What's new

PC Gamers Unite!

Okay, so here's my new hash rate and earnings since about 30min ago

IPZ8zat.png

I'm now very seriously thinking of building a dedicated mining rig.
Did you take increase in electric bill into account? When I set up a similar one it was barely enough to offset electricity. I did some Ethereum mining early on and gained a few coins actually, but I stopped a while ago as it reached a point where I wasn't making enough with the expense to justify it anymore. I probably just need a newer and more efficient rig, but you need to take that into account.

Did you take increase in electric bill into account? When I set up a similar one it was barely enough to offset electricity. I did some Ethereum mining early on and gained a few coins actually, but I stopped a while ago as it reached a point where I wasn't making enough with the expense to justify it anymore. I probably just need a newer and more efficient rig, but you need to take that into account.
I haven't yet, but will do so.

So I used a few calculators and also played around with my GPU power limits. At 100% power my 3080 can do ~101 MH/s at 350W and runs at about 50C (on water cooling), at 60% power limit it does 98 MH/s at 218W and runs at 37C. Using the calculator if I was to run this 24/7 I'd make just over $200/month after cost of electricity. I should be able to average running just this system 16hrs/day easy. My VR PC, with the 2070 Super at stock settings can make $70/month after electricity costs. I should be able to run that one close to 24hrs a day. It gets used but at best only a few hours a day. I'll have to play with the power settings and mem overclock to see how good I can get it.

What I'm seriously considering is building a dedicated rig with 6 RTX 3060 Ti cards. MSRP for them is ~$400 for a basic model, they can be had on ebay for $700 each. Using some numbers I got on the interwebs each one runs about 60 MH/s at 120W to 150W. That 6 card unit could make about $750/month after electricity costs and essentially pay for itself after 6 months. I'd HIGHLY prefer the 3060 Ti because of the potential resale-ability should Ethereum tank. Obviously these numbers are based on Ethereum's today, which is $1514, down from a high of about $2000 just last week. So it's a volatile market.

Very seriously considering doing this.

Fascinating.
Anybody else doing any mining besides Gameface?
I've thought about it but wasn't sure if I should.
Maybe we get a JF mining cabal together. :)

Fascinating.
Anybody else doing any mining besides Gameface?
I've thought about it but wasn't sure if I should.
Maybe we get a JF mining cabal together. :)
I'd actually be interested in talking about something like that.

I'd actually be interested in talking about something like that.
I would be interested as well. I just recently read an article that I cant find though. It said something about Ethereum mining becoming non existent soon due to a change in it. I need to try and find that article now. It convinced me not to bother but if I can do it I would like to. Electricity costs in China are next to nothing. I can also upgrade my computer for super cheap and if its actually making money buy another one or two computers.

I would be interested as well. I just recently read an article that I cant find though. It said something about Ethereum mining becoming non existent soon due to a change in it. I need to try and find that article now. It convinced me not to bother but if I can do it I would like to. Electricity costs in China are next to nothing. I can also upgrade my computer for super cheap and if its actually making money buy another one or two computers.
So Ethereum is going to change... eventually. It is more than a year out and I imagine there will be an announcement well before it actually happens. But the change does not necessarily mean that it would no longer be profitable to mine Ethereum. What it does mean is that it would change who can mine and under what terms.

Currently there is a proof of work system where all you have to do is compute stuff and prove that you've found the correct solution. It's very open and very easy to enter.

Ethereum will be moving to a proof of stake system at some point. In order to participate in "mining" once they do that you will have to have a "proof of stake" which will be a certain amount of the currency, which will likely have to be more or less frozen for you to maintain a proof of stake status. But what that means is that if you do have a proof of stake then you are now part of a smaller group who has special rights to mine the currency.

It'd be fun to be in that group, right?

So Ethereum is going to change... eventually. It is more than a year out and I imagine there will be an announcement well before it actually happens. But the change does not necessarily mean that it would no longer be profitable to mine Ethereum. What it does mean is that it would change who can mine and under what terms.

Currently there is a proof of work system where all you have to do is compute stuff and prove that you've found the correct solution. It's very open and very easy to enter.

Ethereum will be moving to a proof of stake system at some point. In order to participate in "mining" once they do that you will have to have a "proof of stake" which will be a certain amount of the currency, which will likely have to be more or less frozen for you to maintain a proof of stake status. But what that means is that if you do have a proof of stake then you are now part of a smaller group who has special rights to mine the currency.

Full disclosure, the above post is based on mining based youtube videos that I've been binge watching over the last couple days.

Okay, I'm in! Group mining seems to be the way to go. Maybe I'll talk a friend into digging out my gaming computer in the usa and running it. It's 5 years old but was pretty good then.

Okay, I'm in! Group mining seems to be the way to go. Maybe I'll talk a friend into digging out my gaming computer in the usa and running it. It's 5 years old but was pretty good then.
Biggest thing to keep in mind is that the GPU has to have at least 4GB of VRAM.

