What's new

Player alters gender but remains on women's team

"Junior Kye Allums -- who used to be known as Kay-Kay -- is referred to on the school's website as a "male member of George Washington's women's basketball team."

That's INSULTIN! Callin it a "women's team," ya know? Buncha homophobes.

certainly points out how complicating these issues are

doesn't say much other than he's still really a she when you get down to the nitty-gritty details

GW senior vice provost Robert Chernak, who is the school's senior vice president for student academic and support services, said Allums "has informed the university that he will not begin any medical or drug protocols while a student-athlete. The university consulted the NCAA regarding his competitive status. Kye will continue to be a member of the women's basketball team."

I think we really do need to develop some new vocabulary to deal with situations like this. Frankly, it seems that she is still female, regardless of how he's/she's choosing to identify herhimself, and I don't think it sounds right to say it's a "man" on the woman's team,
...is referred to on the school's website as a "male member of George Washington's women's basketball team."

Maybe we need to incorporate terms like "himher" and "herhim" or something...
or why not just say "a member of the GW women's team..." and omit the specific identifier

ie: himher/heshe would be a biological female in some stage of transition to a male, and herhim/shehe would be a biological male in some stage of transistioning to female

I know it sounds sorta stupid, but it makes sense.

From now on, Imma dawg, not no damn human bean. Always have been, actually. Knowwed it from the day I was born. Don't run round INSULTIN me suggestin otherwise, got it.

I guy at my high school played on the softball team (he really was a guy, and wasn't pretending to be anything else).

He remains a women until done with college. That is why. He simply is being called and acting like a man but nothing else has changed.

said Allums "has informed the university that he will not begin any medical or drug protocols while a student-athlete. The university consulted the NCAA regarding his competitive status. Kye will continue to be a member of the women's basketball team."

He remains a women until done with college. That is why. He simply is being called and acting like a man but nothing else has changed.

Then why are ya callin her "he," I wonder?

Kinda makes my po head spin. I'm so confused.

I was always told that Shakespeare was sum kinda genius, but I done got wised up. He aint nuthin butta damn homophobe who just don't git it.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"

Homophobe of the last millenium, right there, see what I'm sayin?

I was always told that Shakespeare was sum kinda genius, but I done got wised up. He aint nuthin butta damn homophobe who just don't git it.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"

Homophobe of the last millenium, right there, see what I'm sayin?

Crazy, I just posted the same thing. Didn't even read your post. I love the line in Boardwalk Empire where the bug eye'd guy says it and then says, "Read a beeping book."

This is just like the story with the homecoming queen/king from Michigan a couple months back.

These stories create interesting discourse - but it's a shame that it takes a borderline histrionic to bring them to light as it has in both cases.

There is an Andrew Dice Clay bit I wanted to reference in this post, but didn't for fear of being banned, for the record.

There is an Andrew Dice Clay bit I wanted to reference in this post, but didn't for fear of being banned, for the record.

Ya mighta done crossed the line already, eh, Chi? Clay, that rhymes with ***, which starts with "G," which stands for "gone."

From now on, Imma dawg, not no damn human bean. Always have been, actually. Knowwed it from the day I was born. Don't run round INSULTIN me suggestin otherwise, got it.

But you're allowed to do that to other people? You love throwing around slurs and questioning the sexual orientation of the members on this board.

Hypocritical explosion.