What's new

Official Derrick Favors Thread

Just one question, what made you guys think Malone is a good mentor? I mean, I would not want Favors to have the off-the-court activities that Malone had that produced multiple kids from different women... I also don't recall any of his understudies during his tenure came on his own after playing/practicing with him. He was a great player and I love him as a player, but I am not so sure about his mentoring skills.

I think Favors does need a big man coach though. But before we find him a good one, I will just roll Dwight Howard's tape on him over and over and over.

1) What prospect could Malone have taught?
2) Nobody brings in someone to teach a player to **** 14 year olds and be an ******* in their free time. Are you serious?
3) Malone had talent and a great genetic base, but nobody's born with the body he earned through hard work, and his game from a skill standpoint is what made everything so special.

Karl is a moron in certain respects, but the guy knows everything there is to know about being a big in the league. He's already volunteered to help with coaching this team and giving him a role where he can't overshadow the real coaches or breath down the neck of the players would be perfect.

Favors definitely impressed me tonight. The most important thing is that he displayed great defensive quickness, far above average. This is something you can't teach. Favors has the possibility of being a cornerstone of a great defense. Other than that he worked hard, made a 15 foot jumper, and did a good job of playing within a system he knows nothing about.

I'm really looking forward to his development.

Last edited:
1) What prospect could Malone have taught?
2) Nobody brings in someone to teach a player to **** 14 year olds and be an ******* in their free time. Are you serious?
3) Malone had talent and a great genetic base, but nobody's born with the body he earned through hard work, and his game from a skill standpoint is what made everything so special.

Karl is a moron in certain respects, but the guy knows everything there is to know about being a big in the league. He's already volunteered to help with coaching this team and giving him a role where he can't overshadow the real coaches or breath down the neck of the players would be perfect.

I'm not a Malone fan. Can't stand the guy as a person. But he certainly could tutor Favors on a few things. Malone had defensive tricks, like punching the ball out of opponents hands. He could teach Favors some low post moves. And he could definitely show Favors what his off-season workouts were like. Imagine if Favors improved as much as Malone did every season. Malone was 22 yrs old as a rookie. Favors is only 19. And Derrick already has a physique that is almost as impressive as Malone's was, he just needs to add about 10 lbs.

The great thing is that we now have two Power Forwards that can also play Center. This is how we will eventually beat the Lakers in the playoffs. Jefferson matches up well against Gasol and Favors matches up well against Bynum. We no longer are at a size and length disadvantage. Personally, I think that this may be the trade that finally gives us the tools to be able to compete for the NBA Title. I also agree about Millsap. He either will have to become the starting Small Forward (as AK ages), or go back to anchoring the bench as the back up Power Forward. I personally think that Paul is eventually going to become our starting SF, but that is just me.

Karl Malone wants to help the Jazz. He said he'd do it for free. Let him do us a favor and have him work with Favors, like Horny did for AK.

Favors has a lot of potential. Let's polish those talents.

As a nets fan, I simply think that Derrick Favors has ALOT of room to grow. He will give you quick flashes of what he can become. He will have his good strides and bad strides. I believe its his confidence issue. He does have a lot of potential of course, but I always almost lost hope in Favors. I know how badly he wanted to be a New Jersey Net. He said it so many interviews how he wanted to stay with the nets. I mean I haven't heard many players say that since VC and RJ.

Now, while he was playing for my Nets. I always found hope in the stats and numbers related and compared to other Stars bigs in the league their rookie season. Its quite impressive to see how they compare to some of the best now.

Per 36 Mins Numbers (Rookie Season)

Favors: 11.6 PPG 9.8 REB 1.3 BLK 51% Shooting

Garnett: 13.1 PPG 7.9 REB 2.1 BLK 49% Shooting

Amare: 15.5 PPG 10.1 REB 1.2 BLK 47% Shooting

Howard: 13.1 PPG 11.1 REB 1.8 BLK 52% Shooting

Now this should get Jazz fans excited about Favors...

Karl Malone wants to help the Jazz. He said he'd do it for free. Let him do us a favor and have him work with Favors, like Horny did for AK.

They are idiots if they haven't called him yet.
Malone is begging to help the team, and for free?

Get him on the next plane up to Utah. He is dying to work with Favors, Sap, and Big Al.

Yea because AK is such a great shooter now that he has worked with Hornacek.

The great thing is that we now have two Power Forwards that can also play Center. This is how we will eventually beat the Lakers in the playoffs. Jefferson matches up well against Gasol and Favors matches up well against Bynum. We no longer are at a size and length disadvantage. Personally, I think that this may be the trade that finally gives us the tools to be able to compete for the NBA Title. I also agree about Millsap. He either will have to become the starting Small Forward (as AK ages), or go back to anchoring the bench as the back up Power Forward. I personally think that Paul is eventually going to become our starting SF, but that is just me.

Give me some of that!

kool_aid_2.gif

what a great kid - his head seems screwed on seriously straight :)

I even have to adore his slight bend towards overoptimism!

but I think he needs a different nickname than D-Fave; that seems too reminiscent of D-Will. The kid needs his own identity.

Would be nice, but it could be a while before we play the Lakers in the playoffs again. They're on the decline after this year. Kobe has a lot of mileage on those legs. But generally, having a solid PF/C or two is 1/2 of the recipe for success in this league. Now we need an all start SG/SF (not former all star) who can shoot and creat his own shot.