What's new

Penciling in our Depth Chart

PG - Burke, Exum, Neto
SG - Burks, Neto
SF - Hayward, Hood
PF - Kanter, Evans
C - Favors, Tomic, Gobert

Holy **** we are young.

True but we are deep and talented. I don't think Tomic is coming over besides I want to see how much Rudy has improved. The best thing about drafting Exum, there is no reason to keep Lucas III.

Possible rotation minutes:

PG: Burke (33); Exum (15); Neto (as needed)
SG; Burks (33); Exum (15);
SF: Hayward (34); Hood (14)
C: Favors (28); Gobert (20)
PF: Kanter (30); Favors (5); Evans (13)

Marvin really doesn't fit unless Hood goes to Idaho. If Tomic comes over, Evans sits and Gobert, Favors and Kanter give up a few minutes each.

I see this team winning 40 games next year.

PG - Burke, Exum, Neto
SG - Burks, Exum, Hayward
SF - Hayward, Hood, Evans
PF - Kanter, Williams, M Thomas, E Murphy
C - Favors, Tomic, Gobert.

Still room for 1 to 3 rental players for picks. None of back up power forwards are sure to be back or resigned all depends on what assets we can pick up

Am I miscounting here, as I count 14 players. No Williams back would be 13.

With Phoenix drafting a couple of back court players and presumably entertaining the idea of trading Bledsoe, why not offer Hayward for him? Hornacek loves Hayward and we could let Bledsoe, Burke and Exum fight it out for the starting spots. Burks would be the odd man out though, atleast if we don`t decide to trade Burke.

Another opportunity could be to trade Hayward to the Lakers for Nash and Randle.

PG - Exum, Burke
SG - Burks, (Exum)
SF - Hayward, Hood
PF - Kanter, Evans
C - Favors, Gobert
B - Clark/Thomas/Murphy/Whoever
? - Tomic, Neto, Williams, Free agent(s)

Easy to imagine Tomic coming and Kanter leaving.

No idea what the chart will look like since we have a new coach and hopefully a new system. Do we go small ball? Grind on you with bigs? Pass and shoot? Drive and dish? Will he sit you like Thib did to booz? This would be a great year to sit in during camp. Everyone will be busting butt to get minutes.

This is my depth chart:

PG: Trey Burke, Dante Exum, Diante Garrett
SG: Dante Exum, Alec Burks
SF: Gordon Hayward (re-sign), Rodney Hood, Jeremy Evans
PF: Enes Kanter, Jeremy Evans
C: Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert

IMO, this year's draft is just like the 2003 draft. The 2003 draft had 4 "transcendent" players: LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade. Well, as per this year's draft, I think that there are going to be 4 "transcendent" players: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum. You don't draft a player in the top five and not start him right away. Unless you are the stupid Jazz with Deron Williams or if you have clear-cut starters established ahead of him. IMO, Alec Burks' is better suited to come off the bench. He could be our "James Harden"-type player from Oklahoma City lore. If the Jazz were to go with the depth chart above, all five of their starters would have been top ten draft picks, with three of their four primary bench players as first round picks. I think that it will be very telling as to how the Jazz are going to proceed forward in free agency. If they sign a decent back-up Point Guard, I think that it will signal that they are going to start Dante at the two, instead of giving him all of the back-up minutes behind Trey. Our free agent period might be as important and interesting this offseason as the draft was. Okay, not that interesting, but still very interesting. We are going to be way under the salary cap. I think that we can afford to easily match any offer that is given to Gordon. I don't know if we will sign anybody else because our other young players' contract extensions are coming up, and we need to have space to be able to either extend them or re-sign them. Still though, I love the direction that the Jazz are going. With the young talent we have, I think that we could have a similar season this year to the Jazz in 2005-2006 right after they draft Deron Williams.

Sent from my System Product Name using Tapatalk

Pg:Exum/Neto/Burks
Sg:Hayward/Burks/Exum/Hood
Sf:Hood/Hayward/Evans
Pf:Kanter/Evans/Favors
C :Favors/Kanter/Gobert

Exum,Burks,Hayward,Hood,Evans,Kanter,Favors all playing multiple positions in flexible lineups

Neto and Gobert would play more traditional positions

Trade Burke get picks
Bring in bad contracts get picks
Get something for Tomic rights
Sacrifice a lamb get picks

Last edited:
I think minute distribution right now is:

PG: Burke(30) Exum(12) Garrett/Neto/whoever (10)
SG: Exum(20) Burks(32)
SF: Hayward(32) Hood(20)
PF: Favors(35) Evans(17)
C : Kanter(32) Gobert(20)

I decided to distribute a total of 52 minutes per position, as I calculate that people will be injured and miss games. That shifts per game averages.

I think minute distribution right now is:

PG: Burke(30) Exum(12) Garrett/Neto/whoever (10)
SG: Exum(20) Burks(32)
SF: Hayward(32) Hood(20)
PF: Favors(35) Evans(17)
C : Kanter(32) Gobert(20)

I decided to distribute a total of 52 minutes per position, as I calculate that people will be injured and miss games. That shifts per game averages.

