What's new

Official Rudy Gobert Trade Ideas Thread

Just look at the defensive numbers when Rudy is off the floor - even if you trade him, the rest of the team is still trash on defense. That needs to change either way.
Conley is likely gone. Joe and Royce should stay.

I doubt Bojan nets us the type defenders we need to succeed around Rudy so Rudy will be traded.

We need Jerami Grant.

Don, Royce, Grant and Bojan has some balance. Our perimeter defense just got stronger. Add in some bulldogs to that mix. We need Beverlies.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I’m not trading Rudy because he had a bad game, I am trading Rudy because I don’t believe we can have long term success with his contract taking up half of our cap space. He belongs on a team like Sacramento that would just die and go to heaven to make the Playoffs, or catching lobs for Trae Young.

Also it's not like this is the only bad playoff game Rudy's ever had. We've struggled bad against Houston and Golden State in the playoffs when they play small ball.

Conley is likely gone. Joe and Royce should stay.

I doubt Bojan nets us the type defenders we need to succeed around Rudy so Rudy will be traded.

We need Jerami Grant.

Don, Royce, Grant and Bojan has some balance. Our perimeter defense just got stronger. Add in some bulldogs to that mix. We need Beverlies.

Detroit isn't trading Grant, even for Rudy. He's their best player and biggest FA acquisition in years.

To note - I'm still team Rudy, but if we do trade him I like the GS package as it's more of a teardown package.

3 way with PDX/PHI? Probably needs some balancing, but I don't hate the basics.

CJ to Philly
Simmons to Utah
Gobert to Portland

Someone like Sacramento would absolutely take his contract.

We could probably get our choice of Barnes/Hield + Bagley + first-round picks.

Just look at the defensive numbers when Rudy is off the floor - even if you trade him, the rest of the team is still trash on defense. That needs to change either way.
100% This. But how do we get starters that are better defenders? Other than Rudy, Bojan and Clarkson are about the only players that could net us a starting caliber player. I loved the Fav for DJJ idea from Portland in another thread. Two MLE signings that didn’t work for either team as hoped.

To note - I'm still team Rudy, but if we do trade him I like the GS package as it's more of a teardown package.

3 way with PDX/PHI? Probably needs some balancing, but I don't hate the basics.

CJ to Philly
Simmons to Utah
Gobert to Portland
This might be my vendetta against Simmons talking, but I'd rather have CJ. I'm not sure I could stand watching Simmons have to shoot 33% from the line all season long.

100% This. But how do we get starters that are better defenders? Other than Rudy, Bojan and Clarkson are about the only players that could net us a starting caliber player. I loved the Fav for DJJ idea from Portland in another thread. Two MLE signings that didn’t work for either team as hoped.
I have absolutely no idea. I've tried to avoid thinking of any trades or offseason moves, but yeah, our hands are pretty tied.

If we want to keep Rudy, then you have to keep Conley since he's an asset who fits with Rudy that we can't let leave for nothing.

So our tradeable assets become Bojan and Clarkson. Joe won't have tangible value and Royce isn't worth trading.

So what could Bojan and/or Clarkson get us? I don't think much. Well not much in terms of quality perimeter defenders who aren't complete offensive liabilities.

I would absolutely love to get someone young on Donovan’s timeline like RJ Barrett in a Rudy trade. Not sure if that’s feasible or not but that is close to best case scenario for him.

A Gobert/Beal swap with us adding picks is interesting. I don’t know if Washington does it though. It does make a lot of sense.

My preferred trade partner is Atlanta. The have a lot I like and there has to be some moves there that make sense for both teams.

Yes and no... Philly has the same issue with Embiid... it’s partly a system thing... we run one system that makes Rudy’s strengths shine... then try to do the same with non-Rudy players and it doesn’t work at all. The defensive talent needs to be better but you need good offensive players to compensate for Rudy’s limitations.