What's new

Playoff Meet Up

I bet Snowbird is open until sometime in June this year. The other Wasatch resorts have plenty of snow to stay open right now. The problem is that all of their employees are already leaving and it's nearly impossible to attract enough ski vacationers to make it worth the resorts while after April 1.

I’d heard it’s because they have to pre-pay their liability insurance so they have to pick a date in summer/fall. Mid April is usually a safe bet.

I’d heard it’s because they have to pre-pay their liability insurance so they have to pick a date in summer/fall. Mid April is usually a safe bet.

That’s interesting

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I think i remember one year a long time ago when the ski resorts were open in july. I could be wrong though, just seems like i have a memory of people going skiing on 4th of july. Thats insane

I used to work in management at a ski area and we had this discussion nearly every year. Insurance was never an issue. We could easily extend it. What we could not solve was the mass exodus of our employees, and more importantly, the mass exodus of our customers. Even when conditions are great in the spring, most people's minds are not on skiing. And with Snowbird perfectly positioned to operate late into the season (Tram, Little Cloud, and some of the best late season terrain in the Wasatch) I doubt it will ever make sense for another Utah resort to compete with them after mid-April.

I think i remember one year a long time ago when the ski resorts were open in july. I could be wrong though, just seems like i have a memory of people going skiing on 4th of july. Thats insane

I once skied at Snowbird on the 4th of July. I saw one of the worst accidents I've ever seen. Someone cartwheeled all the way down Old Ladies. Looked like a rag doll. Left in a helicopter. Horrifying to witness.

I used to work in management at a ski area and we had this discussion nearly every year. Insurance was never an issue. We could easily extend it. What we could not solve was the mass exodus of our employees, and more importantly, the mass exodus of our customers. Even when conditions are great in the spring, most people's minds are not on skiing. And with Snowbird perfectly positioned to operate late into the season (Tram, Little Cloud, and some of the best late season terrain in the Wasatch) I doubt it will ever make sense for another Utah resort to compete with them after mid-April.

That makes more sense. I’d never fully bought or understood the insurance theory.