What's new

Official *FAVORS WATCH* thread

Really? How can we tell for sure, given the talent he's surrounded with? He is not a main piece. He's a great player, but it seems a recipe for disaster to give the max to that kind of piece. See the
AK situation. See Portland. See Ryan Anderson's contract.
See Gobert

Defenses are much more threatened by Harden than Rubio or Dante.
This matters to what degree?

Capela is a great center. He is worth the max. He allows their defense to be ranked in the top 5 and he is great on offense for what they do (like Gobert, which is why I said "see Gobert"). He is nothing like Ryan Anderson, who is a massive liability on defense. Or AK who was marred by injury and playing for a coach who didnt get him. No idea what Portland has to do with signing a max center.

This matters to what degree?

Capela is a great center. He is worth the max. He allows their defense to be ranked in the top 5 and he is great on offense for what they do (like Gobert, which is why I said "see Gobert"). He is nothing like Ryan Anderson, who is a massive liability on defense. Or AK who was marred by injury and playing for a coach who didnt get him. No idea what Portland has to do with signing a max center.

Max to a third best player is a problem. Capela doesn't seem to be a number one guy. Time will tell.

Are any centers outside AD (maybe Embiid and Rudy) worth the max in todays game?

How much would Houston lose if they replaced Capela with someone like Nerlens Noel? Even if that guy is 15-20% worse than Capela is that really worth $20M/yr? I don't think so.

In saying that I hope they Max him for the Jazzs sake.

Are any centers outside AD (maybe Embiid and Rudy) worth the max in todays game?

How much would Houston lose if they replaced Capela with someone like Nerlens Noel? Even if that guy is 15-20% worse than Capela is that really worth $20M/yr? I don't think so.

In saying that I hope they Max him for the Jazzs sake.

The good news is... They can't max CP3 and Clint AND keep all their cast. Someone has to go. Someone will offer Clint a near max and he'll most likely be gone. They'll probably get someone like Noel to replace him but he's nowhere the monster Clint is

The Rockets will be a one year project. They cant keep Capella, Ariza, Paul and Mbah a Moute. If they max Capella (which they have to do since they have no picks and Chris Paul is 34 soon), then they are over capped out. They might be able to keep Paul too, but Ariza and Mbah a Moute are key wings for them.

The teams that concern me in the next 5 years are GS, Philly, Boston and the Lakers. If LA gets George, they will be solid and bound to get better. If they get another star, watch out...

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Favors is gone unless the dominos from other teams fall an unexpected way.
Someone will offer him more money, and more minutes.

I'll miss him for sure. Great guy off the court, solid as a rock on the floor, and perfect teammate. RIP Favors (unless we get REALLY lucky)

Favors is gone unless the dominos from other teams fall an unexpected way.
Someone will offer him more money, and more minutes.

I'll miss him for sure. Great guy off the court, solid as a rock on the floor, and perfect teammate. RIP Favors (unless we get REALLY lucky)

Favors has a comfortable situation right now. I believe odds are he will re-sign with the team. However, if he leaves, I will salute him and thank him for his time. I will wish him well and hope his playing days are filled with great stats and winning (except against the Jazz, of course). And I will never boo him. He stayed during the Dark Times when we needed someone like him. We still need someone like him, but he must do right by him and his family. If ATL or PHX gives him the bank and he decides that's best, he has to take that.

Regardless, we <3 Favors.

My gut tells me that Favs is gone. The thing with him selling his house and his wife and kids moving to Atlanta during the season tells me a lot. Also he is making similar noises as Haywood did last year right after the season. That being said all is not bleak. We have Bradley, Rudy, Jonas, Ekpe, Jae, and Ingles that can play the 4 or 5.

The Rockets will be a one year project. They cant keep Capella, Ariza, Paul and Mbah a Moute. If they max Capella (which they have to do since they have no picks and Chris Paul is 34 soon), then they are over capped out. They might be able to keep Paul too, but Ariza and Mbah a Moute are key wings for them.

The teams that concern me in the next 5 years are GS, Philly, Boston and the Lakers. If LA gets George, they will be solid and bound to get better. If they get another star, watch out...

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
If they get a ring this year you might see some players doing what the guys in golden state are doing, and taking less to keep the team together. I thought at some point this kind of thing would happen as far as salaries have risen in the past decade. You reach a point where money is not the deciding factor. Players begin to realize they can live just fine on $100 million and are willing to pass on $120 million if it means championships. This is what really made the super-team possible. Of course KD was willing to take "less", since there is little difference realistically between $60 million and $70 million over 2 years, and his next contract will bring close to $40 mill per year. This has a lot less of an impact than it did in the Stock/Malone days when the difference could be a $9 mill per year contract vs $19 mill. Stockton in his entire career didn't make what these guys are making in 2-3 years. So don't be surprised if teams like that start taking a little less to keep the team together, and if more super-teams form at least partially due to this fact.

What? Hayward was never this forthright about his plans. He never specifically said he wanted to stay. He'd say a few nice things about the franchise, but that was about it.

He was completely non-committal. I also want to say he said/did a couple things that were worrisome.

With Favs I'm a little torn. If he comes back I think it's on a 1+1 deal, but I'm not sure I'd rather have them just commit to being a two big team long term or stay in the middle another year. Maybe get him on a team friendly long term deal. The more I listen to Locke the more I think we may not be a player in FA... I think we might add a pending FA, but we might not be looking to jump at that big blue chip FA.

Also, didnt Favors say something about staying in Atlanta for the summer, but returning as necessary? I think Derrick - unlike Hayseed - is really undecided. My guess is that Atlanta gets him with sn offer of at least 4/$60m+. Utah's limit might be 3/$45m.

So they should lose Capela, which might cause Chris Paul to leave?

They are a big market with a rich owner. It won't be that big of a problem.

He's really good... better at Rudy on the perimeter and better at catching lobs... I still feel Rudy is better overall.

The will surely keep him. I hope they have to max him. Being over LT does more than just make rich owners pay a lot of money... it limits what you can offer in other scenarios... I think they lose either Ariza or LMM this offseason.

I'm much more concerned about the Warriors and I think they will smoke Houston.

Also, didnt Favors say something about staying in Atlanta for the summer, but returning as necessary? I think Derrick - unlike Hayseed - is really undecided. My guess is that Atlanta gets him with sn offer of at least 4/$60m+. Utah's limit might be 3/$
45m.

i actually think he really wants to stay, he said so mid year, he has said as much now, hope things work out.