him over Kanter as the draft got closer.

I think kanter will be a good player, but knight was the best pg prospect for the next 3 years. Passing on him will be regretful when we are still looking for a proper pg replacement 5 years from now.

Knight's a nice player. He'll be a consistent fringe starter in the league for a lot of years. He'll hit some clutch shots to win games. He'll have a couple years that he really shines. About what he was drafted to do .. not number 3 quality. Kanter will do more and would be doing more with 32 minutes per game.

I think kanter will be a good player, but knight was the best pg prospect for the next 3 years. Passing on him will be regretful when we are still looking for a proper pg replacement 5 years from now.

What's the qualifier for 'best?' Irving? I'm not sure he'll be better than Marshall (yawn) as a PG. There's not much difference between Rivers and Knight .. and I'd take a dukie Rivers over a UK Knight.

I like both rivers and knight , but I think knight will end up the better pg. I disagree knight won't be better than Marshall. Marshall is a fringe NBA player to me. Marshals speed, lack of shooting will make him a career back up.

Picking Knight would have meant an inferior player gets to ride the bench. So maybe, ya, it was a mistake.