What's new

Now is the time to start looking for your PG of the future

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
There are a lot of factors that make me feel this way. Although I've mentioned this first point a million times already, I'm going to yet again.

Devin Harris is not young.
He's 28 years old. By the time the lockout is done, he will be nearing or past 29 (DOB 2/27/83). That is not necessarily a problem for some players as some games age well (players that are big for their position, can shoot well, and DON'T rely on first-steps or athleticism in general). Harris is a textbook case of will-not-age-well when you factor in that he's good but not great at anything besides beating someone off the dribble with pure speed. He's a plainly poor shooter off the dribble, and only in spot-up situations is he even pedestrian from 3. What is going to be left when he can't beat people anymore?

Devin Harris will NOT be the PG of the future
Appraising the Jazz's situation REALISTICALLY, we're looking at AT LEAST two years away from making any noise, and probably more than that to be legitimate contenders. By that time, Harris will be past 30 (which is when players that rely on their athleticism start to fade fast) and it will be time to probably overpay and re-sign/extend or let him go for nothing. I'm not saying Harris is terrible or will be terrible in 2 or 3 years, just that if you're tying yourself to Harris as your starting PG and spending 1/5th of your cap (being conservative) on him as he's on the decline, you're killing yourself.

Everyone thinks this draft sucks
Picks will be available for cheaper than normal, especially first-rounders. Minnesota is universally thought to be NOT wanting #20, and I've heard rumor of teams not even wanting their late 1st rounders. BUY LOW.

There are some very good prospects at PG projected in the late 1st and into the 2nd round
#20 is right about the top of the PG group that I am most interested in (besides Irving). I think Darius Morris, Charles Jenkins, and Reggie Jackson have some serious pro-potential and ability. I think these players will better balance the idea of pursuing a less PG-reliant philosophy while getting younger and allowing them to grow with the team. When you look at these stats, you see those three names in the top ten a silly amount of the time. And for a "combo guard", Charles Jenkins looks like the most complete PG in the NCAA (besides being tall, long, powerful, and not a stiff). If you can only get late 1st/early 2nds, you can probably at least get Nolan Smith still, which could probably be a nice backup down the road.

If you can parlay things that won't be a part of this hypothetical future contender into picks this year, do it.
I'm looking at you, CJ Miles.

I like the potential of the guys you mention, especially at their draft positions. Reggie, Charles, Darius, and Nolan all look like great gambles to me. Yeah, draft picks in the 20s in a draft year pretty much regarded as underwhelming might be pried away easier than other years. I dunno. Maybe.

Jimmer, there is no better place than home towncourt. i'm behind him.
but looks like CLEVELAND take ENES and MINNY D-WILL
so than we take K.I

I'd take Mack or Jackson late in the first round... They'll both be better pro's than Jimmer. especially at the Point.

i can agree with the logic that devin harris is not the PG of the future.

i can't agree with the notion that someone available at #20 in this draft IS the PG of the future.

i can agree with the logic that devin harris is not the PG of the future.

i can't agree with the notion that someone available at #20 in this draft IS the PG of the future.

Not IS, but COULD. Which is more than I can say for Harris.

Jimmer, there is no better place than home towncourt. i'm behind him.
but looks like CLEVELAND take ENES and MINNY D-WILL
so than we take K.I

If Cleveland takes Kanter #1, I guarantee you that Minnesota is going to draft Kyrie Irving. The Timberwolves' biggest need is at PG and Irving would fill a huge hole for them. That would leave US Derrick Williams. I actually think that Cleveland could go this way if they think that they can get a great PG prospect @ #4 (either Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker).

