What's new

People have lost their damn minds

TheItinerantSon

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-vickdogs092110

So according to this article vick was forced to spend a court mandated one million dollars on rehab for the dogs on his property.

They could have literally put 25 kids through college, but instead they decided to put 50 dogs through therapy. This is the height of lunacy.

The animal rights people are the most dangerous political group in this country.

So according to this article vick was forced to spend a court mandated one million dollars on rehab for the dogs on his property.

They could have literally put 25 kids through college, but instead they decided to put 50 dogs through therapy. This is the height of lunacy.

The animal rights people are the most dangerous political group in this country.

I don't know if they are the most dangerous but they are the looniest. Have you ever noticed they typically have an excess of free time on their hands and wads of expendable income? People like Pam Anderson.

I still find it retarded that Vick went to federal prison over the incident. There were so many other ways that he could have spent that time which would have been more beneficial to himself and society.

A guy I went to high school with did less time for bank robbery than Vick did for abusing dogs.

The federal punishments were not for dogfighting, but dogfighting obviously had a lot to do with the severity of the federal punishments. And he didn't even get the Maximums on those as I recall. The way I see it, the Fed worked legally within sentencing guidelines to send a strong message to current and aspiring dogfighters in the administration of a "tangential" case.

I have no idea what the punishment would be for running a rinky dink numbers racket between Ohio and Pennsylvania, I only know that hundreds of dogs wouldn't be tortured, killed, or gruesomely executed in the course of it. Vick should feel very lucky he committed his crimes when there aren't strict animal cruelty statutes on the state level. When states catch up to dogfighting, the Fed case against him would have been peanuts.

oh please...

i do (well i have the tech do) worse things than that to animals every single week.

god help me if these animal rights extremists ever come to power

oh please...

i do (well i have the tech do) worse things than that to animals every single week.

I'm sure I am wrong sometimes, but I can't help but judge the character of people that harm animals for the hell of it and feel no remorse.

Set fire to you.

And I'm on your team. I get the diversionary argument that Mike Vick might have been unfairly sentenced as a first time offender in an intrastate gambling racket. But it's hard to separate the underlying circumstances of that racket. I'm lost to understand how torturing and killing animals should result in parking tickets or minor jail sentences. As I remember it, dogs were hanged, drowned, shot, and electrocuted. And that's when they weren't fighting to the death. Where does the sympathy come in for that?

oh please...

Funny, I read the exact opposite on Respectful Insolence. Outside of what needs to be done for testing, the treatment of lab animals needs to mmet certain standards. I'm pretty sure your techs aren't instructed to have the animals attack each other for up to a couple of hours at a time.

the animal rights people call what we do 'vivisection'. And in california they protest and bomb and try to physically intimidate researchers with things like this.

i will admit that the animals are definitely scared and feel pain because of our procedures

some of the labs even use dogs or primates...

so i really fail to see any difference between what we do, and what vick did, and what your average farm does.

the animal rights groups use cases like vick to consolidate the public opinion and push the consensus further and further towards animal rights.

I've lived in towns where its now illegal to own an outdoor dog...(as if air-conditioned houses are the natural environment of dogs). People buy pet insurance and have surgeries done for their family pets (that's their right...but it seems to be horribly wasteful to me).

--

but im not even complaining about the jail time...i'm over that and he seems to be a more mature person for it (not that thats the govts job...making people more mature).

I'm astonished that teh govt would confiscate 1 million of his dollars and use them not for poverty relief or education or anything that benefitted humans, but instead for the rehabilitation of some damn dogs

That has always been my biggest complaint/misunderstanding of the justice system, the prison terms and sentences handed out.

the animal rights people call what we do 'vivisection'. And in california they protest and bomb and try to physically intimidate researchers with things like this.

I disagree strongly with the extreme animal rights organizations on many things.

i will admit that the animals are definitely scared and feel pain because of our procedures

some of the labs even use dogs or primates...

so i really fail to see any difference between what we do, and what vick did, and what your average farm does.

Unless I have misunderstood, in your lab you attempt to minimize pain and fear because that makes animals harder to work with. I've heard farmers talk about the importance of keeping their animals comfortable (and in the case of pigs, intellectually occupied). By contrast, dog fighter deliberately raise their dogs to be angry and fearful, and to inflict and endure pain. I see a difference, and I'm not sure why you don't.

I'm astonished that teh govt would confiscate 1 million of his dollars and use them not for poverty relief or education or anything that benefitted humans, but instead for the rehabilitation of some damn dogs

I agree.

They could have literally put 25 kids through college, but instead they decided to put 50 dogs through therapy.

I agree that it does seem an unfortunate waste of resources - particularly when there are plenty of animal care groups who do fundraising to support these types of efforts.

As far as animals used in research, from those I know who've had experience with this sort of thing, it seems it's very tightly controlled - almost to the point of requiring informed consent, LOL!

(ok, just kidding, but some of the restrictions and paperwork that's involved make it seem like the lab rats get a higher standard of care than the people)