What's new

Paschall traded to the Jazz

I feel like the entire roster has value for trades if we choose to do that. That's pretty powerful all by itself.

I wish our stars had better players as friends than Raul Neto, Royce O'Neale and Eric Paschall.
You’re looking at it the wrong way. We need to be going out signing minimum guys who are friends with superstars on other teams. We could induce league-wide panic for the oneyes of every other franchise.

The more I think about EP, the more I'm hopeful he can turn into a nice player like Niang did. Playing the 5 for us might be the perfect offensive situation for him, just like we had the perfect offensive situation for Niang to succeed. The big development will have to come on the defensive end. Paschall needs to make the same massive improvement Niang did to stay in the rotation.

The more I think about EP, the more I'm hopeful he can turn into a nice player like Niang did. Playing the 5 for us might be the perfect offensive situation for him, just like we had the perfect offensive situation for Niang to succeed. The big development will have to come on the defensive end. Paschall needs to make the same massive improvement Niang did to stay in the rotation.
I think Alex Jensen has to be one of the best Big Man coaches in the league. If Paschall is coachable, he should improve here.

I think Alex Jensen has to be one of the best Big Man coaches in the league. If Paschall is coachable, he should improve here.

What gives me pause on Paschall is that GSW was already a great situation for him. He needs to optimize his game and get better defensively but he wasn't able to do so.

I'm guessing the Warriors didn't see him playing serious minutes this year, and trading him saves some $$.
Tough to go from all rookie team to bench warmer. It was win win where I'm sure Paschell is thrilled

I love this move. It's interesting after the move yesterday, but yes, I love this move. Completely.

These are the type deals we should have been pursuing for years. I love it.

I think DL was too tied to the player development model. Which is great if you are rebuilding, but if you are not, how do you get minutes to develop players? So you wind up with Dante parked in the corner waiting to an open 3. Teams competing for a title should have proven vets on their depth chart. Our drop from 8 to 9 was a cliff last year.

What gives me pause on Paschall is that GSW was already a great situation for him. He needs to optimize his game and get better defensively but he wasn't able to do so.
From what I can tell from reading what GSW fans are saying, it seems that the problem was the roster itself, in that Paschall’s skill set didn’t mesh at all. Like he couldn’t be played with Draymond, for instance. He is limited defensively and on the boards, but his main strengths just didn’t fit there. It’s entirely possible, if not likely, that Utah will be a better situation for him.

I have seen him play literally zero minutes so I can’t be sure

From what I can tell from reading what GSW fans are saying, it seems that the problem was the roster itself, in that Paschall’s skill set didn’t mesh at all. Like he couldn’t be played with Draymond, for instance. He is limited defensively and on the boards, but his main strengths just didn’t fit there. It’s entirely possible, if not likely, that Utah will be a better situation for him.

I have seen him play literally zero minutes so I can’t be sure

I think Paschall is going to have to change his game to fit. A lot of the reasons why he didn't fit in GSW will also be problematic here, potentially worse. I don't think he works well with Rudy, for example, and his Iso mid range/bully ball game is not going to mesh with our free flowing offense.

Ideally I think he should be used like Harrell with a spaced floor. He can really beast inside and take advantage of small gaps in the defense. I don't think he's going to mesh well when he's not the sole big. If we're running a PnR with Gobert, you really just want to surround that with shooters and guys who can make smart decisions vs a rotating defense. Paschall is not good at that. He's a bad 3 point shooter and ball stopper. That's why he didn't work out with GSW who also want to run a free flowing, read and react offense.

With all that said, his offense isn't going to matter unless he puts in the work and effort to improve on defense.

Feels like we didn't do anything to address the elephant in the room - perimeter defense.

IDK - just seems like once we get to the 2nd round of the playoffs we'll run into the same issues of adapting to small ball because of our lack of athleticism on the perimeter (sans Donny)

I think DL was too tied to the player development model. Which is great if you are rebuilding, but if you are not, how do you get minutes to develop players? So you wind up with Dante parked in the corner waiting to an open 3. Teams competing for a title should have proven vets on their depth chart. Our drop from 8 to 9 was a cliff last year.
I agree that most teams who are competing are playing vets but I don't agree that we were avoiding it. We had vets that didn't work out like Ed Davis, Jeff Green, Shaq Harrison, and even signing Ersan. I think we tried both vets and development but I give credit to the fact that our development logic created players like Royce and Joe. DL was heavily influenced by what San Antonio did by developing talent that fit in well with their stars.

Feels like we didn't do anything to address the elephant in the room - perimeter defense.

IDK - just seems like once we get to the 2nd round of the playoffs we'll run into the same issues of adapting to small ball because of our lack of athleticism on the perimeter (sans Donny)
Easier to get another rim protector then get players who can defend on the wing AND shoot the 3 well. Those who can do both are hard to get and real expensive. I think in part it is why the Jazz have adopted the model they have.

I think Paschall is going to have to change his game to fit. A lot of the reasons why he didn't fit in GSW will also be problematic here, potentially worse. I don't think he works well with Rudy, for example, and his Iso mid range/bully ball game is not going to mesh with our free flowing offense.

