What's new

Game Thread Oct 31, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Grizzlies

Added to Calendar: 10-31-22

I heard Boler say last night that Vanderbilt had had two career threes prior to coming to the Jazz and has hit four in his first month playing for us. If that’s not growth and development I don’t know what is.
One of the beautiful things about having no expectations is that you can have players trying to expand their games without having to worry about screwing up. That takes a lot of pressure off these guys when working to get better. That is one of the reasons that I think Ben Simmons is struggling so much offensively. He needs to go to a team with no expectations so he can be bad while working his way out of this funk and not have it matter.

One thing I really enjoy about this team is that they have a high standard for shot quality. They will work hard for a good shot and not just chuck up a bunch of garbage (unless it’s THT lol).

With the last team, I often felt that there was too much offensive firepower. Guys were concerned about getting their shots in, so whenever they had the chance to shoot or run PnR themselves they would take it. It turned into a your turn my turn kind of thing. They were the best offense in the league, surely talented enough to pull it off, but it obviously had lingering consequences. Even “team first” guys like Rudy and Joe threw fits and stopped competing when they didn’t get enough touches. And when things did not go to plan, every players idea of how to help the team was to make an offensive play themselves. So it would be more hero ball.

This year, we have a lot of guys who know they can help the team other ways. Instead of desperately chucking to stop a run, they desperately go for a turnover or offensive rebound. Night and day attitude.

I heard Boler say last night that Vanderbilt had had two career threes prior to coming to the Jazz and has hit four in his first month playing for us. If that’s not growth and development I don’t know what is.
3/21 before coming to the Jazz. 4/9 (44%) with the Jazz so far. I hope he continues to take one or two per game, even when he hits a rougher patch.

One thing I really enjoy about this team is that they have a high standard for shot quality. They will work hard for a good shot and not just chuck up a bunch of garbage (unless it’s THT lol).

With the last team, I often felt that there was too much offensive firepower. Guys were concerned about getting their shots in, so whenever they had the chance to shoot or run PnR themselves they would take it. It turned into a your turn my turn kind of thing. They were the best offense in the league, surely talented enough to pull it off, but it obviously had lingering consequences. Even “team first” guys like Rudy and Joe threw fits and stopped competing when they didn’t get enough touches. And when things did not go to plan, every players idea of how to help the team was to make an offensive play themselves. So it would be more hero ball.

This year, we have a lot of guys who know they can help the team other ways. Instead of desperately chucking to stop a run, they desperately go for a turnover or offensive rebound. Night and day attitude.
Good post

They cut to the bench at one point last night and Conley was clearly explaining something to Vando and he was all ears. I agree the vets are needed to help develop these young guys.
I agree. And when you look at the vets kept I mean this has just been so exquisitely orchestrated IMO.

The team is bought in right now. Even Gay has resisted the urge to chuck too much. Hardy has done a good job.

I know it's early and there's a lot of recency bias into play here, but seriously, I haven't been this thrilled to watch a Jazz team in, honestly, it's hard to remember when. It's at least on the same level of the pre-covid Rudy/Don era and the Deron/Boozer/Memo era Jazz.

I doubt they will reach the latter's two success, but it's made up by the fact they are very fun to watch, they play hard, and they all seem to enjoy playing together. They are an absolute delight to watch. I remember absolutely dreading this season before it started knowing that there were going to be 82 games of this crap, and now I'm delighted there's going to be that many.

I know it's early and there's a lot of recency bias into play here, but seriously, I haven't been this thrilled to watch a Jazz team in, honestly, it's hard to remember when. It's at least on the same level of the pre-covid Rudy/Don era and the Deron/Boozer/Memo era Jazz.

I doubt they will reach the latter's two success, but it's made up by the fact they are very fun to watch, they play hard, and they all seem to enjoy playing together. They are an absolute delight to watch. I remember absolutely dreading this season before it started knowing that there were going to be 82 games of this crap, and now I'm delighted there's going to be that many
All of this. I’ve been thinking a lot about that year with Deron/Boozer/Memo when we made the WCF. Nobody expected it. Not saying we will do that this year, but it’s that kind of vibe and that much fun to watch. Beating the Clippers in the playoffs with a young Don and Rudy and a veteran Joe Johnson is reminiscent of that, too. But going into this season, I certainly didn’t anticipate a 6-2 start.

I doubt they will reach the latter's two success, but it's made up by the fact they are very fun to watch, they play hard, and they all seem to enjoy playing together. They are an absolute delight to watch. I remember absolutely dreading this season before it started knowing that there were going to be 82 games of this crap, and now I'm delighted there's going to be that many.
You are welcome to your own opinion of course, but the regular season after Covid was the best Jazz basketball of all time. I really don't get the revisionist history of acting like that team wasn't a great watch just because of what happened in the Clippers series.

You are welcome to your own opinion of course, but the regular season after Covid was the best Jazz basketball of all time. I really don't get the revisionist history of acting like that team wasn't a great watch just because of what happened in the Clippers series.
The finish is always what they remember. They don't remember having the girl in their room late at night, they remember their mom walking in and yelling. The ending is all that matters. Short attention something something. What's on netflix?