What's new

Play GM for the Jazz - What would you do?

Shocker00

Using the Projected Salary Cap of 99M and Projected Luxury Tax of 119M try and build the best team you can. Here are the rules:

1. You must use current Jazz players, free agents, and rumored players to be traded.

2. All trades must be reasonable and work in ESPN trade machine. You must explain why the team's make the trade.

3. When aquiring players on free agency you must explain why they would sign with the Utah Jazz.

4. You must list approx salary rounded up of all players you assemble for the team.

5. Your allowed to go over the luxury tax by 5m to assemble a team you think can compete for a championship.

I will go first:

1. I trade Derrick Favors, Alex Burks, Donovan Mitchell, and OKC 2018 first rd draft to Indiana for Paul George. If Indiana is not interested in either Burks or Favors we might have to get a third team involved but this should be enough to get a deal done.

Reason for Indiana:
Paul George is leaving after this year and I don't think they will receive a better offer than this from anyone else on a one yr rental. Even if Favors turn out to be a rental they would have lost PG anyways, plus if Alex Burks has a good year they will get some value there as well. The best part for Indiana is they get Donovan Mitchell who they really like and a 1st round pick in 2018

Reason for Jazz:
Looks like the Jazz is giving up a lot at first glance but they really are not in my opinion. This is most likely Favors last year and by trading Burks we get much needed cap space. The Jazz do lose the OKC 18 pick and Donovan Mitchell but the Jazz also gets Paul George increasing the odds that Hayward stays with the Jazz. George says he might sign in Boston if they are able to get Hayward, why not sign in Utah where it's closer to LA and play more games per year in LA.

After the trade happens:

Worst possible scenario is the Jazz don't win Championship and PG moves on to the Lakers freeing up cap room for Exum and Hood. We most likely would have lost Favors anyways.

Best possible scenario is that it influences Hayward and Hill to both sign here as Hill played with PG in Indiana and PG mentioned he would like to play on the same team as Hayward. II think PG will be comfortable playing with Hill, Hayward, and Gobert. If that doesn't incoursge him to stay here then he won't stay in Boston.

2. The Jazz dump Boris Diaw

3. In free agency I would first sign Hayward to a 5 yr 176m contract making 30m his first year. I would the sign Hill to a 4yr 78m contract making 17m his first year. And last but not least, I would sign Ingles to a 4 yr 47m contract with him making 11m his first year.

Hayward: Takes the contract to play with the Jazz after the Jazz trades for Paul George. I believe Hayward would sign with Boston if they got PG.

Hill: After learning about Paul George trade and Hayward agreement Hill decides to take a little less than the Max to be on a contender.

Ingles: likes the Jazz and the team assembled and decides to also sign a contract taking less than he could have gotten else where. But still a decent contract non thed less.

4. Sign a couple minimum salary scrubs to round out the team.

Hayward 30m
Gobert 21.25m
George 19.5m
Hill 17m
Ingles 11m
Johnson 10.5m
Exum 5m
Hood 2.4m
Neto 1.4m
Bolumboy 1.4
Bradley 1m
Scrub 1 minimum salary
Scrub 2 minimum salary

Approx cost 122m

Team assembled:
G Hill D Exum R Neto
P George R Hood
G Hayward J Ingles
J Johnson J Bolomboy
R Gobert T Bradley

Your turn...

Last edited:
I don't see that trade as reasonable. Let me make this clear for all those that foolishly think we have the assets to trade for a star... WE DONT!!! STOP!!

Let me ask you, what do you think is reasonable for a 1 year rental? What would you trade to have Paul George on this team? I would imagine only contenders would be interested in a one yr rental. Possibly Cleveland, Boston, Houston, San Antonio, Golden State, LA Clippers, Utah. I don't think Cleveland has any assets that Indy would be interested in, Boston wouldn't give up the 3rd overall pick to get Butler so I'm sure they wouldnt on a rental. Rest of the team's I'm not sure about. How many team's are willing to give up key pieces to be runner up to GSW? I personally feel when PG said he was going to sign next year with the Lakers he destroyed most of the value he had. I actually think the only reason a deal hasn't been done is because Indiana is having trouble getting what they want in return. You can say yeah, but Utah gave up a 13th overall pick for George Hill but he didn't say it was just a rental and he would be gone no matter what. If he had said that the Jazz probably would have done something different. Paul George is only worth what someone is willing to lose next year and nothing more. Butler only got Chicago Levine, Dunn, and moved up in the draft 9 spots. If that's the most Chicago could get I don't see Indiana getting much in return. Just my opinion and I could very well be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Btw I can see Paul George having more value to the Celtics and Jazz then the other teams because if one of them get PG then they have the edge of signing Hayward as well

