What's new

Official UofU homer thread

Well hats off Utah ended up a lot better so far than I thought they would be. Your running back who un-retired seems to have really put the team on his back and carried him along with others seemingly stepping up. I was most impressed with the fight you guys put up against Washington and so far your ability to consistently win. Seems like most years the Utes win some big games and lose some they should have won.

Good luck at your next game. I still expect Oregon to win they have the talent on the team and hopefully they are motivated for this game. The back to back loses to decent teams in Nebraska and Colorado really made this team quit on the season which is always sad to see as a fan. Their expectations of winning this year were too high in a down year. Good news is we have some great talent and I like the ability and grit of a true freshman at QB we have. Hopefully we refill our d-line and defense in general that has been ravaged by our success and having a lot of kids leave early for the NFL, long term that is always good for a program though.

I wont take any shots at yall after we win since ill get 20 negs from the sensitive folks in here but ill be back and take some lumps if we lose. Its easy to fall back on being an elite team over 20 years and knowing the program has ups and downs but has been trending up for a long time and will always be near the top more often than not. peace out.

Well hats off Utah ended up a lot better so far than I thought they would be. Your running back who un-retired seems to have really put the team on his back and carried him along with others seemingly stepping up. I was most impressed with the fight you guys put up against Washington and so far your ability to consistently win. Seems like most years the Utes win some big games and lose some they should have won.

Good luck at your next game. I still expect Oregon to win they have the talent on the team and hopefully they are motivated for this game. The back to back loses to decent teams in Nebraska and Colorado really made this team quit on the season which is always sad to see as a fan. Their expectations of winning this year were too high in a down year. Good news is we have some great talent and I like the ability and grit of a true freshman at QB we have. Hopefully we refill our d-line and defense in general that has been ravaged by our success and having a lot of kids leave early for the NFL, long term that is always good for a program though.

I wont take any shots at yall after we win since ill get 20 negs from the sensitive folks in here but ill be back and take some lumps if we lose. Its easy to fall back on being an elite team over 20 years and knowing the program has ups and downs but has been trending up for a long time and will always be near the top more often than not. peace out.

Thanks for the pat on the head. Didn't want it, don't need it. It's pretty funny that your elite football program will need to play it's best game of the year by far just to keep it within single digits.

Thanks for the pat on the head. Didn't want it, don't need it. It's pretty funny that your elite football program will need to play it's best game of the year by far just to keep it within single digits.
Wow, that wasn't condescending/douchey at all.

Where do you think Joe Williams will get drafted? I'm guessing the top to middle of the 3rd round. He could legit end up being the best back out of what will be a great running back draft (Fournette, Cook, Chubb, McCaffrey, etc.) but I would guess teams would have some concerns with him retiring once in college and him deciding to quit after just a couple years in the NFL.

Wow, that wasn't condescending/douchey at all.

Hey bro, do a lot of 7th Day Adventists follow BYU? Do you think that's because they don't have a team of their own and BYU is kinda the closest thing? I really appreciate your perspective on this, because you're the only 7th Day Adventist BYU fan I know.

Where do you think Joe Williams will get drafted? I'm guessing the top to middle of the 3rd round. He could legit end up being the best back out of what will be a great running back draft (Fournette, Cook, Chubb, McCaffrey, etc.) but I would guess teams would have some concerns with him retiring once in college and him deciding to quit after just a couple years in the NFL.
I seriously doubt he goes that high. Most of his long TD's are all about speed. Some of the holes he ran through were huge and the argument can be made that all of those other RB's could have gotten tons of yards on those carries. I'll be surprised if he's drafted before the 6th or 7th rounds. RB's are just not as valuable in the NFL as they once were. Booker was a better back and he went at the end of the 4th round last year. That was a draft without a lot of high level RB's.

Hey bro, do a lot of 7th Day Adventists follow BYU? Do you think that's because they don't have a team of their own and BYU is kinda the closest thing? I really appreciate your perspective on this, because you're the only 7th Day Adventist BYU fan I know.
Probably not.

