What's new

Playoff seeding tiebreakers

Jazz fan since 79

I know this is too long, sorry. For the short version, scroll through for the red font or skip to the last paragraph.

I wanted to keep track of this somewhere, and this seems as good a spot as any. This is where I think the Jazz stand relative to tiebreakers with the other playoff teams, (seems obvious we won't catch GS and Denver but I included them anyway). Please feel to correct any errors.

According to the NBA's website, here is the order for tiebreakers (when two teams tie, but seems fairly consistent when multiple teams are tied):
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
(3) Division won-lost percentage (only if tied teams are in same division)
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games

GS - GS won season series 2-1. Tiebreak GS

Denver - Jazz currently leading season series 2-1. If Jazz win game 4 Jazz would have tiebreaker. If they lose, Denver likely has the next tiebreaker as the division winner, but if they don't win the division, the Jazz cannot catch them on division won-lost %. Tiebreak Denver.

Houston - Season series tied 2-2. If Houston wins their division, (currently 2.5 games up on Spurs) they win the tiebreak. Next would be conference W/L (because Jazz and Houston not in same division). Houston is currently 26-20, Jazz 25-20. Too lazy to figure out the remaining tiebreakers. Tiebreak TBD (but seems likely Houston).

Portland - Season series tied 2-2. Assuming Denver wins the division (Portland currently trails them by 4.5 games) next tiebreak would go to division won/lost. Jazz currently 7-8 (one division game remaining (Denver)), Portland 4-9 with three division games left Denver twice and T-Wolves. Decent chance Jazz win this tiebreaker. If not, next tiebreak is conference W/L. Jazz currently at 25-20, Portland 23-22. After that, too lazy to figure out the remaining tiebreakers. Tiebreak TBD.

San Antonio - Jazz won the season series 2-1. Tiebreak Jazz.

OKC - OKC won the season series 4-0. Tiebreak OKC.

LAC - Jazz lead the season series 2-0 with 1 game left, so Jazz have already won the season series.
Tiebreak Jazz.

Jazz are actually in a better position than I thought. They hold the tiebreakers over SA and LAC, have a decent chance to get it over Portland, and are not out of the running to have it against Houston and Denver. Only two teams they for sure wouldn't have it against are GS and OKC.

Doesn't look like any of this will change. The Jazz will have the tiebreaker against Portland, SAS, and LAC.