What's new

Our 2023-24 offense and scoring

HermanG

Ok I'm still bored and anxious about this season so I will make another projection thread. I came to realize that my starting 5 PPG projections are likely overblown. Either that or then we are gonna have a historically good offense this year.

Let me break this down. First and foremost, I will try to lowball everyone and intentionally go below my own previous projections, just to highlight the issue better:

Lauri scores 25 PPG at 25% usage, so around the same as last year and 3 points less than he averaged in the 2nd half of the season.
Jordan scores 20 PPG on 24% usage, so a bit less than last year with a slightly lower usage.
John scores 17 PPG on 20% usage, which is a slight increase from last year but that was unusually low usage for him and he didnt hit his 3 ball.
Walker scores 13 PPG on 13% usage, which is pretty much his per 30 from last year.
Dunn scores 10 PPG on 18% usage. I only chose Dunn because he is the one that I would project to score the least.

That makes for a grand total of 85 points... with numbers that I would argue are closer to floor than ceiling. If we look at this historically, and see how many teams have broken 85 points average per game for the starting unit:
2022-23, 3 teams: Knicks, Blazers and Celtics
2021-22, 1 team: Bucks
2020-21, 1 team: Bucks (barely, and 2nd highest was Denver with 82.8)
2019-20, 3 teams: Rockets, Blazers and Celtics
2018-19, 3 teams: Warriors, Rockets and Bucks

Now keep in mind, those teams obviously did not have their best 5 healthy all year. So their numbers are a bit lower than what they could have been.

However when we factor in the scoring we can get from the bench it gets wild. We have (in this excercise) Sexton, THT, KO, Ochai, George, Hendricks, Brice, Fontecchio.... a lot of guys capable of scoring.

So question is, are those individual numbers wrong or are we gonna end up being one of the best teams offensively? If they are wrong, then where should I give in?

I think the better way to look at this would be total possessions, who is likely to take up those possessions, and how efficient they are with them.

I see Lauri averaging around 23 (-2.6) PPG with 3.5 (+1.6) APG this season. Same with Clarkson, few less points and slight increase in assists.

Lauri will average 28
Yeah this is along the lines I was thinking. He is clearly going into the year as the unchallenged #1 and earned 18+ FGA per game type of load.

I guess we wont force it to him but the offseason task for all our guards has obviously been to figure out how they can help to get Lauri and Walker going.

I think the better way to look at this would be total possessions, who is likely to take up those possessions, and how efficient they are with them.
Thats a good point. I did include usage projections and lowballed them to sum them up to 100% (which is low since they will have higher usage when playing with 2nd units).

I like 26.5 ppg for Lauri, with 9.5 rpg.
I like 13 ppg and 10.5 rpg for Walker, if our guards can get him the ball. He's going to get 30 minutes, imo.
I think Clarkson comes in just under 20 ppg (like 19.1 ppg). We don't have many shot creators, and he's going to let it fly.
Ochai should put up 11-12 ppg on 10 shots and a couple FTs, imo.
The big question for me is what Colin Sexton is going to do. John Collins is also going to want to assert himself.

Last edited:
I see 27 ppg for Lauri, with 9.5 rpg.
I think 12 ppg and 11 rpg for Walker, will depend how PG can use him.
I think Clarkson willl have a great year at 21 ppg He may shoot a lot for sure!
Sexton may have a 17 PPG, it he is more consistent.