Not IS, but COULD. Which is more than I can say for Harris.

the likelihood of a charles jenkins or a reggie jackson or a darius morris being markedly better as a pro than devin harris aren't great. devin's not a top-five PG by any stretch of the imagination, but he's been an all-star and the second best player on an NBA finalist team. jenkins/jackson/morris will be lucky to hit that level.

again, i agree that devin isn't the long-term answer if want to content... but if any of those guys had obvious PG-of-the-future potential, they wouldn't be available at 20.

the likelihood of a charles jenkins or a reggie jackson or a darius morris being markedly better as a pro than devin harris aren't great. devin's not a top-five PG by any stretch of the imagination, but he's been an all-star and the second best player on an NBA finalist team. jenkins/jackson/morris will be lucky to hit that level.

again, i agree that devin isn't the long-term answer if want to content... but if any of those guys had obvious PG-of-the-future potential, they wouldn't be available at 20.
Teams pay a premium for size. Good PGs can be found late in the draft at a higher rate than, say, centers. Or true wings (which act as big point guards). Jenkins will probably not be a more viable option in year one, but in year five? Anything is better than a net 0 (Harris not being re-signed) or negative (when accounting salary if re-signed and on a likely steep decline).

I am of the opinion that your PG had better be a very special playmaker and/or someone that can spread the floor. Harris isn't special as a playmaker as presently constituted, has never been a shooter, and anything he had will be on it's way out before this team can be taken seriously again.

that was sposta say "if we want to contend." oops. i'm rusty.

anyway, the "good PGs can be found late in the draft" argument is weak and without basis. sure, you'll name me someone like tony parker who is the exception, but true difference-making PGs are as hot a draft commodity as bigs.

want proof? there are four starting PGs who are still playing. bibby was a second pick (and isn't even one of his team's three best players), westbrook was a fourth pick, kidd was a second pick, and rose was a top overall pick. or if you want to look purely at individual success, let's look at PER, where the top five PGs were picked fourth (paul), fourth (westbrook), first (rose), third (williams), and fifteenth (nash). the next best point guard is tony parker, a 29th pick -- the exception, not the rule.

so yeah, *good* point guards are available late in the draft... but very rarely are *great* ones available.

pg is the Least important piece, imo. Get 2 stars in other spots and the pg can get away with being decent.

that was sposta say "if we want to contend." oops. i'm rusty.

anyway, the "good PGs can be found late in the draft" argument is weak and without basis. sure, you'll name me someone like tony parker who is the exception, but true difference-making PGs are as hot a draft commodity as bigs.

want proof? there are four starting PGs who are still playing. bibby was a second pick (and isn't even one of his team's three best players), westbrook was a fourth pick, kidd was a second pick, and rose was a top overall pick. or if you want to look purely at individual success, let's look at PER, where the top five PGs were picked fourth (paul), fourth (westbrook), first (rose), third (williams), and fifteenth (nash). the next best point guard is tony parker, a 29th pick -- the exception, not the rule.

so yeah, *good* point guards are available late in the draft... but very rarely are *great* ones available.
I didn't say otherwise. But again, I know Harris is NOT going to be the guy. I wouldn't consider him "*great*" now either.

I - along with probably most others - are interested in putting more emphasis on getting ballhandling and playmaking from the wing from this new re-build (or "re-tool" if you want to kid yourself). If the Jazz are lucky enough to get that kind of talent, having a good PG is great. Hell, in that situation, I don't know how much more you need from a PG than spreading the floor if you can get playmaking from more than one wing player. Harris isn't that guy either.

I don't know who will be the future at the 1. I do know who won't and I don't see the wisdom in dragging feet while he still has decent market-value.

I'm fine with Harris this year (he's starting this year no matter if the Jazz draft a PG or not) and then I'm really eager to watch UNC's Kendall Marshall play next year. He looks like the kind of pretty good PG who can run an offense well but not be the eye popping elite talent that gorges your team's payroll. He's compared to Mark Jackson. Me likee. As of now he's projected at the top of the 2nd round next year. UNC will do well next year and that will move him into the first round but he won't be too high I don't think - not with that draft's depth. Did I mention I want more 2012 draft picks?

I actually really like Darius Morris and wouldn't be at all sad if it worked out that we got him. Great size, pass first, rebounding PG that played against very solid competition.

Why should we look at getting a PG when we just traded for one and are paying him 9 million a year?