What's new

PC Gamers Unite!

Also that kind of note-taking is how I learned English. I played Civ 3 and Diablo 2 with a dictionary in my hand.
Playing Civilization games is how I learned world geography. I would almost always play on an earth map with historical starting locations.

Quick update.

I wanted to upgrade to a Ryzen 5900x but wasn't able to get one. I was able to get a 5600x on launch day. Going from a 3600xt to the 5600x made way more of an impact than I would have expected. I have PC Mark and 3D Mark scores from 3600xt/GTX 1070 to 3600xt/RTX 3080, then 5600x/RTX 3080. Pretty significant uplift each time (biggest going from the 1070 to 3080).

So now my system is:
Ryzen 5600x CPU
Nvidia RTX 3080 graphics card (Gigabyte gaming OC)
32gb (4x8gb) 3600mhz CL14 RAM (Trident Z Neo)
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
1TB Samsung Evo 960 NVME M.2 SSD
1TB Intel 660P NVME M.2 SSD
Samsung Odyssey G7 32" Monitor (1440p, 240hz, 1ms GTG, HDR, 1000R Curved)

Really really happy with it. Not worried about getting a 5900x anytime soon, but if I can I'd like to and I'll move my 5600x to my VR PC that also has an X570 motherboard, currently running the 3600xt I took out of my system.

On Black Friday I bought stuff to do a custom hard line open loop cooling system. Today I got everything I ordered and realized I'd need a few more fittings (semi expected), but I got a good start on layout and depending on when the additional fittings arrive I should be able to finish up on my next free day after I get the stuff.

I went with Corsair Hydro X stuff. I used their configurator but cancelled out all the RGB fans and the radiator they suggested. I bought an EKWB 560mm (quad 140mm fan) radiator because my case can fit it and I have a bunch of Corsair 140mm fans already. I also bought some additional fittings that were not part of their configurator, like a ball valve, a Y fitting and male-to-male connectors so that I can add a drain line.

I'm only cooling my CPU now, and I get that my CPU doesn't need an entire open loop system to keep it cool. I can't find a good water block for my particular RTX 3080 at the moment, but when I do it will be added to the system. The 560mm rad is a "because I can" type of thing.

After I got all the stuff and started unpacking it the thing I realized is that the 10mm silicone insert that is used to put inside the hard tubing while bending was only ~12" long. I have a massive big computer case (Thermaltake Tower 900) and I was planning on making bends in the middle of tubing runs longer than 12" from either end. I don't know that there is a reliable way to place and then later eject that insert where I was going to need it, so I ordered some 90deg fittings. I'll still be doing some tube bending (It wouldn't be a legit hardline cooling loop experience without at least a few I figure) but MUCH more of the install will be just straight tubing to a 90 then more straight tubing.

Anyway, I'm excited. I'll post pics when it's done.

Quick update.

I wanted to upgrade to a Ryzen 5900x but wasn't able to get one. I was able to get a 5600x on launch day. Going from a 3600xt to the 5600x made way more of an impact than I would have expected. I have PC Mark and 3D Mark scores from 3600xt/GTX 1070 to 3600xt/RTX 3080, then 5600x/RTX 3080. Pretty significant uplift each time (biggest going from the 1070 to 3080).

So now my system is:
Ryzen 5600x CPU
Nvidia RTX 3080 graphics card (Gigabyte gaming OC)
32gb (4x8gb) 3600mhz CL14 RAM (Trident Z Neo)
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
1TB Samsung Evo 960 NVME M.2 SSD
1TB Intel 660P NVME M.2 SSD
Samsung Odyssey G7 32" Monitor (1440p, 240hz, 1ms GTG, HDR, 1000R Curved)

Really really happy with it. Not worried about getting a 5900x anytime soon, but if I can I'd like to and I'll move my 5600x to my VR PC that also has an X570 motherboard, currently running the 3600xt I took out of my system.
beastly system im actually gonna put something similar together soonish.

So I'm close to done with my current upgrades.

Here's my new GPU waterblock Installed on my Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC graphics card.
X8Jo9gS.jpg

I painted the backplate to better match the rest of my build
d5XsIe3.jpg

Here it is installed
5PLi4DT.jpg

731AHXo.jpg

GSAWz25.jpg

Here's a bit of an overall view. A few more things are on the way but this is mostly a finished product.
ZBsYFgM.jpg

So I'm close to done with my current upgrades.

Here's my new GPU waterblock Installed on my Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC graphics card.
X8Jo9gS.jpg

I painted the backplate to better match the rest of my build
d5XsIe3.jpg

Here it is installed
5PLi4DT.jpg

731AHXo.jpg

GSAWz25.jpg

Here's a bit of an overall view. A few more things are on the way but this is mostly a finished product.
ZBsYFgM.jpg
How much did you drop on that?

don't know how this shares, but this is my latest 3DMark score. It's not bad.

I'm + 162MHz on the core clock and + 1100MHz on the memory on a Gigabyte RTX 3080 gaming OC card. I'm on a custom water cooling loop with a 560mm radiator. I can't really get my graphics card hotter than 52c no matter what I do.

When I run these with the hope of beating my best score I open the window to my computer room and let it get cold. My coolant temp was 18c when I started this run.

Last edited:
I just "won" the newegg shuffle for a Ryzen 9 5900X!

When I say "won" I mean I got the opportunity to buy the CPU. You have to catch it at some random window for entry then they let you know later that day if you were selected and then you have to complete the purchase within a few hours.

Anyway, so I think I'll be selling my 5600X.

I'm renaming my PC "The Unicorn" because it's full of parts that supposedly don't exist.

Last edited:
Must have been a HUGE Ryzen drop today. The 5800X is just sitting there In Stock at Newegg, BestBuy, B&H and Walmart. Like just sitting there, available for purchase, at MSRP no less. The 5600X and 5900X are out of stock but I bet that will change pretty soon. There is light at the end of the CPU tunnel. Now just need to get some GPUs in stock.

So I have 3 gaming PCs in my house. Tonight I set them all up for Ethereum mining to check it out. Early data says I can make ~$185 in Ethereum/month. I think it will come up a little, not massively, but maybe over $200. That would be based on 24/7 running for mining. I'm not going to be doing that. I'm running one GTX 1070, one RTX 2070 Super, one RTX 3080.

What it does make me think about is building a dedicated system for that purpose.

Okay, so here's my new hash rate and earnings since about 30min ago

IPZ8zat.png

I'm now very seriously thinking of building a dedicated mining rig.