What's new

PG and first team O this year

zman1527

Just wondering what our O looks like this year with a different PG than the end of last year with Dante out. I doubt it will be Trey due to his inability to facilitate, especially with Hayward.

What if Neto, a pass first PG starts? Seems like that will be a big change from Dante's "hand it to Hayward and go stand in the corner game". Not sure how it works, but I think it would be fun to see with options like Hay, Favs, and Burks/Hood to pass to.

As good as hood is and after reading naos thoughts this summer I'm leaning towards Burks, hood, Hayward, favors, and Gobert to play allot of minutes together.
**** a point guard

As good as hood is and after reading naos thoughts this summer I'm leaning towards Burks, hood, Hayward, favors, and Gobert to play allot of minutes together.
**** a point guard
No doubt Quin's offense does NOT need a traditional PG. I'm just worried on the defensive end. Gobert can stop some penetration, but he can't erase chronically poor perimeter defense. How many open 3's would that lineup give up?

I hope Trey learns that his DISINTEREST (not inability) in involving others is what's marginalized him and he learns to correct his mentality. If he doesn't show that he's learned and fast, he's going to go the way of Morris Almond.

I'll keep saying it until I don't believe it: this team needs a proven player at the PG spot sooner than later. Getting a guy in camp is better than hoping to get a guy mid-season and try and cobble him into the culture/system. I would love it if some of our current guys stepped up and really impressed, but I also hope I get to ride on a moose bareback one day. I'm not holding my breath.

No doubt Quin's offense does NOT need a traditional PG. I'm just worried on the defensive end. Gobert can stop some penetration, but he can't erase chronically poor defense on the perimeter.
Burks/hood combo won't be any worse defending the perimeter than trey/Burks or hood imo..... In fact I think it will be better

Just wondering what our O looks like this year with a different PG than the end of last year with Dante out. I doubt it will be Trey due to his inability to facilitate, especially with Hayward.

What if Neto, a pass first PG starts? Seems like that will be a big change from Dante's "hand it to Hayward and go stand in the corner game". Not sure how it works, but I think it would be fun to see with options like Hay, Favs, and Burks/Hood to pass to.

Neto is pass first pg? I haven't seen him play a single NBA game....

No doubt Quin's offense does NOT need a traditional PG. I'm just worried on the defensive end. Gobert can stop some penetration, but he can't erase chronically poor perimeter defense. How many open 3's would that lineup give up?

What offense.

Yeah, no traditional pg if you want the next to the worst assisting team in the league to play even less as a team.

I promise you we would

Would still be the lowest scoring team in the league, by far. 26th in points last season and 29th in assists. The last thing we need is to attempt to strengthen defense at the expense of what little, pathetic offense Quin has going.

We need an upgrade on offense and that means more assists and better team facilitation. Burks for Burke is a downgrade in virtually every single metric.

Would still be the lowest scoring team in the league, by far.
This is a possibility but think we would be just fine scoring with that lineup. I think having a point guard (trey burke) that shoots horribly from the field, doesn't get to the line, takes too many shots, and doesn't get assists is about as bad as you get for the pg position.
26th in points last season and 29th in assists.
Are these the jazz rankings while running out a lineup of Burks, hood, Hayward, favors, and Gobert?

For me, the argument is about Burks VERSUS the rest of the currently available options. I think Burks wins.

For me, the argument is about Burks VERSUS the rest of the currently available options. I think Burks wins.

This. The Jazz obviously love the size advantage Dante brought at PG. I feel confident Q will go with the best starting lineup possible and IMO its:

Burks/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert

**** small ball.

There's only one way to squash these moranic fantasies and that's to try them and see them fail. You will get a bit of Burks-Hayward-Hood, and it won't go well. There's a reason every NBA head coach uses a point guard.

Burks/hood combo won't be any worse defending the perimeter than trey/Burks or hood imo..... In fact I think it will be better

Right, but I'm comparing it to having Exum start and having Millsap play quite a bit at the 2. Neither could shoot a lick, but they were two of the reasons our defensive rating was so good after the break. It wasn't 100% Gobert.

This. The Jazz obviously love the size advantage Dante brought at PG. I feel confident Q will go with the best starting lineup possible and IMO its:

Burks/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert

**** small ball.

With that starting lineup the second unit will score about 2 ppg.

There's only one way to squash these moranic fantasies and that's to try them and see them fail. You will get a bit of Burks-Hayward-Hood, and it won't go well. There's a reason every NBA head coach uses a point guard.

Would rep if I could. MAYBE Burks can play some backup PG. But he's NOT going to be an adequate starting PG in the NBA.

And by "traditional PG," I think you misunderstand me. Jazz DEFINITELY need a PG to bring the ball up and one who can match up against opposing PG's. But we don't need to have a traditional one in the sense that all the offense runs through him. We have Hayward, Burks and even Hood who are going to be play makers. We don't need a Stockton, Williams or Burke who stand and dribble at the top of the key waiting to either initiate the P&R or try to break the opposing PG down and go 1-on-1 as Deron and Trey did/do.