What's new

Players bound for a big leap next year

Agent#00

Who are the guys who will step up next season? And who will fall off?

Big leap

Kessler- I see him running for DPOY and some offense like shooting. Very promising kid

John Collins - jazz have always been a great destination for rebound guys. He’s gonna help us.

Lauri - Allstar Last year is just the beginning. JC and Hendricks can help him on defense. Extension year coming up.

Clarkson - year 2 as starting SG just means better understanding of the game. I see more facilitator role like the first quarter of last year. He’s playing for FIBA that’s gonna help him.

Guys who will fall off

KO- obviously we need to give minutes to Jc and Hendricks. He will still contribute but I don’t see him starting.

Sexton - he’s gonna be here for a while but the future looks like Keyonte as starting PG, Dunn as 2nd unit pg and tht as 3rd. His double hamstring injury is a concern maybe he gets moved at the trade deadline.

My 2 cents my 2 cents my 2 cents

I feel the opposite on almost everyone on your list:

Kessler: The sophomore slump is a real thing, especially for rookies who outplayed expectations.

Lauri: I do feel like he has another level he can get to, but it feels unfair to expect that after his historically good season last year.

Clarkson: I think he stays about the same.

KO: Should play better if he's going against second units.

Sexton: I think he was just getting started last year and injuries derailed some progress. It seems like he's doing all the right things this off season, he might have a big jump.

Only one I agree on is Collins, but mostly because he couldn't do much worse than last year. I also believe his shooting for the second half of last year was real and that he's going to have renewed energy playing in a new system.

My list would probably be:

Improve:

- Agbaji - will be a lot more comfortable to start the season.

-THT - Hopefully a year with our development staff will make a difference.

Tech - Couldn't be much worse, should be better acclimated to NBA.

Worse:

Dunn: Hard for me to believe his shooting was real.

We’re a pretty young team, which means most of our players will likely be better than last season. If we stay reasonably healthy, I think the Jazz will be stronger than people think.

I think Kessler and Lauri will be much of the same, with some improvement here and there. Feels optimistic to say they should take huge leaps to me.

I believe and hope THT can take a huge step, and I think Collins will as well.

I think Ochai is the most obvious candidate to make a big leap. Kessler is second. Both were limited minutes wise last season and both were rookies so they are the obvious ones imo.

I think Ochai is the most obvious candidate to make a big leap. Kessler is second. Both were limited minutes wise last season and both were rookies so they are the obvious ones imo.

Kessler was already good is the thing. If he takes a big leap, he'll be an all star level player.

I think a change of scenery and playing in Hardy's system will do Collins a world of good. I think he has a bounce back year and averages around 18 and 10 and gets his 3P% back above 35%.

Kessler: The sophomore slump is a real thing, especially for rookies who outplayed expectations.
Usually you make a lot of sense but this is a curious take.

His contributions were 90% rebounds, rim protection and putbacks. We didnt run almost any offense through him.

How do you see that slump manifesting? What areas would he regress in?

Maybe Collins will steal some of his rebounds, and those numbers wont be as great per 36... but other than that imo Kessler is the most bankable 2022 rookie to not have a slump.

Usually you make a lot of sense but this is a curious take.

His contributions were 90% rebounds, rim protection and putbacks. We didnt run almost any offense through him.

How do you see that slump manifesting? What areas would he regress in?

Maybe Collins will steal some of his rebounds, and those numbers wont be as great per 36... but other than that imo Kessler is the most bankable 2022 rookie to not have a slump.

I don't actually think he'll regress, but think it's wise to temper expectations. I think the Sophomore slump is mostly due to better scouting, but also due to increased expectations.

For example I'm a big fan of Evan Mobley, who similar to Kessler had a great rookie season due to his defense. Even though he played well last year many considered his Sophomore season dissapointing because of increased expectations.

I've seen some talk of Kessler making an all star team or being a DPOY candidate. That would be amazing, and I wouldn't put it past him, but I'll just be happy if he plays as well as he did last year. I think most players take a leap their third year.

I don't actually think he'll regress, but think it's wise to temper expectations. I think the Sophomore slump is mostly due to better scouting, but also due to increased expectations.

For example I'm a big fan of Evan Mobley, who similar to Kessler had a great rookie season due to his defense. Even though he played well last year many considered his Sophomore season dissapointing because of increased expectations.

I've seen some talk of Kessler making an all star team or being a DPOY candidate. That would be amazing, and I wouldn't put it past him, but I'll just be happy if he plays as well as he did last year. I think most players take a leap their third year.
Yeah I can see your point. Wouldnt call it slump if it happens though.. but its definitely realistic to assume his offense might take more than a few years to develop into something consistent.

My candidates for biggest jumps in performance (ranked):
Sexton
Collins
THT
Kessler
Ochai

Last edited:
kessler! that video of him hitting all those 3s in a row and hitting them on the move was very impressive. i see him making huge improvements. maybe a 15 and 10 guy average. that would be huge. so excited.

Kessler was already good is the thing. If he takes a big leap, he'll be an all star level player.
yes he was. But due to low minutes (23 per game) he only averaged 9 points and 8 rebounds. Not really eye popping all star player type numbers.
I expect him to get 30 minutes per game and average 14/15 points and 12/13 rebounds this season which is a pretty big jump imo.