What's new

Offseason Plan + Lauri Thread

Would anyone deal Collins for Wiggins?

He has one more year than Collins on his contract. He has a higher ceiling than Collins and maybe Utah would be a good situation for him? Can Utah rehab his value?
I would if it came with something extra.

If you hate Collins wait until you watch Wiggins mail it in.

Again- he disappeared for half a season on a contender. Don't expect him to lock in here to fight for the 10th seed. Wiggins is on the all-apathy team with DeAndre Ayton... If they want to give us a pick to swap Wiggins and Collins then I would probably do it. Straight up... nah.
You are probably right. I just wish we had never gotten Collins at all. And maybe this would just be doubling down on that for more money and years.

Would still do it though :cool:

Here's my off-season plan. I've always maintained that for a team like ours the best path to contention is via the draft and the best way to get a top tier talent in the draft is to tank. And every single player who is not in the long-term plans of the team should be available for a trade. Convert current value that won't be useful when the time comes to contend into future value that might be useful when we actually are fighting for something.

The hardest one to figure out in that frame IMO is Lauri. And he very well might be very useful piece of the next contending Jazz team. I really like Lauri and I think we struck gold with that trade. I think if we get one or two top tier offensive initiators Lauri would be one of the best complementary pieces offensively you can ask for in the league. So...

Step 1. Extend Lauri. Reasoning - I think he can be part of the next contending Jazz team.

Step 2. Trade away everyone who is not in the plans long-term. I do NOT care about whether we field a respectable roster next season... in fact... if we start a couple of rookies, that wouldn't be the worst thing. Sexton, Clarkson, Collins... find the best offers for them and ship them out.

Step 3. Draft. If you really love one of the prospects that would require trade up - trade up. It should be much cheaper to trade up in this draft than in most. (Lets say we trade up a few spots and get Castle - this is my preferred player, but I can buy in a few others and I'm not heavily invested in any of them) . If you love another player who drops in the 20s for some reason, use 29 and 32 to trade up for him(Lets say Zach Edey drops to 21-22 like he did in Vecenie's last mock)

Step 4. Find good, low price(!!!) reclamation projects that might be worth taking a shot on in FA/trade - How cheap would someone like Patrick Williams be?

Do not forget - the best asset you have is your pick in a really highly rated draft! Treat it like it! Do NOT get tempted by the promise of a few more wins. In 5 years nobody will care whether you went 20-62 or 32-50. Everybody will care about whether you have a franchise type player and the 2025 draft seems to be one of those drafts where there might be a few of those.

Projected depth chart for 2024-2025 season:

PG: Stephon Castle(cuz he wants to be a PG :D ), Scotty Pippen Jr(FA acquisition)
SG: Keyonte George, Naji Marshall(FA)
SF: Lauri Markkanen, Brice Sensabaugh, Aaron Wiggins(FA)
PF: Taylor Hendricks, Patrick Williams(via FA/trade), Darius Bazley
C: Zack Edey, Walker Kessler(in case Hardy really don't like him and he can't beat even Edey for the starting spot), Omer Yurtseven

Or...something of the sort. Go for top 5 pick(a lot of load management... a lot of being cautious with minor injuries). This is my plan to try to tank while keeping Lauri. You buy Lauri's patience with a new rich contract... and you hope the draft gods are with you next year.

Last edited:
Here's my off-season plan. I've always maintained that for a team like ours the best path to contention is via the draft and the best way to get a top tier talent in the draft is to tank. And every single player who is not in the long-term plans of the team should be available for a trade. Convert current value that won't be useful when the time comes to contend into future value that might be useful when we actually are fighting for something.

The hardest one to figure out in that frame IMO is Lauri. And he very well might be very useful piece of the next contending Jazz team. I really like Lauri and I think we struck gold with that trade. I think if we get one or two top tier offensive initiators Lauri would be one of the best complementary pieces offensively you can ask for in the league. So...

Step 1. Extend Lauri. Reasoning - I think he can be part of the next contending Jazz team.

Step 2. Trade away everyone who is not in the plans long-term. I do NOT care about whether we field a respectable roster next season... in fact... if we start a couple of rookies, that wouldn't be the worst thing. Sexton, Clarkson, Collins... find the best offers for them and ship them out.

Step 3. Draft. If you really love one of the prospects that would require trade up - trade up. It should be much cheaper to trade up in this draft than in most. (Lets say we trade up a few spots and get Castle - this is my preferred player, but I can buy in a few others and I'm not heavily invested in any of them) . If you love another player who drops in the 20s for some reason, use 29 and 32 to trade up for him(Lets say Zach Edey drops to 21-22 like he did in Vecenie's last mock)

Step 4. Find good, low price(!!!) reclamation projects that might be worth taking a shot on in FA/trade - How cheap would someone like Patrick Williams be?