The ESPN trade machine is So dumb. Let's people who have no lives pretend they are gms. Once again jazz fans over value their players. Lol

QUOTE=Shocker00;1437979]Using the Projected Salary Cap of 99M and Projected Luxury Tax of 119M try and build the best team you can. Here are the rules:

1. You must use current Jazz players, free agents, and rumored players to be traded.

2. All trades must be reasonable and work in ESPN trade machine. You must explain why the team's make the trade.

3. When aquiring players on free agency you must explain why they would sign with the Utah Jazz.

4. You must list approx salary rounded up of all players you assemble for the team.

5. Your allowed to go over the luxury tax by 5m to assemble a team you think can compete for a championship.

I will go first:

1. I trade Derrick Favors, Alex Burks, and OKC 2018 first rd draft to Indiana for Paul George. If Indiana is not interested in either Burks or Favors we might have to get a third team involved but this should be enough to get a deal done.

Reason for Indiana:
Paul George is leaving after this year and I don't think they will receive a better offer than this from anyone else on a one yr rental. Even if Favors turn out to be a rental they would have lost PG anyways, plus if Alex Burks has a good year they will get some value there as well. The best part for Indiana is they get a 1st round pick in 2018

Reason for Jazz:
Looks like the Jazz is giving up a lot at first glance but they really are not in my opinion. This is most likely Favors last year and by trading Burks we get much needed cap space. The Jazz also gets Paul George increasing the odds that Hayward stays with the Jazz.

After the trade happens:

Worst possible scenario is the Jazz don't win Championship and PG moves on to the Lakers freeing up cap room for Exum and Hood. We most likely would have lost Favors anyways.

Best possible scenario is that it influences Hayward and Hill to both sign here as Hill played with PG in Indiana and PG mentioned he would like to play on the same team as Hayward. Also to note is that Donovan Mitchell would practice with the Pacers and PG helped Mitchell on his game. I think PG will be comfortable playing with Hill, Hayward, Mitchell, and Gobert.

2. The Jazz dump Boris Diaw

3. In free agency I would first sign Hayward to a 5 yr 176m contract making 30m his first year. I would the sign Hill to a 4yr 78m contract making 17m his first year. And last but not least, I would sign Ingles to a 4 yr 47m contract with him making 11m his first year.

Hayward: Takes the contract to play with the Jazz after the Jazz trades for Paul George. I believe Hayward would sign with Boston if they got PG.

Hill: After learning about Paul George trade and Hayward agreement Hill decides to take a little less than the Max to be on a contender.

Ingles: likes the Jazz and the team assembled and decides to also sign a contract taking less than he could have gotten else where. But still a decent contract non thed less.

4. Sign a couple minimum salary scrubs to round out the team.

Hayward 30m
Gobert 21.25m
George 19.5m
Hill 17m
Ingles 11m
Johnson 10.5m
Exum 5m
Hood 2.4m
Mitchell 1.8m
Neto 1.4m
Bolumboy 1.4
Bradley 1m
Scrub 1 minimum salary
Scrub 2 minimum salary

Approx cost 123.5m

Team assembled:
G Hill D Exum R Neto
P George R Hood D Mitchell
G Hayward J Ingles
J Johnson J Bolomboy
R Gobert T Bradley

Your turn...[/QUOTE]

#1 - I think Hayward leaving so my plan is without him.

#2 - If leaves, we have to plan for title contention in 2019 and beyond. Summer 2019 is when GS should start shaking up due to contracts.

#3 - I want to add a player with tons of potential who goes with our presumed core of Gobert, Exum, Hood, Mitchell, and Bradley.