I seriously doubt he goes that high. Most of his long TD's are all about speed. Some of the holes he ran through were huge and the argument can be made that all of those other RB's could have gotten tons of yards on those carries. I'll be surprised if he's drafted before the 6th or 7th rounds. RB's are just not as valuable in the NFL as they once were. Booker was a better back and he went at the end of the 4th round last year. That was a draft without a lot of high level RB's.

I agree Joe might not get drafted that high, but you're really underestimating his speed and how many of the runs that he has broken, wouldn't have happened with another guy.

Most of his TD runs, at least one DB has an angle that would get 99% of guys tackled, but Joe blazes past them. I think his speed is making it look so easy that it makes it look like big holes anyone could run through. He has had many carries that would have been 20 yards with almost any RB in the nation, but that extra foot of separation his speed gets him let's him beat the last guy and go 60+ for a TD.

A lot of his runs have been almost surreal, similar to when Usain Bolt hits an extra gear and you feel like your eyes are playing tricks on you.

I agree Joe might not get drafted that high, but you're really underestimating his speed and how many of the runs that he has broken, wouldn't have happened with another guy.

Most of his TD runs, at least one DB has an angle that would get 99% of guys tackled, but Joe blazes past them. I think his speed is making it look so easy that it makes it look like big holes anyone could run through. He has had many carries that would have been 20 yards with almost any RB in the nation, but that extra foot of separation his speed gets him let's him beat the last guy and go 60+ for a TD.

A lot of his runs have been almost surreal, similar to when Usain Bolt hits an extra gear and you feel like your eyes are playing tricks on you.

He also running against the Pac-12 in 2016.

Enjoy the *** kicking by Stanford today?

I know backs are not valued like they once were. But I think you're wildly underestimating how good he may be. The kid runs hard, tough as hell, breaking tackles, AND has good top end speed. Personally, I think he's a better pro back than McCaffrey and would maybe take him ahead of Chubb.

Also didnt he "retire" because of injuries and loss of desire to play? That seems like it would affect his draft stock.

I agree with you, it was not my intention to underestimate that aspect. I didn't make it clear but his speed is great. Pretty sure that's not enough in the NFL though. He gets extra yards with his speed and the effect of him coming through the line and realizing he is probably gone is awe inspiring. He has also played with a lot more toughness than he was to begin the season, that has been fantastic.
In the NFL his speed can be marginalized because he's not great at making guys miss, he's not great at beating a guy 1 on 1 in space. He is fast, not shifty. He probably has a place in the NFL, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't get drafted at all. Because of RB's not being as sought after, him quitting during his senior season, and his lack of other NFL skills outside of speed, he may not be drafted because of those factors.
All that said his speed when he has field in front of him is amazing.

I know backs are not valued like they once were. But I think you're wildly underestimating how good he may be. The kid runs hard, tough as hell, breaking tackles, AND has good top end speed. Personally, I think he's a better pro back than McCaffrey and would maybe take him ahead of Chubb.
I think you are really overestimating his value in the NFL. He really doesn't make guys miss or break very many tackles. He is now breaking arm tackles by off balance players but does not make guys miss in space and doesn't win one on one battles to make a guy miss or break those tackles very often. His only NFL level skill, IMO, is speed.

Also didnt he "retire" because of injuries and loss of desire to play? That seems like it would affect his draft stock.
That was to excuse they had for him retiring. I think it had more to due with: he wasn't playing well, he couldn't hold onto the ball, and he was going to be the 3rd string back for the rest of the season. When Utah got decimated by injuries he came back.

I think you are really overestimating his value in the NFL. He really doesn't make guys miss or break very many tackles. He is now breaking arm tackles by off balance players but does not make guys miss in space and doesn't win one on one battles to make a guy miss or break those tackles very often. His only NFL level skill, IMO, is speed.

Overestimating? I have him going in the bottom half of the third round. I'm not saying he is an elite back.