What's new

Philosophers that interest you, and why (Jazzfanz Philosophy Thread)

Lets start this 'ish with ma boi Kawl.

220px-Marx_old.jpg

Saw the ill effects of capitalism-- proposed many interesting ideas, like false-consciousness, social metabolism (some of the first socio-environmental writings were his). Obviously some of his ideas are difficult to agree with, but a cool thinker nonetheless.

But yeah, no. Do you guys like Nietzsche? Paul of Tarsus? Are you guys lame, and stick to just Aristotle and Plato?
Aquinas, Avicenna, Khaldun?

Share some of your preferred philosophers, some of their writings, and why you like them.

This should be a fairly low-argument, high-learning thread that many will enjoy :)

TUPAC

"You can never 'just be friends with' someone you fall in love with."

... and Hank Williams Jr. (too bad they never got a chance at a duet)

Nietzsche's criticism of the entirety of the Western philosophical tradition since the Ancient Greeks is in many ways spot on. His actual philosophy is a lot less interesting. All the other philosophers you mentioned operate on archaic metaphysical worldviews with interesting bits and pieces here and there. Ibn Khaldun offers good insights on economics, and Avicenna is actually quite important for his updates on Aristotle's philosophy. Hume has a lot of insightful ideas on the nature of skepticism, and slightly less insightful ones on empiricism. Kant's views on aesthetics and subjective experience are worth investigating. The Renaissance political philosophers are quite informative in their own way, with the exception of Thomas Hobbes.

As for the ones I personally like, I find Saint Augustine to be really dark and somewhat entertaining. I think anyone who wants to write/produce Christian-inspired horror media should study Augustine so that they can understand how deeply disturbing some interpretations of Christianity can be. But he didn't really influence my thought.

I find Karl Popper to have had the biggest effect on my thought, but I disagree with plenty of his ideas, specially on the problem of free will and consciousness. I also admire David Deutsche almost as much, and I love the fact nobody knows who he is. I also enjoy the work of instrumentalists, like John Dewey and William James, as I see that approach to be the most interesting critique of inductivism (which in the end is far superior).

There are others of course, but that's a decent overview of my leanings.

Edit: I must also mention Spinoza, to whom I feel a strange sense of kinship.

EDIT:
Hahaha, Hume had poor insight on empiricism? He's the first to posit a philosophy based on external relations, which is the core of all non-**** empiricism.

Nietzsche's "actual philosophy" isn't "interesting"... but his critique is good? The first thing anybody learns about him is that his philosophy IS his critique. The second is that he's the least understood philosopher in the anglophone world if you think about stale structures.

Sheeeet braugh, it's time to log off Wikipedia and actually read the texts.

My list:
Gilles Deleuze, Henri Bergson, David Hume, Gilbert Simondon, Spinoza, Nietzsche, and of course, jazzfan_2814

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frieghtens us/ We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing elightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us. it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our prescence automatically liberates others.

I do not know the auther.

Hahaha, Hume had poor insight on empiricism?

Sheeeet braugh, it's time to log off Wikipedia and actually read his texts.

My list:
Gilles Deleuze, Henri Bergson, David Hume, Gilbert Simondon, Spinoza, and of course, jazzfan_2814

I never said that. I said his work on empiricism and skepticism is insightful, but I favor his thought on the latter.

And do get over yourself.

POPPER is a dead letter. Only tweed wearing scientists who don't read out of their discipline and think science is the sole key still worship him.

POPPER is a dead letter. Only tweed wearing scientists who don't read out of their discipline and think science is the sole key still worship him.

I'm not sure what the cause of your rectal pain is. But I do suggest you consult a doctor, instead of a New Age nonsense peddler, for this one.

I'm not sure what the cause of your rectal pain is. But I do suggest you consult a doctor, instead of a New Age nonsense peddler, for this one.

Ah, perfectly phrased... right from the ivory tower of reason.

My problem was your hatchet job on Hume and Nietzsche.... I thought that was pretty clear?

Ah, perfectly phrased... right from the ivory tower of reason.

My problem was your hatchet job on Hume and Nietzsche.... I thought that was pretty clear?

I already explained that you misunderstood my opinion on Hume. But I'm not going to stand in the way of you crying about it, if you insist. Secondly, you edited Nietzsche into your response after my question. So no it wasn't clear.

