What's new

OT: Giannis Staying in Milwaukee

Like that he's staying there.

And not that OT for us, Gobert is now the clear #2 in that FA class (Kawhi #1) if we don't get an extension done.
Who has cap though next off season that would be in the market for Rudy? Don't see the Mavs going after him. Heat have Bam. IDK who'd pay max max money for a Defensive minded Center.

Who has cap though next off season that would be in the market for Rudy? Don't see the Mavs going after him. Heat have Bam. IDK who'd pay max max money for a Defensive minded Center.

I think he'd be great in Dallas. Toronto will have money, I think Memphis could open it up if they wanted too, Atlanta if Capela isn't enough? Lots of bad teams will have the cap too if he doesn't prioritise winning.

this is good... NBA stars constantly lining up in glamour markets isn't super fun and obviously not ideal for a team like Utah.

This does give Rudy a little more leverage in his discussion. Toronto Dallas and bottom feeders would certainly offer max to a healthy Rudy. 4/151 is the max 4 year extension we can offer which is not different than 4/141 he can get in Dallas... going out to 5 years with a supermax and making it declining is the middle ground imo.

I think he'd be great in Dallas. Toronto will have money, I think Memphis could open it up if they wanted too, Atlanta if Capela isn't enough? Lots of bad teams will have the cap too if he doesn't prioritise winning.
Even if he does. Rudy would be ****ing incredible on the Raptors.

Even if he does. Rudy would be ****ing incredible on the Raptors.
I think the money and tax difference would start to get tangible if he went there... but agree overall. We should get something done. Even if it is a slight overpay it doesn't make sense to have this unsettled going into the season.

I think the money and tax difference would start to get tangible if he went there... but agree overall. We should get something done. Even if it is a slight overpay it doesn't make sense to have this unsettled going into the season.
There are some other potential draws to Toronto, too. For example, he’d be very marketable throughout French-speaking Canada; and it’d be much easier and faster to go back and forth to France.

this is good... NBA stars constantly lining up in glamour markets isn't super fun and obviously not ideal for a team like Utah.

This does give Rudy a little more leverage in his discussion. Toronto Dallas and bottom feeders would certainly offer max to a healthy Rudy. 4/151 is the max 4 year extension we can offer which is not different than 4/141 he can get in Dallas... going out to 5 years with a supermax and making it declining is the middle ground imo.

Supermax extension doesn't have to start at 35% either right? I think it just has to start at 30% or more if you want to do 5 years. If he starts at 30% and stays flat, that would be about 5/168 which is about where I pegged him. I think that's fair.

This Giannis thing gives Rudy two great options outside of Utah next summer. DAL and TOR. Both would be great fits and better basketball situations if we're being honest. Gotta hope Rudy takes the security of a 5th year...but there's a lot of options out there for him.

The covid situation with Rudy might turn into the horrid contract negotiation with Hayward. Things that didn't get a lot of attention at the time but can have lasting impacts. They hung him out to dry. I'm getting real nervous about this whole thing. TOR and DAL would look very enticing to me if I was Rudy.

Supermax extension doesn't have to start at 35% either right? I think it just has to start at 30% or more if you want to do 5 years. If he starts at 30% and stays flat, that would be about 5/168 which is about where I pegged him. I think that's fair.

This Giannis thing gives Rudy two great options outside of Utah next summer. DAL and TOR. Both would be great fits and better basketball situations if we're being honest. Gotta hope Rudy takes the security of a 5th year...but there's a lot of options out there for him.

The covid situation with Rudy might turn into the horrid contract negotiation with Hayward. Things that didn't get a lot of attention at the time but can have lasting impacts. They hung him out to dry. I'm getting real nervous about this whole thing. TOR and DAL would look very enticing to me if I was Rudy.
That seems right. I'd look seriously at 5/175ish and starting it high and declining it to make it more tradeable if need be.

That seems right. I'd look seriously at 5/175ish and starting it high and declining it to make it more tradeable if need be.

I'd be willing to go 5/190. These differences shouldn't get in the way of getting a deal done. Hell, I've even said that the supermax is a better fate than letting him go for nothing. But luckily that doesn't seem to be where the negotiation is.

