What's new

Playoff rotation

Et tu Brute

Assuming that players are 'ready to go' - what is the most likely breakdown.

My big questions are:
1) Does Q pull the trigger and start Ingles?
2) Is Neto the preferred backup (and if he's injured??)
3) Does Exum see the court? Will he get minutes alongside Hill?
4) Will Favors play starters minutes?
5) Will Gobert play the most minutes in the series? (I hope he suddenly doesn't get into foul trouble)
6) Will Q look to foul Jordan at important moments?

My two bits:

PG: Hill (36mpg), Exum/Neto/Mack (8mpg), Ingles (4mpg)
SG: Hood(25mpg), Ingles (20mpg), Exum (3mpg)
SF: Hayward (40mpg), JJ (8 mpg)
PF: Favors (20mpg), JJ (18 mpg), Diaw (10mpg)
C: Gobert (40mpg), Favors (8mpg)

I have just pulled this completely from wherever...

What should the Jazz do?

I think JJ gets a little more burn than OP says. He's a wily old vet that this isn't his first rodeo. I would move Hayward and Gobert down to 36 minutes. We need to stay fresh.

Assuming everyone is healthy I would start:
Hill
Ingles
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

Off the bench I would use Hood, JJ, and some combination of Exum/Neto depending upon the match ups. I would only play AB and Diaw is spot minutes or based upon foul trouble or blow outs. They would not be part of the rotation. Hate to say that about AB but it is the reality.

Assuming health, Hill, JJ, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hood all get 30 MPG. Boris and Ingles play a lot, and Mack and Withey will play a bunch in certain games. Otherwise, I think that is about it. Ex, AB, Neto, etc will only play when they are playing well and in certain matchups, so almost never.

Neto is the one wild card though, he could play extremely well and get a bunch of minutes if he is healthy.

Assuming health, Hill, JJ, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hood all get 30 MPG. Boris and Ingles play a lot, and Mack and Withey will play a bunch in certain games. Otherwise, I think that is about it. Ex, AB, Neto, etc will only play when they are playing well and in certain matchups, so almost never.

Neto is the one wild card though, he could play extremely well and get a bunch of minutes if he is healthy.

Unless Hood gets some degree of consistency I hope he gets a lot less than 30 minutes a game. When he is on he plays like and all star but that has been a rarity this year.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
I'd use a strictly 9 man rotation of:

Rudy (40 mins)
Favors (25)
Hayward (40)
Hood (24)
Hill (35)

Joe J (30)
Joe I (24)
Exum (15)
Diaw (7)

This is probably a pipe dream thinking that Favors/Hill/Hood can play these, but I'll dream anyway.

It really depresses me not to have Alec on there, but he's play has been garbage lately. I hope he either shocks me or pulls it together in the off season and steps his game up. I still have faith in him.

40 minutes a game for Rudy and GH may be a bit of a stretch, but it needs to be at least 36 or so barring foul trouble.

I don't think there needs to be any set figure on minutes played.

The jazz are pretty deep this year, so just go with the players doing the job on the night.

Hayward and Gobert will play big minutes, but anyone else will depend on how there playing.

Rudy (40 mins)
Favors (25)
Hayward (40)
Hood (24)
Hill (35)

Joe J (30)
Joe I (24)
Exum (15)
Diaw (7)

This is probably a pipe dream thinking that Favors/Hill/Hood can play these, but I'll dream anyway.

It really depresses me not to have Alec on there, but he's play has been garbage lately. I hope he either shocks me or pulls it together in the off season and steps his game up. I still have faith in him.

40 minutes a game for Rudy and GH may be a bit of a stretch, but it needs to be at least 36 or so barring foul trouble.

That would be my 9 man rotation as well. Maybe give Withey some minutes in a hack a Jordan situation. Neto or Mack could see some if Exum or Hill are struggling in a given game.

Jingles will start, Exum will play, Favors will play as many minutes as his body can.

Playoff ready and fit
Gobert
Hayward
Ingles
JJ
Diaw

Playoff ready, not fit
Hill
Favors

Fit, not playoff ready
Exum
Lyles
Mack
Neto
Bolomboy

I have no idea
Burks (we need this guy)
Withey
Hood

Rudy (40 mins)
Favors (25)
Hayward (40)
Hood (24)
Hill (35)

Joe J (30)
Joe I (24)
Exum (15)
Diaw (7)

Good post. I agree that should be the rotation. A little less minutes for hayward and gobert.
Maybe fat boris minutes go up a bit as he has been playing his best ball of the season lately and fat boris could lean on griffin a while and maybe wear him down a little.

Playoff ready and fit Burks (we need this guy)

Burks's play has radically diminished. It seems he has lost some confidence. There have been times where he has been given the ball to make a play and instead he has been deferring and has passed it off to someone else. He doesn't seem sure of what to do, how to create for others, like Ingles or even Mack, for instance. At least Mack, though he has far less ability than Alec is far better at creating because he doesn't lack the confidence.

Another thing about his finishing. I haven't watched that closely but I have a feeling that he takes his eye off the rim or square on the backboard when he's finishing and only trying to draw a foul which could be why he is not converting. I remember when I was playing in a men's league and was missing a lot of my drives, one of my teammates said you're taking your eyes off the basket. So I followed his advice and voila I stopped missing.

I had been thinking about this today. I would go with:
Hill
Ingles (He's earned it)
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

With Exum, Hood, and Johnson as our key reserves. If Exum plays poorly then I would play Mack (or Neto when healthy) in the second half of games. I would play Diaw and Withey spot minutes to keep Favors and Johnson fresh.

Sorry Burks, Lyles (have been awful) and Bolomboy (too inexperienced)