What's new

Pierce, Kemba, Utah

It was reported by Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein. Once asked about it, both Mike Conley and his agent (who is his father) denied any such rumors.

His agent/father said he first saw that on the internet. He never said, nor indicated, to anyone that Conley doesn't play for Utah or any other team, according to him.
And so what if he made an off-handed remark upon hearing the rumor? Who really WANTS to be traded from their home? I have no doubts whatsoever that he would be a consummate professional AT A MINIMUM.

And so what if he made an off-handed remark upon hearing the rumor? Who really WANTS to be traded from their home? I have no doubts whatsoever that he would be a consummate professional AT A MINIMUM.

No question. I doubt him or his agent ever indicated that he doesn't want to play in Utah. But I am sure he prefers to stay with the team he's played with his entire career, in a city with rich black culture and history.

What do you think he meant by kemba and Mitchell being too small but conley and Mitchell not being to small? And what did he mean by conley has better size than kemba?
Kemba: 6 foot 1 and 184 lbs.
Mike conley: 6 foot 1 and 175 lbs.

What am I missing? Or do you think his entire post was being sarcastic like he was trying to say that they are the same in a sarcastic way? What did that post mean?
I took it as sincerity and don't see any sign of sarcasm. He seemed to have good points (and true points) about conley being a better defender and better suited to play off ball.

Conley to me always seemed bigger and Kemba’s height always seemed exaggerated to me. At UCONN he looked barely about 5’10”.
I’ll take the L on this, but I stand by that Conley is better off the ball, a better defender, and has a slightly longer wingspan which makes him seem bigger to me.

At this point, I'm not sure I want Conley. He's too expensive and not just in terms of his salary. To get him this summer, wouldn't the Jazz either have to pick up the option on Favors and then trade him and Exum for Conley, or renounce Favors, Rubio, etc and be far enough under the cap to absorb the $32M salary? Plus add to that any assets Memphis will want. It was rumored they wanted Exum + a first, but what about now? Exum is hurt again. Maybe they'll want a couple of firsts instead. I'm guessing they want salary relief and wouldn't want Favors on a 1yr, $17M deal, not for a rebuilding team. A trade this year would have left them with Exum and a 1st, plus $17M they could have renounced.

And then Utah is faced with opportunity costs. Let's say Favors and Exum are gone (either for Utah to get under the cap or as part of the trade). Once Utah goes under the cap, all they have left is cap space and the room exception. Gone is the MLE. Gone is Favors. And Utah is left with the room exception and rookie or vet minimum deals to get a backup center, a decent PF and a backup PG (unless Neto becomes the #2).

Biggest lost in all of this is Favors, of course. While Conley is surely an upgrade over Rubio, I question whether the upgrade is sufficient to lose arguably the best backup center in the league, plus a starter at PF. Is Jae the answer there? I don't think so. And Utah has then spent another 1st on a 2-yr rental of a PG.

Last edited:
If we can get kemba we absolutely should. That would take us to another level. Imagined Lillard and McCollum with Gobert and Ingles?

I think I just came a little.

Utah has played some of its best basketball this season with Mitchell at point. Instead of going after a PG like Conley or Kemba what about going after a 2-guard and permanently move Mitchell to point. Maybe there would even be $$$ to bring back Rubio as third Guard off the bench on similar deal they gave to Exum???

What do people think about Derozan if Spurs decide it's not the long term fit for them ?
Then I’d think the same thing the Spurs would be thinking.

ETA: oif... just looked at his 3P% this year. 15.9%.

I think we would be awesome with both players. I think our defense would be fine with kemba.

Gun to my head with salaries taken into consideration (I'm putting brogdan at no more than 20 million) I take brogdon. But I do think kemba makes us slightly better than brogdan just that brogdan would be cheaper puts him slightly over kemba.

Really though, get whichever you can for whatever they cost. Beggars can't be choosers and the jazz are beggars in the free agency sweepstakes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah, they both improve us but in different ways. Kemba and DM are a very difficult to contain backcourt pairing capable of combining for 50-60 points on any given night. Like others have said, defence might be a question mark, but presumably that's mitigated somewhat by surrounding them with Gobert, Favors and Ingles.

Brogdan on the other hand, although obviously not the offensive weapon Kemba is, just seems to be a really good fit. He's kind of already like what people imagine Exum becoming when they talk about the potential of a long-term Exum/Donovan backcourt.

I’m just the messenger.

2xvsok.jpg
False Messenger.