Ideally I think he should be used like Harrell with a spaced floor. He can really beast inside and take advantage of small gaps in the defense. I don't think he's going to mesh well when he's not the sole big. If we're running a PnR with Gobert, you really just want to surround that with shooters and guys who can make smart decisions vs a rotating defense. Paschall is not good at that. He's a bad 3 point shooter and ball stopper. That's why he didn't work out with GSW who also want to run a free flowing, read and react offense.

With all that said, his offense isn't going to matter unless he puts in the work and effort to improve on defense.
No argument from me. I’ve been a little curious as to why they went after him besides his connection to Mitchell. That’s not to say that he’s not talented, and not that I don’t think he’ll contribute in a good way, like a few minutes as a small ball 5. I’m just not sure he’s what they need right now.

Im still stoked about it, seems like a great move, I just don’t think he necessarily remedies the big problems they had last year.

No argument from me. I’ve been a little curious as to why they went after him besides his connection to Mitchell. That’s not to say that he’s not talented, and not that I don’t think he’ll contribute in a good way, like a few minutes as a small ball 5. I’m just not sure he’s what they need right now.

Im still stoked about it, seems like a great move, I just don’t think he necessarily remedies the big problems they had last year.

This move did cost next to nothing, so that was probably a big motivator here. I think all 3 new acquistions (Gay, Whiteside, Paschall) were all good values in a vacuum. But I do tend to agree that we didn't address our needs at all. I think the excitement about getting these players at decent value has made us overlook that. When we look at our perimeter defense, the only thing we changed is that the two young players we thought could help (Oni and Brantley) might not be on the team next year.

All three players are plus usage guys which is a skillset we didn't need. All three will have to change and optimize their games or else they will just end up sandbagging the offense. I'm hoping that all this added scoring opens up the possibility of trading one of the main rotation guys (Bogey/Clarkson make the most sense to me) for someone that actually addresses some our major problems. To see significant change it has to come at the top of the roster anyways. Oni/Brantley breaking into the rotation wasn't going to change our outlook.

This move did cost next to nothing, so that was probably a big motivator here. I think all 3 new acquistions (Gay, Whiteside, Paschall) were all good values in a vacuum. But I do tend to agree that we didn't address our needs at all. I think the excitement about getting these players at decent value has made us overlook that. When we look at our perimeter defense, the only thing we changed is that the two young players we thought could help (Oni and Brantley) might not be on the team next year.

All three players are plus usage guys which is a skillset we didn't need. All three will have to change and optimize their games or else they will just end up sandbagging the offense. I'm hoping that all this added scoring opens up the possibility of trading one of the main rotation guys (Bogey/Clarkson make the most sense to me) for someone that actually addresses some our major problems. To see significant change it has to come at the top of the roster anyways. Oni/Brantley breaking into the rotation wasn't going to change our outlook.
I wouldn’t say address our needs *at all,* but I’d hoped to see more done on perimeter defense. Easier said than done though. I’m pretty sure Oni’s option was picked up, I’m not bullish on him or Brantley but I think we’ll find out if they can hack it. My guess isn’t they didn’t see an opportunity to address it in a feasible, non overpaying way. I’m okay with that.

you’re right, real change is going to take trading bogie, Ingles, or JC. I’m still fully in the camp that Bogie should go and the other two shouldn’t, your mileage may vary. My guess is that they’ll see how the team stacks up until the trade deadline, and see if the moves they made allow them to or if they even need to.

I think the goal was to address the needs they could without giving up too many resources. Basically, doing what you can without overpaying-not doing any more DL overpays/dumb moves. I think they accomplished that. They didn’t trade anyone just to trade them, or for anything that wasn’t an obvious win. None of the moves were made in desperation, which given the circumstances of the title contention window could have been a real risk. None of the moves were real head scratchers to me, like signing Ed Davis or drafting Udoka were.

There were no home runs, but every single move was at least a single or double. I’m totally on board with it. I’m guessing they’re waiting to take a swing for the fences at the right time.

This video, Locked on Warriors the reporter starts talking about Paschall at 12:28 mark. Talks about the great rookie season he had. Said it seemed like they were always talking to him after games after all the injuries and he said it felt like he was kinda the face of the franchise. Then he talks about Paschall getting off to a good start in year two, he was playing center, and with his 6-6 body, his body started breaking down he was getting hurt and began to struggle.

interesting stuff. I don’t think he’s as good as he was as a rookie, but better than he was his second season. Watch the vid, decide for yourself.

I really hope we didnt sign him because he and DM are good friends. It seems to me he had the potential of adding some bench depth that we have been lacking with players like Ed Davis, Jeff Green, and Shaq Harrison that didnt work out. IF it is about friendship with Donny that has all kind of ways of going wrong.

I really hope we didnt sign him because he and DM are good friends. It seems to me he had the potential of adding some bench depth that we have been lacking with players like Ed Davis, Jeff Green, and Shaq Harrison that didnt work out. IF it is about friendship with Donny that has all kind of ways of going wrong.
When Royce came around, I think his friendship with Don was one of the main reasons he was given a better chance than some of the other fringe guys at that time. The connection and support of Donovan was kind of a springboard for Royce to develop into the player he is today. I'm not giving Don all the credit by any means because Royce worked his butt off, but the foundation with Don helped.

If Paschall has that same confidence put in him, he might become the stretch PF/C we need in our rotation. When a player is supported and is happy, good things can happen.