So this trade: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9btbeto

Indy gets Favors, Randle the OKC pick and 2nd rounders
LA gets PG and Jefferson
We get Ingram and Deng

Indy gets Randle to put next to Turner long term. Favors is also a player who might fit there giving them 3 good bigs. Dumping Jefferson is a good thing for them. They save a ton of money in this deal ($14 million).

LA has to get PG before Boston. They want Ingram, but they need PG. Plus, dumping Deng lets them dream big even though we hope they fall flat.

Ingram is a perfect player for Quin to groom to go with the core I mentioned. We get him over Indy because we take Deng's horrendous deal.

Look to dump Diaw for a contract to get a pick. Maybe flip JoeJ too.

Result

PG Exum, Neto, NWG
SG Hood, Mitchell, Burks
SF Ingram, JoeJ
PF Deng, Bolomboy
C Gobert, Bradley
We sign a solid PF like Gibson and a PG like Teodisic.

With this roster, we have everything for the next 5 years except our PF. Honestly, I think that is the position we can toy with most since we have Gobert with them. We can go small a bunch, or find some hustle guy, or find a shooter, whatever. Also, we avoid the luxury since Ingram's big payday doesnt happen until after Deng and Burks waive bye bye.

We win two titles between 2020 and 2024.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't see that trade as reasonable. Let me make this clear for all those that foolishly think we have the assets to trade for a star... WE DONT!!! STOP!!

U don't think we land a star for Gobert, Hood, exum, 2 firsts?

Now calm down.

I changed the trade above to include more:

Indiana gets Favors, Burke, Mitchell, OKC 2018 1 Rd draft pick.

Utah gets Paul George

Reason for Indiana is they get something in return for PG. Donovan Mitchel was always practicing with the Pacers and they really like him, they also get OKC 1rd draft pick along with Favors and Burks. If they Don't want Favors we could get a third team involved and send favors to them and they send a lottery protected 1st Rd pick in return

Reason for Jazz is they re-sign Hayward to a 5 yr deal and sign Hill and Ingles for long term deals. If PG was serious about Signing a 3yr contract in Boston if they sign Hayward then he might sign here as well. Even if he doesn't the Jazz could be a legitimate contender this year

I like how Lopo's plan is to free up cap-space for teh Lakers so they can get Paul George and Lebron James.

I guess the Jazz enabling the Warriors dynasty wasnt enough, we need to revive the Lakers one too.

I like how Lopo's plan is to free up cap-space for teh Lakers so they can get Paul George and Lebron James.

I guess the Jazz enabling the Warriors dynasty wasnt enough, we need to revive the Lakers one too.
Keep taking shots low life.

I want the Lakers to sell off Ingram so they THINK they can get James. Their arrogance will be their demise. Same thing NY has done for years. NY is this, Big Apple, Madison Square Garden, blah, blah, blah.

You always have to think a few steps ahead.

Keep taking shots low life.

I want the Lakers to sell off Ingram so they THINK they can get James. Their arrogance will be their demise. Same thing NY has done for years. NY is this, Big Apple, Madison Square Garden, blah, blah, blah.

You always have to think a few steps ahead.

I think you are a few steps behind if anything.

NYK is in a rut because they are dumb.

The Lakers management and ownership have improved greatly this past year. They are going back to being a top destination, like it or not.

I think you are a few steps behind if anything.

NYK is in a rut because they are dumb.

The Lakers management and ownership have improved greatly this past year. They are going back to being a top destination, like it or not.
In less than a year, they have signed Mozgov and Deng to highly inept contracts. So much so, they just traded the 2015 #2 in order to dump one of these contracts (Mozgov).

The Lakers only have 2 sure things - Lonzo and Ingram, a couple mediocres (Clarkson, Randle) and trash. Oh, and Magic. Yay.

In less than a year, they have signed Mozgov and Deng to highly inept contracts. So much so, they just traded the 2015 #2 in order to dump one of these contracts (Mozgov).

The Lakers only have 2 sure things - Lonzo and Ingram, a couple mediocres (Clarkson, Randle) and trash. Oh, and Magic. Yay.

