What's new

Now that the match is official, how does Hayward live up to the contract?

7StraightIsGreat

Basically, what does Gordon need to do for Jazz fans to feel like this was the right move?

For me, I see Gordon with the ability to play the Scottie Pippen role on a Utah Jazz team, basically becoming a facilitator for the likes of Favors, Exum, Burks, etc. Now, please don't make the mistake that I'm saying Gordon can be as good as Pippen because that is not the case. I just happen to think that Gordon can play that role while coming close to living up to his contract.

Over Pippen's career, he was a 16/7/6 stat line type of player who's influence on the court was felt in several areas and made his teammates more effective. That's what I expect from Hayward. Locke has already posted the positive effect Hayward has on nearly all of his teammate's FG% when he is on the court. If that can continue, along with Gordon improving on his FG%, especially from 3, I can see this looking like an ok signing years down the road.

To put it another way, I don't think he needs to become a 25 ppg scorer and our #1 offensive option in order to live up to his price tag (which is good because that's never going to happen). I'm just curious to see what other fans think he needs to do to justify his pay day.

He's going to have a difficult time living up to it. If he plays like he did in that Lakers game 2 yrs ago I'd say he's worth it. Maybe Quin can get that out of him more than once or twice a year.

Shooting 40% on 3's.

Getting to the FT line 6 times per game.

Averaging 18/6/6 with more efficiency.

This is entirely possible. He gets to the line five times a game right now, and his scoring should improve a bit. For me, its the shooting percentage and defense that are most important.

20, 6 and six on 48, 40, and 80% from with decent defense would be worth the max. But Cy's numbers would be worth keeping him.

I have faith in Hayward. I think we will be happy we didn't lose him.

He's going to have a difficult time living up to it. If he plays like he did in that Lakers game 2 yrs ago I'd say he's worth it. Maybe Quin can get that out of him more than once or twice a year.

Or last years OKC game.

Needs to show leadership skills on and off the court
Needs to show emotion in games and get the crowd and teammates fired up.
Needs to toughen up and not let guys poke him in the ear.
Got to be able to hit big shots at crucial times of the game.
Got to make teammates around him better.
Got to be able to make that big stop when it counts most

You know, the things that any max contract players should already be doing. For some reason this doesn't strike me as Gordon Hayward though.

Pretty much just be more efficient. I'm actually pretty sure this won't be an issue with some time under Coach Q and why I wasn't actually against the match personally. We'll see how it goes.

I'd sign up for his career shooting %'s tbh.

If he steps up and plays better and more decisive in the last 2 minutes of games, that would really ease criticism league wide on this obvious overpay.

I kind of expect the Jazz to be in contention for the 8 spot if he 'lives up to the contract' i couldnt see why the Jazz would match if they didnt feel the same.

A lot of people have made posts (in other threads) about Gordo having less on-ball responsibility, spending more time as a spot-up shooter. If Gordo's future is primarily as an off-ball player, he'll have to make incredible strides defensively to have any chance at living up to his contract. Players who aren't filling primary roles as offensive hubs or defensive stoppers/rim protectors are never worth what Gordo will be paid.

Thank you for restoring a shred of hope that some Jazz fans are sane.
Your confidence in your own sanity/intelligence is cute.

A lot of people have made posts (in other threads) about Gordo having less on-ball responsibility, spending more time as a spot-up shooter. If Gordo's future is primarily as an off-ball player, he'll have to make incredible strides defensively to have any chance at living up to his contract. Players who aren't filling primary roles as offensive hubs or defensive stoppers/rim protectors are never worth what Gordo will be paid.

Your confidence in your own sanity/intelligence is cute.

Thanks for taking time out of your post for that little dig.

Douchebag.