What's new

Ochai- What do we think?

Doesn't have to have the ball, willing passer and hustles. Great role player who still has some developing to do but isn't in Hardy's dog house so I like him.

I've heard Tim MacMahon say a couple of times that Will Hardy has told him that Ochai reminds him of Norm Powelll, and I don't really see it. He reminds me more of a Danny Green type.

He seems to be trending towards being just like Royce O'Neale offensively...one of the lowest usage rates in the entire league and only shoots when absolutely wide open. I think he's going to be very efficient and likely shoot over 40% from 3 for his career, but he needs to find other ways to contribute and make a mark on the game. He needs to become a really good defender or like Royce, a good rebounder for his size, get some steals, just do something besides shoot open shots.

I like him, but I don't think he's established himself as a key piece on the next contending Jazz team quite yet, the way Lauri and Kessler have. There is definitely a chance he gets there but he still has a way to go.

making a judgement on a dude who's a handful of games into his career is nuts. But he does have some real positive attributes. The big thing is does he have the drive and mentality to make big improvements
lol douchebag all you have to do is look at the improvements over 4 years of college and coach confidence in him, every season from under recruited frosh freak dunker to concensus 1st team All American and the winnier of the highly coveted Big 12 POY. Not to mention 2022 NCAA tournament most outstanding player and Champion.
Yeah I think he will continue to get it done. He is also so ****ing humble, some think he is charmin, but imo he is a badass waiting to hand out beat downs but his coach is forcing him to find greatness.

I've heard Tim MacMahon say a couple of times that Will Hardy has told him that Ochai reminds him of Norm Powelll, and I don't really see it. He reminds me more of a Danny Green type.

He seems to be trending towards being just like Royce O'Neale offensively...one of the lowest usage rates in the entire league and only shoots when absolutely wide open. I think he's going to be very efficient and likely shoot over 40% from 3 for his career, but he needs to find other ways to contribute and make a mark on the game. He needs to become a really good defender or like Royce, a good rebounder for his size, get some steals, just do something besides shoot open shots.

I like him, but I don't think he's established himself as a key piece on the next contending Jazz team quite yet, the way Lauri and Kessler have. There is definitely a chance he gets there but he still has a way to go.
He shoots when he's way less open than Royce usually did, at least. One thing I really like is how quickly he gets off those corner-threes.

I think he is a rookie who shows very positive flashes on both ends but is still adapting to the league which shows in hesitation, insecurity (softness) and mistakes.

I think major judgement is not relevant in the next 9-10 months at least.

We were spoiled with Kessler being so ready to play. Ochai is what most rookies look like imo.

Desmond Bane is a mega pipe dream at this point. Would be awesome, but he is a legit 50(ish)/40/90 guy on significant volume.

I get more Kelenna Azubuike vibes from Ochai's entire body of work thus far. That said, his recent stretch has been promising. 3&D will be his ticket. If he can guard multiple positions effectively and shoot the ball consistently he'll 100% be a keeper.

lol douchebag all you have to do is look at the improvements over 4 years of college and coach confidence in him, every season from under recruited frosh freak dunker to concensus 1st team All American and the winnier of the highly coveted Big 12 POY. Not to mention 2022 NCAA tournament most outstanding player and Champion.
Yeah I think he will continue to get it done. He is also so ****ing humble, some think he is charmin, but imo he is a badass waiting to hand out beat downs but his coach is forcing him to find greatness.

uhh i'm actually high on him dumbass. I'm referring to those who are judging that they think he's meh when he's clearly got a tonne of potential.

No he doesn't.

That's a truly bizarre take.

He was unplayable for the 1st half of the season due to his nonexistent defense.
I thought the coach said he finally had no choice but to start playing him because of how hard he works in practice and how well he defends. Maybe im remembering wrong

There's just... something missing.

Ochai is probably the softest, most contact-averse player I've ever seen get rotation minutes in the NBA. He has the size, the strength and the length, but plays like a ghost.

He makes Beasley look like PJ Tucker.

You know how some players are quicker than they look? Ochai is the opposite, he's slower than he looks. He pretty much has the ideal wing/SG body for the modern NBA, but can't really stay with any of the quicker guys at his position. I'm having trouble deciding if he has bad lateral movement or if his footwork just sucks. Might be the latter, since he generally looks like he's never played defense on any level before coming to the NBA.

I still have hope for him but the clock is ticking. He'll be 23 in a few months and shouldn't be looking like a clueless rookie at this point.

A post implying that a rookie is pretty much a finished product is hilarious coming from somebody with the username "Tremendous Upside"

At this point it is hard to say just how good he can be but he is showing a skillset that fits with every team. As others have mentioned it would be nice to have him have an impact on the boards and maybe be a little more physical overall.

I thought the coach said he finally had no choice but to start playing him because of how hard he works in practice and how well he defends. Maybe im remembering wrong
tremendous upside has been down on ochai since day one. his opinion should be immediately discarded in any discussion on OA. he has never shown any ability to be objective as it relates to agbaji.

i mean, if he has the best FG% defense on the team, he's obviously a pretty good defender. and yes, it's a small sample, but he can only guard when he's in the game, and he's done a pretty good job of it.

I don’t think his defense is all that bad. Does it need work? Yes rookies usually do coming into the NBA realizing how fast the game is. But I can honestly see him being the 3 and D guy for this team in the future. I’m all in.

The game has become so offense oriented it is difficult to guard anyone, especially perimeter players, without soft foul calls. Ochai played good college D, but there is a big adjustment to the NBA.

I think his man on man defense has been good for a rookie, but his help defense is often a step behind and he needs to rebound better.

I was worried about his handle having watched him in college, and I can see he has clearly been working on it. I think he is going to be a great piece for the Jazz. I worry there will be an expansion draft in the near future that could cause us to lose a needed piece like him.

The game has become so offense oriented it is difficult to guard anyone, especially perimeter players, without soft foul calls. Ochai played good college D, but there is a big adjustment to the NBA.

I think his man on man defense has been good for a rookie, but his help defense is often a step behind and he needs to rebound better.

I was worried about his handle having watched him in college, and I can see he has clearly been working on it. I think he is going to be a great piece for the Jazz. I worry there will be an expansion draft in the near future that could cause us to lose a needed piece like him.
yeah, he was never a great shot creator at kansas either. that was the biggest knock on him and sure enough we are seeing it be an issue with him now.