Either way, I have no interest in this petty argument. I'm sure you'll find someone else who likes a different set of thinkers. Lash out on them.

Aristotle, Plato, Soctrates, Godel, Kant, Descartes, Wittgenstein, Locke, Frege, Leibniz, Kindi, Farabi, Haytham, Sina, Ghazali (NDT doesn't know **** about him and misrepresents him), Tufail, Rushd, Arabi, Tusi, Khaldun, Iqbal, and Swinburne

All these guys are my favorite philosophers and have played a huge impact on my philosophy including theism and morality, Kant is probably my favorite for morality.

I already explained that you misunderstood my opinion on Hume. But I'm not going to stand in the way of you crying about it, if you insist. Secondly, you edited Nietzsche into your response after my question. So no it wasn't clear.

Either way, I have no interest in this petty argument. I'm sure you'll find someone else who likes a different set of thinkers. Lash out on them.

My petty-ness is a mirror to the modernist stride you took into a discussion about who inspires you -- dropping names of masters while dismissing large tracts of their thought.

Taking Philosophy seriously is like jumping into a cesspool filled with gators.

too much work. . . . . no good food. . . .. and you just get sucked in with the crap and all. . . .

oh well, maybe another day. . . ..

you guys seem pretty impressive. be nice.

Cornel West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7EU0-mjw5M

OK, so I like this guy. He could be my model of where philosophy fails, for all the effort expended. Most folks don't have the time or inclination to bother this much with philosophy. Some who somehow can do this end up chattering from the back seat while someone else does the driving. Figuratively. For their entire lives.

I like the philosophy of a plains Indian on his horse, or the cowboy punching cows up to the railroad stockyards, or the farmer with the shovel or the plow. Maybe the pilot looking up at the sky trying to figure the flight path, or the housewife with a grow box planting tomatos.

but most of all two kids casting off on the sea of love. . . .

where's the glory of Philosophy? You just gotta find joy in your life in the daily flow of things.

I like Dostoyevsky, but I don't think Russian serfs have the monopoly on grounded wisdom or even endurance. Lifting them out of their slavery under the Czars, only to throw them under the bus of Statism, didn't bless them. Can't find any goodness in the sophistry of Marx, no truth. People have to find their own stars to guide them to their own joys.

I like the Apostle Paul, but I don't think suffering is a worthwhile end in itself, though it seems to shape people sometimes in ways that can be truly awesome. . . .

I like this guy when he says people need the courage to have hope, to have joy, to have their own way, to have their own "faith", to be different as they may choose.

But who was the philosopher who said it all. .. . .

Live Free, or Die trying.

OK, so I like this guy. He could be my model of where philosophy fails, for all the effort expended. Most folks don't have the time or inclination to bother this much with philosophy. Some who somehow can do this end up chattering from the back seat while someone else does the driving. Figuratively. For their entire lives.

I like the philosophy of a plains Indian on his horse, or the cowboy punching cows up to the railroad stockyards, or the farmer with the shovel or the plow. Maybe the pilot looking up at the sky trying to figure the flight path, or the housewife with a grow box planting tomatos.

but most of all two kids casting off on the sea of love. . . .

where's the glory of Philosophy? You just gotta find joy in your life in the daily flow of things.

I like Dostoyevsky, but I don't think Russian serfs have the monopoly on grounded wisdom or even endurance. Lifting them out of their slavery under the Czars, only to throw them under the bus of Statism, didn't bless them. Can't find any goodness in the sophistry of Marx, no truth. People have to find their own stars to guide them to their own joys.

I like the Apostle Paul, but I don't think suffering is a worthwhile end in itself, though it seems to shape people sometimes in ways that can be truly awesome. . . .

I like this guy when he says people need the courage to have hope, to have joy, to have their own way, to have their own "faith", to be different as they may choose.

But who was the philosopher who said it all. .. . .

Live Free, or Die trying.

Well there is a saying that Philosophy is like "Being in a dark room and looking for a black cat". There is some truth to that.. and what you said above may be a valid solution.

Unfortunately even if I say, to me, having a house by the sea and enjoying living there each day is the meaning of my life - it still doesn't answer the question of "Why we are here"?

I think that's when spirituality steps in... no matter how we try to reason within ourselves using what we can feel with our senses (primarily with what we can see), we have to admit there are things we can't experience physically, but nonetheless they are there, because otherwise we, or the universe itself, couldn't have existed.