The newegg shuffle is up right now!

They have Rtx 3060s, 3060 TIs and 3070s

Must have been a HUGE Ryzen drop today. The 5800X is just sitting there In Stock at Newegg, BestBuy, B&H and Walmart. Like just sitting there, available for purchase, at MSRP no less. The 5600X and 5900X are out of stock but I bet that will change pretty soon. There is light at the end of the CPU tunnel. Now just need to get some GPUs in stock.
5600X now in stock at MSRP at a few places. I think the CPU shortage is basically over. 5900X and 5950X still a bit hard to find but give a week and I bet they'll be relatively easy to find.

I got my first deposit from the mining pool! It was for 0.0504437 ETH, which I'm now referring to as more or less a nickel of ETH (0.05) valued at, as of the writing of this post, $88.07 USD.

The pool has some deposit rules. First is one that is user optional. You can pick the min value that will be automatically deposited to you wallet. It ranges from 10 ETH ($17460.00) to 0.1 ETH ($174.60). The pool will only make one deposit per 24hr period. The second is that anything over 0.05, what I'm calling a nickel and the amount it looks like I'll get most often with my current setup, will be deposited once per week. The third rule is that if you do not get to 0.05 you will have whatever amount you have accumulated deposited to your wallet once every two weeks.

The money has gone to my wallet and been verified. I could convert it into USD and withdraw it to my bank account, but for now I'm leaving it there. I think ETH is going to bounce. For the most part I don't want to speculate and just pull what I have into USD, but I think ETH has a pretty strong bounce going on based on their EIP 1559 announcement, which is bad for miners but really good for investors, traders and users. I figure that's good for a nice bounce in value. I'll pull once that effect has played out.

I got my first deposit from the mining pool! It was for 0.0504437 ETH, which I'm now referring to as more or less a nickel of ETH (0.05) valued at, as of the writing of this post, $88.07 USD.

The pool has some deposit rules. First is one that is user optional. You can pick the min value that will be automatically deposited to you wallet. It ranges from 10 ETH ($17460.00) to 0.1 ETH ($174.60). The pool will only make one deposit per 24hr period. The second is that anything over 0.05, what I'm calling a nickel and the amount it looks like I'll get most often with my current setup, will be deposited once per week. The third rule is that if you do not get to 0.05 you will have whatever amount you have accumulated deposited to your wallet once every two weeks.

The money has gone to my wallet and been verified. I could convert it into USD and withdraw it to my bank account, but for now I'm leaving it there. I think ETH is going to bounce. For the most part I don't want to speculate and just pull what I have into USD, but I think ETH has a pretty strong bounce going on based on their EIP 1559 announcement, which is bad for miners but really good for investors, traders and users. I figure that's good for a nice bounce in value. I'll pull once that effect has played out.
Which pool are you in?

I've been talking a bunch about mining but I also switched from a Ryzen 5 5600X to a Ryzen 9 5900X a week ago. Since swapping, with no changes to RAM or storage or GPU I started to get micro stuttering. At times it was either not happening or not noticeable, but at other times it was horrible. I haven't had any USB connectivity issues, but it seems the fix is the same. Disable gen 4 PCIe and/or force PCIe gen 3. In my case, on an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard I had to select Gen 3 for all my PCIe slots and M.2 NVMe slots. There was no universal setting I could find to use gen 3 vs gen 4. So far it seems to have fixed the micro stutter.

I've been talking a bunch about mining but I also switched from a Ryzen 5 5600X to a Ryzen 9 5900X a week ago. Since swapping, with no changes to RAM or storage or GPU I started to get micro stuttering. At times it was either not happening or not noticeable, but at other times it was horrible. I haven't had any USB connectivity issues, but it seems the fix is the same. Disable gen 4 PCIe and/or force PCIe gen 3. In my case, on an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard I had to select Gen 3 for all my PCIe slots and M.2 NVMe slots. There was no universal setting I could find to use gen 3 vs gen 4. So far it seems to have fixed the micro stutter.
You are not the first person I have heard this from. My son in law is a semi-pro gamer (Starcraft mostly) and he has maybe 6 or 8 gaming rigs. He mentioned he was having some issues with the latest gen Ryzens recently as well.

BTW, he mines ETH and BTC, as he has over a dozen GPUs in operation. He finally stacked 4 in one machine and let it run ETH exclusively. He has accumulated I think it is 4 total full coin from ETH. He gifted me and my wife one for our anniversary this year (29 years) and he promised us a bitcoin next year for our 30th. I will happily take it! I currently have a couple BTC and ETH in my wallet. I mined ETH and BTC both in the earlier days and dropped out due to moving around so much. I am considering getting back into it. Might hit up my SIL to see if he can front me a few GPUs. lol

Which mining software are you using? Are all of them command-line program?
I'm using phoenix miner 5.5c. It's in a command line window but I'm launching it from a windows shortcut and once it's running I don't have to interact with the window.