What's new

Ode to Tom Nissalke - RIP

Archie Moses

I hated listening to him on the radio

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Loved the passion. Met him briefly. My good friend dated his daughter. Listened to him often on the radio. I guess I can see why some people didn't enjoy his commentary. He wasn't really built for radio, I don't think.

My favorite Nissalke memory was listening to his reaction to Bargiani going #1.

He was just flabbergasted. “Bargiani?! You don’t use the number one pick on someone like Bargiani.”
It was a bad pick, and a bad draft. Amazing that the Jazz picked up Milsap at 47. How many of the guys ahead of him has he outperformed over the course of his career? It's a big number. Definitely higher than 40. Maybe 46.

It was a bad pick, and a bad draft. Amazing that the Jazz picked up Milsap at 47. How many of the guys ahead of him has he outperformed over the course of his career? It's a big number. Definitely higher than 40. Maybe 46.
It’s interesting.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2006.html

The only one you could clearly argue had a better career was Aldridge, and even then. Dude is soft. Very surprised he ended up in SA.

ETA: I really wanted Redick that year. Thought he’d be great at the 2 next to Deron. Had a really slow start but him the last 5 years was what I envisioned more of, which obviously took a long time.

I hated listening to him on the radio

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He used to bug me. I remember one time after listening to him on the radio, I was like, who the hell is this guy and Googled him. After reading how old he was and knowing how passionate he still was about basketball at his age and how long he was around the game was impressive and a testament to how much he loved the game. That and seeing what he accomplished made me respect him more.

I can do a made Nissalke impersonation. He had a very specific way of talking and it's fun to do. Haha

RIP, man. Greet Jerry when he passes.