What's new

Our chances of acquiring OJ Mayo just fell to zero

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
Lots of people have said they want him and he's available, but this is a hammer-lock that Utah won't attempt to acquire him:

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6065824

Memphis Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo has been suspended without pay for 10 games for violating the NBA's anti-drug policy, the league announced Thursday.

The league said Mayo tested positive for dehydroepiandrosterone, which is a steroid precursor known as DHEA.

His suspension will begin with Friday night's game between the Grizzlies and the Philadelphia 76ers.

Mayo said in a statement released by the team that he is extremely disappointed he will miss 10 games as the Grizzlies are making a push for the playoffs. He blames an over-the-counter supplement for containing a substance banned by the NBA and calls it an "honest mistake."

And yes Viny, this may belong in General NBA, but OJ Mayo has had several mentions in threads on the Jazz board over the last month so it's germane to an ongoing discussion here. Please consider before hitting the report button with a request to move.

Suspended without pay. Who gets the 400k in salary? Do the Grizzlies get to keep it? Will Greg Miller be offering AK chocolate flavored supplements after practise tomorrow?

I thought his chances of being acquired fell to zero after he stiffed Tony Allen on the gambling debt. Who the hell makes bets and doesn't pay up?

The league said Mayo tested positive for dehydroepiandrosterone, which is a steroid precursor known as DHEA.

LOL This is actually pretty lame. DHEA really does nothing for performance ehancement. It may help an athlete lower cortisone levels to avoid injury due to stress or supressed immune system but it doesn't make them faster or stronger. DHEA has also been used to treat depression. There is some evidence that it may help with sexual performance however.

In fact, I really wonder why it is a banned substance other than it has the word steroid associated with it??

And yes Viny, this may belong in General NBA, but OJ Mayo has had several mentions in threads on the Jazz board over the last month so it's germane to an ongoing discussion here. Please consider before hitting the report button with a request to move.

I appreciate the preemptive nature of this post Kick. Thank you. Doing good work here.

Just so you know, Kicky, since last night you were, at least temporarily, enamored about a possible Brandon Rush trade, Brandon Rush met with a suspension this summer over his violation of the same policy.

Inserting more info about Rush: same policy, different drug. Rush's vice was (?) marijuana.

Last edited:
Just so you know, Kicky, since last night you were, at least temporarily, enamored about a possible Brandon Rush trade, Brandon Rush met with a suspension this summer over his violation of the same policy.

Great info...

Lots of people have said they want him and he's available, but this is a hammer-lock that Utah won't attempt to acquire him:

https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6065824

Why is it that every time a pro athlete tests positive for steroids it's an over the counter suplement. I'm sure LOL!

Why is it that every time a pro athlete tests positive for steroids it's an over the counter suplement. I'm sure LOL!

Well, there are only two possible options. They're lying or telling the truth. There are a lot of things in medicines you can take that can be screened in a drug test and maligned because of what it COULD mean or COULD be used for.

I'm kind of partial to that he's telling the truth since most people that deliberately take banned substances go to great lengths to avoid getting busted. Including using synthetic or another person's urine (which would really not be that hard to do for any test I've heard of or taken personally). I don't know how the NBA tests, but I'm skeptical that of all the people in the NBA, OJ Mayo is one of the only ones doping considering he has never been considered strong or athletic.

But whatever. I just assume some people dope (Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Karl Malone) and some don't.

And for what it's worth, the Jazz acquired a DUI (or equivalent) offender this offseason. On the scale of ****** behavior, that blows having DHEA in your system out of the water.

Seriously I mean I know from personal experience that the right mix of mentos, wrigleys doublemint gum and beef jerkey shows up as coke and weed on a drug test.

Honest.

I'm guessing he won't be the first Jazz player to be enhancing his performance outside of the rules.

And for what it's worth, the Jazz acquired a DUI (or equivalent) offender this offseason. On the scale of ****** behavior, that blows having DHEA in your system out of the water.

I agree. However, for some idiots out there are DUI isn't seen as bad as smoking some weed or using some lame steroid. To me it's a ton worse when you are potentially putting others at risk, even though a minor DUI isn't the worst thing in the world to me.

I can only assume the suspensions of KOC and Greggy will be coming soon enough because they had to be on ****ing drugs to sign Bell this summer.

So why would we have considered him in the first place, considering he couldn't get off the bench in what, Memphis? Yikes.

You all said the same things about Beasley (yes, I was watching) and I KNEW he'd end up being a star once he got out of Miami into a better system that complemented his playing ability. The fact is he (Mayo) can flat-out shoot if he has his head on right. He's young and, oh yeah, playing in MEMPHIS, the absolute worst city for crime. He'd be alright in Utah. It's just too bad the FO doesn't take risks with this franchise. That's the beauty of life, you can (and should) take risks. You won't win 'em all, but they're worth taking. Hell, it gives us Utah fans something to talk about for once.