I'd be willing to go 5/190. These differences shouldn't get in the way of getting a deal done. Hell, I've even said that the supermax is a better fate than letting him go for nothing. But luckily that doesn't seem to be where the negotiation is.
Even there you could go 175M and have 15M in incentives tied to games played to push it to $190M. I think that is more than fair... if he's hurt the contract sucks either way... at least it sucks just a little less.

I think having the salary declining makes it easier to trade him... not that you'd say that in a negotiation but that's the main reason I'd do it.

Even there you could go 175M and have 15M in incentives tied to games played to push it to $190M. I think that is more than fair... if he's hurt the contract sucks either way... at least it sucks just a little less.

I think having the salary declining makes it easier to trade him... not that you'd say that in a negotiation but that's the main reason I'd do it.

It's too bad Gobert and his agent have the Jazz over a barrel. They know how bad the Jazz need him, they know they have great (better?) options besides the Jazz in the future, they know that the franchise left him out in the cold during a difficult time, and they also know that the Jazz freaking stink at contract negotiations.

In the meantime Gobert is risking serious injury every minute he plays with only a one year guaranteed contract
Get your guaranteed money even if its a little less than your ego wants

5 years $190 is $38 million a year. He would turn 29 years old the first year of the extension.

29 - $38
30 - $38
31 - $38
32 - $38
33 - $38

That's stupid money for almost all players. Now imagine if it's an escalating deal that could pay him close to $50 when he is 33 years old.

If its a 5 year deal, I'm paying him an average of $30 a year. Year 5 could be a **** show. If its a 4 year deal, I could be convinced to do 4 years $130.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

It's too bad Gobert and his agent have the Jazz over a barrel. They know how bad the Jazz need him, they know they have great (better?) options besides the Jazz in the future, they know that the franchise left him out in the cold during a difficult time, and they also know that the Jazz freaking stink at contract negotiations.

In the meantime Gobert is risking serious injury every minute he plays with only a one year guaranteed contract
Get your guaranteed money even if its a little less than your ego wants
Both of these are true... Rudy does have leverage but if he sustains a major injury he could easily lose $100M plus or more. So he kinda has more to lose imo. I think they play chicken and eventually Rudy signs on the 20th. He could lock in more money than he can get by waiting and signing on the open market and he will still be in a great situation. The way to do this is to sign and then if you are unhappy you ask out.

He also may be irrational and think he won't get hurt or if he does he will still get paid.

It is unfair to negotiate an extension with your center coming off of two preseason games against Deandre Ayton.

5 years $190 is $38 million a year. He would turn 29 years old the first year of the extension.

29 - $38
30 - $38
31 - $38
32 - $38
33 - $38

That's stupid money for almost all players. Now imagine if it's an escalating deal that could pay him close to $50 when he is 33 years old.

If its a 5 year deal, I'm paying him an average of $30 a year. Year 5 could be a **** show. If its a 4 year deal, I could be convinced to do 4 years $130.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
He doesn't have to be worth 38M at 32 or 33... I'm more interested in the 2-3 year window we currently have and preserving that. If you can buy yourself a year or two beyond this one with an extension you can move him in the middle of the deal if Udoka is ready or if we are just not a contender. If he is good throughout the majority of the deal and we are WCF contenders/participants then overpaying for one year on the backend isn't the end of the world.

I'd start it high and do

39M
36M
33M
36M
39M

Have a 2M in bonuses per year tied to wins and WCF appearances. Gets him essentially to 175-190Mish and if you think you can pivot its easier to trade him at 33M than 38M+. Teams in the middle of a title hunt typically focus on short term and take on long term consequences that might not be ideal.

Some numbers to blow your mind:

- Averages to $45.6M per year
- Each game check would be $556,097
- Daily wage would be $124,931
- His hourly wage is $5,205
- Makes $41,643 just for going to sleep for a night

And here on JF, we are some brokeass bitches eating McChickens (but we're fancy and ask for a BBQ sauce to kick it up a notch)