What's new

On this day 20 years ago John Stockton passed Magic Johnson as assist leader.

The Blue Elephant

Great find. I remember watching this.

20 Years ago, ugh. Thanks for reminding me how old I am.

Wonder what Don Stockton was doing 20 years ago???

state-farm-don-stockton.jpg

U probably don't know but a catch and made shot counts as an assist weather it's a post entry pass or not.

As well it should. That is the point of an assist, that you got the other player the ball in a position to score with minimal actions from the scoring player. That means the assister did the bulk of the work, and the other player had to just focus on making the shot, as opposed to creating his own offense which is much less efficient.

Wonder what Don Stockton was doing 20 years ago???

state-farm-don-stockton.jpg

With a great 'stache like that he doesn't have to "do" anything, man.

U probably don't know but a catch and made shot counts as an assist weather it's a post entry pass or not.

Yep. The problem is the definition of assist is somewhat subjective, and is ultimately determined on a case by case basis by the game statisticians, which work for the home team. An assist can still happen after dribbles, pump-fakes, etc., as long as the pass "assisted" the making of the basket. Assists are the most subjective stat in the game. You can imagine how many get missed when Gobert doesn't even get credit for all of the shots he clearly blocks.

As well it should. That is the point of an assist, that you got the other player the ball in a position to score with minimal actions from the scoring player. That means the assister did the bulk of the work, and the other player had to just focus on making the shot, as opposed to creating his own offense which is much less efficient.

thank you captain and field marshall obvious.