What's new

Official: Failure to experiment

NAOS

Q's failure to experiment with different combos (e.g. small ball, to accelerate a stalled offense) and different players (ahem! Butler!) is now officially costing us games AND decreasing our chances in the playoffs (when you need to have had practice and game reps).

I've complained about this **** for 3-4 seasons now. I gave myself 20ish games this year before I judged, but I see no glimmer of change.

We could be fairly confident and comfortable with a 3 seed finish.... and, at this point, to get there as we play around with different combos, concepts, etc. But that aint what's happening.

Couldn't agree more. Among other things, it's past time to start reducing Ingles's role. He clearly isn't the same player anymore. Also, the refusal to give Butler some developmental minutes is puzzling and frustrating, especially on the nights when Mike is sitting out.

It's honestly Quin's biggest flaw at this point. I wonder how long Smith will be content to have a winning season but an early playoff exit. The Miller's (especially after Larry passed) were more concerned about butts in seats than being a true competitor and most fans just want to see their team win on a semi regular basis. My hope is Smith will want the ultimate prize and won't be afraid to make the adjustments to get there. If Quin won't try something new to get there maybe it's time to try someone who will. I'm willing to see what Ainge can get for him to use but damn, it feels terrible to pin any hopes on that prick.

Though I’m not a fan of small ball, good experimentation would be with putting a disruptive guy out there strategically. We saw that we needed it in the Denver series. We signed Shaq but ended up waiving him. Theoretically, could he have been thrown in for a few minutes to get a couple stops against Jackson? You know, when we gave up a 25 point lead? Of course we can say that’s a silly idea that only a message board fan would suggest, but what our expert guy who gets paid way more than me did was a colossal failure, and not just some brief moment of bad luck. But I believe the crux of this would be that we could justify playing someone like that when we’re doing well because, well, “we’re doing well!” And then when we are coming apart at the seams we can’t justify doing something different because it’s “unproven.” So it’s a paradox that keeps us glued to the current way we do things and just hope for better luck.

I agree and it is really frustrating. Cognitive flexibility has been shown to be the best predictor of happiness and well being. I am guessing Quin is not a particularly happy person...

I have no reason to think Quin's job is safe, especially with the Ainge hiring. DL was the first to go. If the Jazz under perform again this year, which looks likely unless something drastic changes, I do think there is a legitimate chance the Jazz are looking at coaching options next summer. By biggest worry is that the coaching search will be limited to former BYU players.

We’ve seen zero non-garbage minutes with Paschall at the 5 and Gay at the 4. Maybe zero minutes of any kind.

I want to see a totally spread floor with Paschall and Donovan or Conley in the PnR. Paschall on the short roll.

There’s every reason to think this might be a productive and useful combo.

It's honestly Quin's biggest flaw at this point. I wonder how long Smith will be content to have a winning season but an early playoff exit. The Miller's (especially after Larry passed) were more concerned about butts in seats than being a true competitor and most fans just want to see their team win on a semi regular basis. My hope is Smith will want the ultimate prize and won't be afraid to make the adjustments to get there. If Quin won't try something new to get there maybe it's time to try someone who will. I'm willing to see what Ainge can get for him to use but damn, it feels terrible to pin any hopes on that prick.
Prick because he wouldn’t do a sign and trade for Hayward?

So does anyone think Ainge will do something before deadline
Why was he brought in right now
Seems like he has to do something this year to earn his salary

We’ve seen zero non-garbage minutes with Paschall at the 5 and Gay at the 4. Maybe zero minutes of any kind.

I want to see a totally spread floor with Paschall and Donovan or Conley in the PnR. Paschall on the short roll.

There’s every reason to think this might be a productive and useful combo.
they did it for a few minutes when Hassan was out but it was really bad and it was clear neither guy knew what they were supposed to do.

problem is you cant dabble with the zone or small ball and hope to be good at it… you have to committ real time to it and risk sucking at it for long periods to get good at it. GS took last 2 years and used it to teach Wiggins and others their style of basketball.

Add some disruptive defenders and different looks… even if it’s with the same guys you have… and do it now or it’s already too late. Experimenting and adjusting in game 5 or 6 of a playoff series ain’t gonna work.

There is no excuse not to experiment as we are not clawing our way to the 1 seed. There is no difference between 3/4 seed… lose some games trying ****. Bring in someone more dynamic than Trent Forrest… playoff seeding doesn’t matter… at 3/4 you might see the clips or a healthy Lakers or a Denver with Murray back… at 2 you might get the same results… we will not end at #1… we just wont