What's new

OTA KJZZ DVR Setup

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t

Contributor
In case anyone wants to watch and record the games on KJZZ and isn't sure how to do it, here is what I'm doing. I don't have cable so the only way I can see KJZZ is to watch on an antenna. I also don't have a DVR.

I bought a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Duo Flex ($109) and a 1 TB USB drive (~$30, I probably could've been fine with less storage):
Amazon product ASIN B092KM482VView: https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Flex-ATSC-Tuners/dp/B092KM482V

I plugged it into my antenna and router. Then I added the HDHomeRun app (free) to my RokuTV and I found a similar app for my Mac laptop and iPhone. The app automatically found the Duo Flex. Then I could immediately start watching live antenna TV on all of those devices.

In order to schedule recordings of the games, I followed these instructions:

The subscription service is $35 annually.

So it all cost less than $200 and it was pretty easy to setup. It has the additional benefit that I can watch antenna TV on some of my other devices... which is kinda cool I guess LOL?

I saw a post from someone else about running a Plex server (in addition to the HDHomeRun), but it doesn't seem like that is necessary.

Last edited:
the entire season of Jazz+ was $125 with a lot less effort than that, so color me confused

That sounds like a great setup. I found another option that is working well. I bought a Tablo 4th Gen with a one time use 20% off coupon they emailed me for being a past customer, for about $80+ tax. I hooked up an ethernet cable and connected it to an antenna, downloaded their Roku app, and I'm getting crystal clear game recordings. There's no subscription either, so it's just a one time cost. And even without the 20% discount it's significantly cheaper than Jazz+ over time ($99.95 + tax). Here's a link to their website. They also sell them on Amazon.

Also get Vegas Knights, LA Kings, and AZ Coyote games on channel 16 if hockey is your thing. Nevermind the other zillion weird channels that come OTA these days.

I bought amazon fire tv recast (its basically a dvr with an antenna). No annual fee. Once you buy it you are done paying.

the entire season of Jazz+ was $125 with a lot less effort than that, so color me confused

In my case, I was kicking around the idea for quite awhile of a setup to get all this free TV onto my network. Free Jazz games on KJZZ finally motivated me to try it out. I may just get bored of it and get Jazz+ eventually, but for now I'm giving it a try.

Last edited:
I'm searching for this and not seeing it. Can you post a link?
I just read that it was discontinued in 2022. Might be able to buy a used one on ebay or something I guess. i like mine a lot.

Yeah, I'm using the Plex but the DVR capability is ... suspect. It records but seems like between the last preseason game and yesterday's game - I couldn't find how to join during the game. It was strange.

I'll look at the app setup and app you have @r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t , minus the Plex, but defaulted that direction as I already had a Lifetime sub to Plex and wanted to use my Mac Mini HD. Needless to say, disappointed.

All this said, @cooldude32 I think mentioned getting Jazz+ (have that too) but logging in through the NBA app with the same NBA ID credential gives you FULL DVR to join mid-game and rewind. It's perfect as of my test using only last night's game!

No ability to join, say, an hour in and catch up is all. Atleast not directly in the app for J+.

Last edited:
I noticed this week that FUBO added KJazz so if you are on FUBO then you can DVR games. If you don't want to connect a TV to a USB to a TIVO to a Typewriter with a VPN to be able to watch games, then FUBO is an easy option albiet it's not that much less than cable. I pay $70 or $80 per month.

Apparently the new kjazz thing is jacking it up for lots of people. My dad can't get it in his cable package, same with my BIL, and they can't get an antenna hooked up to get it. What a joke.

No ability to join, say, an hour in and catch up is all. Atleast not directly in the app for J+.
You can definitely do this. Did it last night, plus the Jazz+ subscription works on the nba app where you can get stats and such as part of the broadcast