You are aware that was Mitch Kupchak and the Buss son who did those signings, right? They have since been fired and have nothing to do with LA anymore.

Like I said, a few steps behind.

Best Case: Every wants to stay and Hill/Ingles don't demand a ridiculous amount of money from competing offers.

1. Pray Hayward re-signs with the Jazz
2. If he does, negotiate with Hill. 4 years 68 million would be my entry offer. I would go up to 60 million/3 years
3. Dump Burks w/ Jazz's 1st round pick (lottery protected just in case)
4. Re-sign Joe Ingles, up to 36/3.
5. Try to extend Hood at 60/4.
6. Offer Patrick Patterson 3 year MLE, I think that's 24/3 (this may be too cheap, but maybe he takes it knowing he would be a starter)
7. If successful in that, look to trade Favors, preferably for while taking no $$$ (or minimal) back. Would look for a 1st round pick and hopefully some kind of rookie contract player. Example: If we deal with the Suns, one of their Miami picks and Derrick Jones Jr for Derrick Favors. The Sun's willingness to do that deal could hinge on the moves Miami is able to pull of this off-season (if they murder this off-season and become a clear playoff team, which is likely, I see them considering it heavily).
8. Cut Diaw

When Hood's contract extension kicks in next year, that will probably put them into the tax (or it might not? The difference between Johnson's contract ending and Hood's contract enacting combined with the cap rise might offset, not positive). They will have to make a decision then on Exum based on how good he did this past year. Pray Hood had a good, injury free, year. If he plays to his potential, the 60/4 year contract will look great and be a trade-able asset if Exum proved himself a more valuable asset than Hood.

If I'm counting right, that brings the Jazz roster to 13 players under contracts. They could look to sign 2 more players to minimum contracts. Clearly PF is the position of weakness, at least in terms of depth. In my scenario we never traded Diaw, we just waived him, so I think we could bring him back on a minimum contract if he was willing. That would obviously be a good fit, but IDK how willing Diaw would be to stay in the NBA and not play. Other guys could be Dante Cunningham, Kris Humphries, Brandon Bass, James McAdoo or Adriend Payne. Cunningham would be my top target, but I also think he is probably getting more than the minimum from someone else. Or maybe the Jazz go with a rookie, either one who has spent time in the D-League or overseas, to fill the last two spots. NWG could also be one of these players, but I'm going to go ahead and just put him on a 2-way contract. I'm going to assume this was probably already agreed upon when drafting him so he doesnt have much leverage.

Team would be:

Hill/Exum/Neto
Hood/Mitchell/
Hayward/Ingles/Jones Jr.
Patterson/Johnson/Minimum contract player
Gobert/Bradley/Bolomboy

Nigel Williams-Goss and TBA on the other 2-way contracts. I like this dude Eric Griffin's highlights, so why not him?

That gives the Jazz a team under the LT who will be together for about 3 years at the minimum.

There is probably a plot hole somewhere in there, but yeah, I like it.

There's no way Phoenix does that trade lol and your offer for Hill is laughable considering all the ******** you spewed for weeks when others proposed similar deals.

@cy

Nice work. You've turned the corner and are now among the best posters here.

So.. kids.. apply yourself and you can do anything.

P.S. I hate/love you Cy.

You are aware that was Mitch Kupchak and the Buss son who did those signings, right? They have since been fired and have nothing to do with LA anymore.

Like I said, a few steps behind.
You said this past year. This new management "has potential" but their only move has been dumping the #2 pick from 2015 to dump a contract. Oh, and they drafted a loud mouth's son. They have failed so far in getting PG.

How many titles did Kupchak and Buss usher in to LA? And what has the new management done?

LA will screw it up. Just wait for it. Many steps ahead my friend. Look many steps ahead...

If they are smart, they dump Ingram to dump Deng to make sure they get Paul George. If he signs an extension in Boston, they traded Russell for nothing. Oh wait, Kyle Kuzma....

This is oh so similar to one conversation I had about a year ago. I said: "we should trade Gordon Hayward for the Nets pick" and I got roasted. I'm often wrong. However, when I'm right, its usually well before most see the writing on the wall.