I'll be a little surprised if we don't re-sign Marvin and he takes minutes at Evans and Gobert's expense (not playing for Gobert, but meaning more time with Favors or Kanter at the 5). I'm excited as hell, though, to see what that back court get out and run. I re-watched a lot of the Exum videos others have linked and am really impressed with his lateral quickness and juke moves. I think having him, Burke and Burks running the open floor will open things up for Hayward to get easier shots and not have to dribble around the perimeter thinking how he is going to create on his own. Hood, too, I think will bring a lot of offense. Little concerned about how many points we give up, though. I don't count anyone on this team as an elite defender. Shot blockers, yes, but that doesn't always equate with good defense... Still, bring on October!

I'm seeing a starting unit (perhaps not right away) of Exum/Hayward/Williams/Favors/Tomic, followed by a bench of Burke/Burks/Hood/Kanter/Gobert, with a third string/injury substitutions from Garrett, Clark, and Evans.

I don't like Marvin. If we add a veteran. Please pay someone to be a locker room influence. A real leader. Someone who's in the gym int he morning before Dante arrives and is in the gym when everyone else starts getting cramps. Someone who can be the voice and ear for the coach in the room, extended arm on the floor, judge and rolemodel.
If we hadn't picked Hood, I'd have said overpay Deng and let him influence everyone on the roster in a way that their individual development progresses faster.
Don't know if there's other similar guys like him who could take Evans rotation minutes.

Maybe Josh McRoberts or Shawn Marion. Or get Nash as a wheelchair Yoda who teaches Exum how to use the force. I could imagine Jason Terry as well.

I don't know what to make of this roster. We're young and have a lot of potential. Especially with a coach who seems competent and is supposedly strong in player development. That's exciting. Very exciting. And I'm very interested in seeing how much all of these guys grow this year.

The flip side is I feel we have so many young, promising guys that there's not enough minutes to go around for them to fully develop or develop as quickly as I'd like, I guess. Burke, Exum, Neto, Burks, Hayward if he's matched, Favors, Kanter, Gobert and to a lesser degree, Hood, need a lot of court time imo.

Regardless, I'm stoked and hope Exum has the It factor I think he has, can develop his shooting, and we grow by leaps and bounds this year...but not too much because I'd love another high pick next year.

This is my depth chart:

PG: Trey Burke, Dante Exum, Diante Garrett
SG: Dante Exum, Alec Burks
SF: Gordon Hayward (re-sign), Rodney Hood, Jeremy Evans
PF: Enes Kanter, Jeremy Evans
C: Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert

IMO, this year's draft is just like the 2003 draft. The 2003 draft had 4 "transcendent" players: LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade. Well, as per this year's draft, I think that there are going to be 4 "transcendent" players: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum. You don't draft a player in the top five and not start him right away. Unless you are the stupid Jazz with Deron Williams or if you have clear-cut starters established ahead of him. IMO, Alec Burks' is better suited to come off the bench. He could be our "James Harden"-type player from Oklahoma City lore. If the Jazz were to go with the depth chart above, all five of their starters would have been top ten draft picks, with three of their four primary bench players as first round picks. I think that it will be very telling as to how the Jazz are going to proceed forward in free agency. If they sign a decent back-up Point Guard, I think that it will signal that they are going to start Dante at the two, instead of giving him all of the back-up minutes behind Trey. Our free agent period might be as important and interesting this offseason as the draft was. Okay, not that interesting, but still very interesting. We are going to be way under the salary cap. I think that we can afford to easily match any offer that is given to Gordon. I don't know if we will sign anybody else because our other young players' contract extensions are coming up, and we need to have space to be able to either extend them or re-sign them. Still though, I love the direction that the Jazz are going. With the young talent we have, I think that we could have a similar season this year to the Jazz in 2005-2006 right after they draft Deron Williams.

Sent from my System Product Name using Tapatalk

I'd be OK with this but want to add two things. Neto over Garrett and bring over Tomic as well. Tomic would give us more flexability at the 4 and 5 as it is another C that can allow Favors at the 4 on certain matchups.

Then drill them on D and the PnR till they turn blue in the face. Then do it again and again and again...when they are not doing that they are working on their shot. All of them.

My minute distribution is as follows:

PG: Burke(30) Exum(18) Neto
SG: Exum(12)Burks(30) Hayward (6)
SF: Hayward(24) Hood(24)
PF: Williams (24) Kanter (30) Evans,Thomas, Erik Murphy
C : Favors (30) Gobert(12)

This leaves room for Tomic and/or a couple salary fillers traded for draft picks or free agents if the right one is there. I think the Jazz are significantly improved at coach, point and small forward already even if nothing else happens and despite our youth.

No perimeter D/No perimeter D/No perimeter D
Kanter or Favors
Kanter or Favors/Gobert

How is that? The Jazz always carry 3 PGs. They surely won't pick up the option on JL3 and Neto would get the nod over Garrett.
Someone told me they already picked up the option on lucas.

Want to see some small ball lineups with Hayward at the 4 w/ Favors at the 5. Think Snyder might try it too.

Lol @ anybody who think 19 year old Dante Exum will start ahead of Burks. If a young player is going to start (which he's not - DL basically said he will back up Burks and Burke last night), you're going to start him at his natural position where he is most comfortable.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2