What's new

Game Thread Oct 11, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Spurs (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-11-22

I think I'm going to enjoy this season more than I thought. It's going to be more of a season long comedy than a season long thriller. Much less stress.

Living on the East coast I can watch these 9PM EST games and just watch the first half live without any stress or difficulty going to bed. Then I'll watch the all possessions recap of the 2nd half.

My thoughts:

- Kessler looking like a serviceable big already in his career is great coming from the 22nd pick in the draft. I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but it looks like his floor is a rotation player in the NBA.
- The three big white guy lineup is going to be an interesting one to watch this year. They have looked really good in the minutes they've gotten together.
- Butler with some good and bad moments, but probably enough good moments to keep his spot on the team. He needs to stay in the lane of vanilla backup PG a little bit more because he looks ok running the offense and taking open 3's. He needs to cut out the Damian Lillard long 3's and trying to finish over 3 guys.
- Colin Sexton looks uncomfortable. It's probably a combination of getting back to game speed and trying to learn how to play point guard. It looks like he's resisting to act on some of his instincts in order to run the offense. The good news is this is the year for him to experiment and learn if he can do it.
- Agbaji needs more than 0 minutes in a preseason game. If I were Hardy I would carve out a consistent 8-12 minutes a game for Agbaji once the season starts. If he does well then keep him in the rotation and increase his minutes. If he struggles then send him to the G-League for a little bit.

Abagji must be bad in practice. From what Locke is saying it's a very competition based camp, so Hardy can't really play guys if they aren't beating others out in camp

Butler with 13/7/7 in 27 mins. He’s not getting cut. Always had faith in him.
No you didn’t!! I did!!
I think I'm going to enjoy this season more than I thought. It's going to be more of a season long comedy than a season long thriller. Much less stress.
Watching this game the first thing I thought was this was the bad news Bears if the bad news bears had a basketball team right down to the uniforms. Lol

It's kind of nuts that a lottery pick rookie didn't even get on the floor in a preseason game, especially considering two of our rotation players didn't play. Thanks, coach Hardy.
Unless he is injured it is really strange. I'm already starting to dislike the guy.

Abagji must be bad in practice. From what Locke is saying it's a very competition based camp, so Hardy can't really play guys if they aren't beating others out in camp
This Agbaji thing is weird. You have to think Ainge is scratching his head a little bit about these rotations. Hardy really does have a Corbin stink to him so far.

This Agbaji thing is weird. You have to think Ainge is scratching his head a little bit about these rotations. Hardy really does have a Corbin stink to him so far.
Overall it doesnt matter at all because at some point in the season he's going to be playing a ton.

I miss Rudy's screens already.. I feel like our offense will consist of heavily contested chucking. Which would be a solid plan tanking wise though

I miss Rudy's screens already.. I feel like our offense will consist of heavily contested chucking. Which would be a solid plan tanking wise though
That’s probably one of the more important reasons the Jazz needed to offload Donovan before the season started. I think the chances were uncomfortably strong that his value would diminish significantly on this team without Rudy.

THT has real confidence. Not really deserved, but I get the feeling that he's in control when he's playing. He doesnt always make the right decisions or take good shots, but it feels like he dictates what happens more than NAW does.

I just feel like NAW is so nervous out there and doesnt really know what to do on the court when he gets in certain spots.

LIke I feel like NAW is the better player overall. If you could get a version of NAW that played a game closer to Royce O'Neale in a good offensive system surrounded by good offensive players, I feel like he could/should be effective (though I guess he had that opportunity last year and didnt show enough).

So after watching the Spurs last night and thinking through it... I know its one preseason game but I think they end up 5th or 6th worst... I worried Johnson was going to sit to start the season but he already back. Vassell is the guy I'd pick for most improved if I gambled. Poeltl means functional defense and Jones is a solid game manager pg. If any of the kids are good they should be more functional than people guess.

I also remember Pop sitting his stars and then winning with Matt Bonner and ****. He's coaching version of MacGyver and not sure he wants to do the tank dance.

Hornet likely take their spot in the bottom 5

So after watching the Spurs last night and thinking through it... I know its one preseason game but I think they end up 5th or 6th worst... I worried Johnson was going to sit to start the season but he already back. Vassell is the guy I'd pick for most improved if I gambled. Poeltl means functional defense and Jones is a solid game manager pg. If any of the kids are good they should be more functional than people guess.

I also remember Pop sitting his stars and then winning with Matt Bonner and ****. He's coaching version of MacGyver and not sure he wants to do the tank dance.

Hornet likely take their spot in the bottom 5
Yeah, Hornets are just depressingly bad if Hayward isnt making a comeback year.

Yeah, Hornets are just depressingly bad if Hayward isnt making a comeback year.
MJ is a terrible owner. He won't empower people outside of his small circle for long enough to get traction. The just seem to have zero plan.