What's new

Game Thread Oct 20, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Thunder

Added to Calendar: 10-20-21

I didn’t see the game and wondered how Whiteside looked compared to what Favors could have offered. Thanks for your insight.
Whiteside was super inconsistent. Shocker. There were plays where he was clearly worse than Favors on his average night. Like, Hasan barely even rotated at all. He’s got a long way to go.

The transition defense was pretty bad last night. That kind of effort and focus will lose games against league-average teams.

He was great offensively in the Clippers series. He struggled a little defensively but so did every single other player not named Rudy Gobert.

People overreact way too much based on one playoff series or even whole playoff runs. A player can be great one series, terrible the next. Such is the case with small sample sizes. There are fundamental issues that pop up in the playoffs, but players can just as easily have a good or bad stretch of games.

I think although Whiteside didn't have his best game, the Thunder's offense definitely felt his presence when he was on the court. Where as last year there was a noticeable drop-off (on defense) when Favors was in.

I'd love to see Butler get more minutes but whose minutes is he taking? When Gay comes back whose minutes is he taking? Still don't think we have the roster to combat small ball but I guess we'll see...

The Thunder were mostly feeling the defensive presence of the wide open air last night. That's the luxury of playing a team who is not playing to win.

When Gay comes back he'll take Paschall's minutes, but I would prefer if Paschall went on to take Whiteside's minutes. I like Paschall and think he has some really nice skills....but he's in a losing situation playing the Niang role. He will have clear strengths and weaknesses at the 5, but I like them more than Whiteside.

I thought Whiteside was mostly solid. Did some good things… did some bad things. I was not longing for Favs… the cost difference is enormous. Could have done without the two post ups but one came against a smaller dude and the other came after he got an offensive rebound and kicked it out.

I think all year he’s they type of guy we will look for the dumb ****. Even though he does some good stuff it will largely be ignored or considered empty calories. He’s a backup 5… just keep us afloat and give us some good with the bad.

I loved how someone (won’t mention who) repped Whiteside in part because he was +1 for the game.
“Whiteside we must assess judiciously, yet when we look at his past we run into the problem of induction. But his firmness of character tends towards a laziness, an inability to sustain tendencies that nourish team success. Lo and behold: he must commit, forthright, to improvement. Sheepshead stew and haggis nourish, perhaps he must eat these things.”

“Whiteside we must assess judiciously, yet when we look at his past we run into the problem of induction. But his firmness of character tends towards a laziness, an inability to sustain tendencies that nourish team success. Lo and behold: he must commit, forthright, to improvement. Sheepshead stew and haggis nourish, perhaps he must eat these things.”
This

I liked Whiteside, but he did seem a bit slow at times. Interested to see how he's doing in about a month. I think he'll buy in to the program more and more. He looks fully healthy at least.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

I thought Whiteside was just what was needed. The Jazz didn't lose ground. Are there things to improve? Maybe but this is not a weak point for the team. It is a strength.
Being +1 in 19 minutes against the Thunder.... This performance is confirming something for you?

I thought Whiteside was mostly solid. Did some good things… did some bad things. I was not longing for Favs… the cost difference is enormous. Could have done without the two post ups but one came against a smaller dude and the other came after he got an offensive rebound and kicked it out.

I think all year he’s they type of guy we will look for the dumb ****. Even though he does some good stuff it will largely be ignored or considered empty calories. He’s a backup 5… just keep us afloat and give us some good with the bad.

We won’t appreciate Whiteside until Dok plays (if he ever does) and we see a player that does nothing well.

Being +1 in 19 minutes against the Thunder.... This performance is confirming something for you?
Individual plus minus in one game is not helpful... I know you know that.

I think with Hassan you have to look at what good things he did vs. the bad things... if it is roughly even its fine. He had a couple blocks, was all over the glass, and generally looked to be trying to do the right things... he was also kind of funny (he gets an entertainment factor bonus). He gave up a couple easy ones on missed rotations.. he took two hook shots that are not what we are looking for.

Overall I take his game last night as solid. He was good enough to maintain a healthy lead in the fourth against a ****** team which allowed Rudy to get some extra rest. Anytime we can get 19 minutes out of him in a win vs. 12 it is helpful.

He didn't seem to **** the offense up too bad. He looked better on both ends than Ed Davis ever did... On a minimum deal I think he exceeded expectations... Lets see how he looks after 15-20 games... I may be ready to get off the roller coaster.

We won’t appreciate Whiteside until Dok plays (if he ever does) and we see a player that does nothing well.
We need to go back and watch Ed Davis tape every time we get too whiny.

I also am viewing everything Whiteside from the perspective that come playoff time unless the other team has a huge backup center we will go small and use Gay/Paschall at 4/5. Hassan is an innings eater in the regular season.