What's new

Game Thread Nov 28, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs Bulls

Added to Calendar: 11-28-22

View: https://twitter.com/k_clayt/status/1597458203625029632

Yet some were complaining about having his minutes cut.

I have nothing against Kessler but while are trying to win there is no reason for him to have guaranteed minutes if his performance doesn't deserve it, which of late it genuinely hasn't. Dok had a couple of dear in headlights moments which is somewhat to be expected given the lack of reps but he deserves a chance to prove himself, was no where near as bad as some have made out.

View: https://twitter.com/k_clayt/status/1597458203625029632

Yet some were complaining about having his minutes cut.

I have nothing against Kessler but while are trying to win there is no reason for him to have guaranteed minutes if his performance doesn't deserve it, which of late it genuinely hasn't. Dok had a couple of dear in headlights moments which is somewhat to be expected given the lack of reps but he deserves a chance to prove himself, was no where near as bad as some have made out.

We've lost 5 in a row and 8 of 10...I'm a lot more concerned with developing young players that have a chance of being part of the next truly competitive Jazz team than I am winning games, and I can guarantee you Danny Ainge and Justin Zanik feel the exact same way. Besides, if you really are worried about winning games, playing Dok is most definitely not the answer. Kessler has been good for the most part, he leads all rookies in blocks and win shares, sure he makes some mistakes but that's to be expected of a rookie. I say we let him play through his mistakes and develop as much as possible. Dok's option for next year wasn't picked up, and all indications are that he won't be on the team next year. I litterally can't think of one single way giving him minutes benefits the team in the short or long term.

We've lost 5 in a row and 8 of 10...I'm a lot more concerned with developing young players that have a chance of being part of the next truly competitive Jazz team than I am winning games, and I can guarantee you Danny Ainge and Justin Zanik feel the exact same way. Besides, if you really are worried about winning games, playing Dok is most definitely not the answer. Kessler has been good for the most part, he leads all rookies in blocks and win shares, sure he makes some mistakes but that's to be expected of a rookie. I say we let him play through his mistakes and develop as much as possible. Dok's option for next year wasn't picked up, and all indications are that he won't be on the team next year. I litterally can't think of one single way giving him minutes benefits the team in the short or long term.

We've lost those whilst missing our second best player while having a chance in pretty much all those games. I don't think we are far away from going full tank if things don't turn around but we are not there yet.

You don't know Dok isn't the answer and nor does anyone else for that matter. He has spent more time injured and on the bench than he has at NBA level with most of those minutes being in junk time. The few starts he got last year when Gobert was out he actually showed something. He is still only 23 and for the first time he looks fit and healthy. Sure we didn't pick up his option but if he were to show something we could soon re-sign him or make him more than just trade filler. In all likelihood he will be a waste of time but lets actually find out before putting a strike through his name.

Kessler at this point in time is a good shot blocker perhaps great shot blocker but Im yet to see a lot of evidence that he is all that good defender. Attack him at the rim and he will likely block you but teams have woken up to that and are pulling up from mid range were he is no where to contest. Like giving up a lay up. The moment we decide to tank yeah give his all the minutes he needs but right now he isn't deserving of them or at the very least Hardy should be trying other options. The player Jazz fans think he is and the player actually is a very different at this point in time.

As much I do like Collin right now we need Mike back. Whenever teams tighten their defenses our composure is shattered. That is where we need his experience

Kudos to Bulls making adjustments and closing our shooters out. Still no excuse we could not find a single shot for the hot hand in the 4th until the game was almost done. And it was not like he wasnt open several times. This team just can not cope without Mike, period.

Last edited:
Y'all, Dok is not going to play regular minutes. Hardy is just using this as a tool to motivate Kessler.

Go read Andy Larsen's post game recap, Dok said Hardy doesn't even talk to him.

Last edited:
Didn't work out. He looked solid, though. Wonder why he didn't get minutes.
They targeted him when he was on. Hardy had said he didnt feel like Kessler could match Drummonds physicality and that Dok was holding his own better, hence Kesslers minutes went to Dok.

What is Vanderbilt's role right now? He starts but don't finish. He plays just 22-24 minutes while Malik plays 33. Should we start Malik instead?

What is Vanderbilt's role right now? He starts but don't finish. He plays just 22-24 minutes while Malik plays 33. Should we start Malik instead?
I think it is worth a try. Maybe it helps Malik get some momentum early with his shot.

I would give my third testikl for someone like Caruso in this team. I dont need him now but the following seasons. Some of them will be nut seasons and we need carusos of the NBA for our defense be good.

You apparently didn’t see the play right after the TO where Laurie was fronting him and DeRozan waltzed in for a layup like Laurie was stuck in quicksand. Pretty sure Vando could’ve done better.
Or Kessler. Where the **** was Kessler all night? Apparently the tank is on and Hardy checked the advanced stats and realized we play better basketball with Kessler on the floor, so he kept him out. Unless he was resting from some nagging minor injury it makes no sense. Hell in the 5 minutes he played he had 3 rebounds, and at the end we couldn't rebound to save our lives. Seriously, what gives Hardy? Have you embraced the tank?