Do not forget - the best asset you have is your pick in a really highly rated draft! Treat it like it! Do NOT get tempted by the promise of a few more wins. In 5 years nobody will care whether you went 20-62 or 32-50. Everybody will care about whether you have a franchise type player and the 2025 draft seems to be one of those drafts where there might be a few of those.

PG: Stephon Castle(cuz he wants to be a PG :D ), Scotty Pippen Jr(FA acquisition)
C: Zack Edey, Walker Kessler(in case Hardy really don't like him and he can't beat even Edey for the starting spot), Omer Yurtseven

Or...something of the sort. Go for top 5 pick(a lot of load management... a lot of being cautious with minor injuries). This is my plan to try to tank while keeping Lauri. You buy Lauri's patience with a new rich contract... and you hope the draft gods are with you next year.
Patrick Williams will not be cheap

And who will all these young players be learning from? The basketball savant Yurtseven? Nobody runs a team of young players without some quality vets because it is a recipe for a long-term disaster.

And who will all these young players be learning from? The basketball savant Yurtseven? Nobody runs a team of young players without some quality vets because it is a recipe for a long-term disaster.
I don't care. Add someone who is really old and has a LOT of experience. Preferably in his 40s... the more experienced the better. If Wade can bring back Udonis Haslem from retirement, we can sign him. PJ Tucker! Yes! Sign him! Maybe John Lucas III...

I don't care. Add someone who is really old and has a LOT of experience. Preferably in his 40s... the more experienced the better. If Wade can bring back Udonis Haslem from retirement, we can sign him. PJ Tucker! Yes! Sign him! Maybe John Lucas III...
We could also retain Dunn. I think I would be looking to clear a bunch of time for young players (the easiest way to lose a lot) and be looking to clear a bunch of cap space. That’s how I’d sell Lauri on a one year tank. With Lauri, the young guys, 2025 top pick, and a couple vet free agents to accelerate the process you might be on to something.

Have you ever played any competitive basketball in high school or college? Or any other team sport? Because if you did you would know first-hand how important the presence of more experienced players on the team and how much you can learn from them.

And remember, the NBA is much, much more demanding. The young NBA players, besides simply learning to play the game, have to also learn how to maintain their body year-round, how to live constantly on the road, how to deal with media and all the attention, how to work on your game in the off-season...

Have you ever played any competitive basketball in high school or college? Or any other team sport? Because if you did you would know first-hand how important the presence of more experienced players on the team and how much you can learn from them.

And remember, the NBA is much, much more demanding. The young NBA players, besides simply learning to play the game, have to also learn how to maintain their body year-round, how to live constantly on the road, how to deal with media and all the attention, how to work on your game in the off-season...
Exactly. Does it matter who it is if this is what his role will be? As long as he's willing to impart knowledge on the young guys, just sign whoever... I just don't want vets that will win us games we don't need to be winning next season, while also not being part of our long-term plans...

That's what coaches are for. A lot of the time with vets it turns toxic because they don't want to help the younger guys take their job.

The only one remotely close is the Houston one. Most were poopy trash.
Actually OKC trade proposal was also good.
And so what if Josh Giddey would be one piece in possible trade where Lauri goes to OKC.

If you think that sexual investigation where Giddey was involved it looks bad in PR perspective.
But if i'm not totally mistaken that investigation is dead and buried and Giddey is not guilty.

Jazz needs PG who can run offense, share the ball, make plays and score and Giddey does all those things so he's fit on Jazz roster.
Keep in mind keeping Lauri on the Jazz roster means that Jazz will still win too many games and it means worse draft lottery odds.

If Jazz really wants to have realistic chances to get draft Cooper Flagg and one of the Boozer twins that requires hard tanking and a lot losing.
When you're rebuilding rebuild right then and tank and lose a lot but don't flirt with play in round and get stuck on mediocrity because that's exactly what Jazz are doing now.

I think the Jazz are going to end up tanking next year to add a bonafide star prospect. We're all going to become hockey fans.

I think the Jazz are going to end up tanking next year to add a bonafide star prospect. We're all going to become hockey fans.

Idgaf about hockey, and I'm Finnish.

Also,I think the net sum of the contract is not selling point for Lauri that much... But he has to hear a real plan this summer. If he buys in this team can go post-season runs after the one tankier development season, he'll have no issue to resign. And let's be real Miro Little plays now for Utes, Utah got NHL team, and Lauri loves Hardy, and Lauri's family likes it in SLC . Only way he's out,is agodfather trade offer.

I don't know how to square that with Ainge's statement that he doesn't want to bring in a bunch of 20 year olds again to camp. This to me sounds like he wants us to try to be more competitive this year. It's going to be really interesting off-season.

I don't know how to square that with Ainge's statement that he doesn't want to bring in a bunch of 20 year olds again to camp. This to me sounds like he wants us to try to be more competitive this year. It's going to be really interesting off-season.
It’s easy… don’t trust what Ainge says in press conferences. I think he also said it like “it’s not plan A to have a bunch of 19 year olds.” Doesn’t mean it can’t happen.