What's new

Out of the 4 youth core, which is the most likely to leave for more money?

Out of the 4 youth core, which is the most likely to leave for more money?

• Hayward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Burks

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • Kanter

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Favors

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters

COJazz44

Which player do you think wouldn't want to sacrifice a few million dollars (like Harden in OKC) to stay with the Jazz?

Westbrook and Ibaka took smaller contracts to remain on the Thunder.

*fixed

Last edited:
Favors because I think the Jazz might be hesitant to give him a max contract if his offensive game doesn't improve, but some other team will offer it.

In order;

Burks
Favors
Kanter
Hayward

(wow, just noticed that looked racist .. not intentional.)

Which player do you think would pull a Harden and leave if they could get more money from another team?

Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka all took a smaller contract to remain on the Thunder.

Durant took a max contract. He made zero financial sacrifices. The only concession he made was not having a player option at any point in the extension. You are correct about Westbrook and Ibaka leaving money on the table.

Which player do you think would pull a Harden and leave if they could get more money from another team?
Harden didn't leave, he was traded. OKC could offer him more money than any other team, just as the Jazz will be able to offer more money than any other team OR match any offer sheet signed for any other team.

I think we will pay Favors and Kanter becasue size is a great advantage in the NBA. That being said, Burks would be the last guy we'd extend, and at that point we might not be able to pay him if his market value is high. It's sad to say because the Jazz never have SG's that can create their own shot, but maybe such a player is overrated in some ways when you look at the fact that the Jazz never really have had a isolation Perimiter player but are still a top 10 offensive team almost every year. Running things through the block is just much better of an idea when you are tyring to be efficient. Also, can you imagine if Favors and Kanter both become as good as we think they can be? That would be a super solid front court that can defend. We know Favors is good defensively and i think Kanter will be good too. He battles and that is what you need. much more willing and able than Boozer ever was as a defensive player. I Imagine he could be Malone-esk defensively.... so essentially, D-12 and Karl Malone would be a nice defensive presence... of course, that is best case senerio and not a reality yet. but based on potential and what would be better for the team, the Jazz would pay Kanter and Favors before they'd pay Burks.

I don't see Favors or Hayward leaving for more money. The Jazz aren't in a position where they already are paying max contracts to two players. So, they will be able to sign Favors and Hayward to large (max or near-max) extensions or match a big offer sheet either receives if it gets to that point. But then when it comes time to talk about extensions for Kanter and Burks, things get a little sticky. Based on what we've seen from Burks and Kanter through this preseason and the fact that Kanter is a big, I see Kanter as being more likely to leave over financial reasons. It could be Burks, but I suspect Kanter would be offered more money by other teams trying to lure him away as a RFA.

Harden didn't leave, he was traded. OKC could offer him more money than any other team, just as the Jazz will be able to offer more money than any other team OR match any offer sheet signed for any other team.

He wanted a max contract. He made that clear by not accepting an extension that would allow him to stay on a contending team for million less each year.

I just didn't word my OP correctly. Haha.

He wanted a max contract. He made that clear by not accepting an extension that would allow him to stay on a contending team for million less each year.

It wasn't just the per-year number, he also really wanted a fifth year on the contract which was impossible for OKC to offer.

There's a good possibility either Kanter or Favors gets signed and traded for a player like James Harden.

Just to clarify, I think all 4 would leave for more money. It's not who would leave, but rather who the Jazz would actually pay.

Burks. The others just strike me as more the loyal/hard hat type. Burks is a nice kid though, and I think he's going to be really good. I hope they all really want to see what they can do as a unit as they progress together, instead of searching out big bucks or big markets on their own. They could all have a great thing here if they stick around. I would think they can see that.

Editing to add that I almost said Kanter. He would be the other likely one to go I think.

And I find it interesting nobody (yet) has said Hayward. The kid's attitude and demeanor reminds me so much of Stockton. I think he stays a while.

If all four of these guys reach their full potential then we will be in a pickle but say one or two of these guys don't end up as good as we all hope then we could still retain them. But we still have a couple more years to figure out who is the most valuable to our team going forward. Until that team lets see what our core 4 is made of.