Still in the end we lost this largely on missed free throws, and turnovers. We missed 9 and they outscored us on free throws 22 to 6. And we had 14 turnovers, actually pretty good by our standards, but they only had 7. You cannot give up that many free opportunities and miss that many freebies and expect to win very many games in the NBA.

This. What Kessler needed was someone to step up and show him what was expected and help him understand what he could do to mitigate their attacks, or at least hold his own, then let him try it and see what he could do. I wonder if we have anyone on the team that fits that description, you know someone on the sidelines, who is the expert on our systems and can help a young player develop and learn. Who would that be? Someone who could, I don't know, coach him, for lack of a better term, as to what to do rather than just sit his ***. Too bad we apparently don't have anyone like that. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

We've lost those whilst missing our second best player while having a chance in pretty much all those games. I don't think we are far away from going full tank if things don't turn around but we are not there yet.

You don't know Dok isn't the answer and nor does anyone else for that matter. He has spent more time injured and on the bench than he has at NBA level with most of those minutes being in junk time. The few starts he got last year when Gobert was out he actually showed something. He is still only 23 and for the first time he looks fit and healthy. Sure we didn't pick up his option but if he were to show something we could soon re-sign him or make him more than just trade filler. In all likelihood he will be a waste of time but lets actually find out before putting a strike through his name.

Kessler at this point in time is a good shot blocker perhaps great shot blocker but Im yet to see a lot of evidence that he is all that good defender. Attack him at the rim and he will likely block you but teams have woken up to that and are pulling up from mid range were he is no where to contest. Like giving up a lay up. The moment we decide to tank yeah give his all the minutes he needs but right now he isn't deserving of them or at the very least Hardy should be trying other options. The player Jazz fans think he is and the player actually is a very different at this point in time.
No one thinks Kessler is Gobert, by any stretch, but he is literally the only guy with a clue as to how to clog up the middle, and at the end they were feasting on the fact that we had no one to protect the rim, and zero weak-side help. At least throw him in for 3-4 minutes in the fourth as a changeup from what was allowing them to get to the rim at will in the 2nd half. Plus this is how he learns. He tries something, the coach brings him out and instructs him, you know, "coaches" him, then let him go try to apply what you showed him. But instead they just parked his *** the rest of the night. For a win-now team, that would make some sense, I suppose, but for a team like ours we would be way better off letting him get those development minutes, especially as the season progresses.

I still dont get why that elbow to Lauri wasnt called. The ref said that the other team called a timeout first. But I am glancing at the rules and that is still a position to be able to review.

Ya seems like it would be even easier and more likely to be reviewed if a timeout was called. I mean the game is already stopped in that instance so might as well.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

No one thinks Kessler is Gobert, by any stretch, but he is literally the only guy with a clue as to how to clog up the middle, and at the end they were feasting on the fact that we had no one to protect the rim, and zero weak-side help. At least throw him in for 3-4 minutes in the fourth as a changeup from what was allowing them to get to the rim at will in the 2nd half. Plus this is how he learns. He tries something, the coach brings him out and instructs him, you know, "coaches" him, then let him go try to apply what you showed him. But instead they just parked his *** the rest of the night. For a win-now team, that would make some sense, I suppose, but for a team like ours we would be way better off letting him get those development minutes, especially as the season progresses.

But is it not great that Jazz has brilliant defensive smaller players like Sexton, Clarkson, Beasley etc.

Or?

Last edited:
I really like Conley and believe he was in a large part responsible for our little run at winning but I hope when he returns he plays in much shorter stints. I want to see Sexton run the point for a extended period of time and have it determined rather he can continue to grow and learn of if he reverts back to his duck and chuck mentality. We need to know what we're looking for at the trade deadline and draft next year. It's time to go all in on the young guys and see exactly what we have.

I really like Conley and believe he was in a large part responsible for our little run at winning but I hope when he returns he plays in much shorter stints. I want to see Sexton run the point for a extended period of time and have it determined rather he can continue to grow and learn of if he reverts back to his duck and chuck mentality. We need to know what we're looking for at the trade deadline and draft next year. It's time to go all in on the young guys and see exactly what we have.
Conley is obviously a big piece for us but I think we also underestimated just how important having Sexton being aggressive off bench is for all the other bench guys. Sexton has more than made up for Conley in the starting lineup but the bench has gone from the best in the nba to inconsistent. For most of the year either Sexton or Beasley had it going so we always had a hot hand to ride off the bench.

I would start Mike with JC and close games with either Collin or JC pairing Mike. The one that has been better would close the games. And with better i dont mean just the points made. That would drive our scoring guards for a competition to have the best team-basketball possible.